Are you afraid of cleaning or vacuuming? Then worry no more, because vacuuming has been made easy with the upright vacuum which allows you to stand without straining your back throughout the vacuuming process– you don’t have to worry yourself because all the required tools to make your cleaning session a breeze are provided.
Most homes find upright vacuums to be the best because of their unique styles in a variation -bagged and bagless cleaners that are adjustable and easy to use. These types of vacuum cleaners are portable and handled to ensure a safe, easy and effortless cleaning. If you are considering buying an upright vacuum, here are some ideas to help you select the best.
How to Choose an Upright Vacuum
- Consider why and where you need to clean- large or tiny space, nylon, polyester or carpets and also the ability to clean a smooth surface.
- Filter options- most vacuum clears are made with disposable, washable or Hepa filter options to choose from.
- Weight and capacity. How heavy is the vacuum cleaner and how much dirt can it accommodate?
- Check for reviews and warranty of the vacuum cleaner to clear all unanswered questions.
- Warranty options are to be considered so as to know if the vacuum is of excellent performance and replaceable parts.
Advantages of an Upright Vacuum
- Clean once with an upright vacuum; other vacuums require two-time cleaning for best results but an upright vacuum cleans off all dirt intensely after one pass.
- Motorized brushes which promote the easy movement of the vacuum from one room to another effortlessly and is a great choice for deep cleaning of rugs or carpets.
- Height and stability. Most of these vacuums are high and stable to use even by someone with an aching back and at any height level.
- It is very cheap and affordable. It also gets more cleaning done within a short time.
- Most upright vacuums make little or no noise while in use and are durable, long-lasting, effective and easy to operate.
- Cleans pet hair from your rugs and removes allergen by making the air breathable. Most upright vacuums have anti-allergen and HEPA filtration system to keep you healthy and free from dust or bacteria.
Disadvantages of an Upright Vacuum
- Upright vacuums are large and make cleaning of delicate parts of the house hard to clean.
- Increase electrical bills by consuming hundreds or thousands of wattage.
- Heavy constructions that make lifting of vacuum strenuous.
Attributes of an Upright Vacuum Cleaner
- Suction power- this is what determines the speed and effectiveness of the vacuum. A vacuum cleaner with high suction power will clean more dirt.
- Bagged or Bagless option-most vacuums have two dirt options, that is the bagged vacuums which are usually disposable and bagless which consist of the dirt cup.
- Corded or cordless technology- corded vacuums weigh heavier than cordless vacuums. Corded vacuums are for large cleaning while cordless is easy to maneuver.
- Filtration system- vacuum cleaners have one or more filtration systems which are the HEPA, disposable, or washable filter system. Some vacuums have one or more filtration technology.
- Attachments- consider the accessories or attachments that come with the vacuum cleaner such as upholstery tool, retractable cord, crevice tool, hose and switch on or off brush rollers.
- Wand and bin capacity- a vacuum should have a large bin capacity which means large cleaning capacity and a telescopic wand for extended cleaning of hard to reach surfaces like ceiling, windows, and walls.
The Best Upright Vacuums For A Sparkling House
One of the best vacuum cleaners for households with pets is considered to be the Dyson Ball Animal 2. If you’re thinking about purchasing this product for your home, there are a few things that we want to go over so that you can determine whether or not this product delivers the performance your home needs.
This model is a corded upright vacuum that excels in terms of performance, but also offers a very comfortable vacuuming position. Due to the height of the unit, it takes less bending over to reach difficult places, which makes it the perfect choice for people who have or are prone to developing back pain, as well as for those with restricted movement that require a reliable vacuum for pet hair and dander.
The dedicated pet grooming tool that comes with this purchase allows you to get rid of hair that’s stuck on multiple surfaces, but the wide array of accessories included in the box aren’t to be neglected either. One downside that we noticed in particular is that the strong suction force of the vacuum sometimes makes it difficult to push on certain types of carpets.
On bare floors, the Dyson Ball Animal 2 upright vacuum cleaners are excellent. It glides across multiple surfaces smoothly, offering ease of use with little to no effort on your behalf. It comes with a large dirt compartment that might make it a bit difficult to use under couches and tables, but the ball-shaped wheel comes into play and makes it more easy to maneuver.
It delivers quality performance on low-pile and high-pile carpets, as it is capable of removing large amounts of pet hair regardless of the surface in question. Even on high-pile carpets, it can easily remove fine particles of fine debris, so if you ever spill sugar on the carpet, the Dyson Ball Animal 2 upright vacuum cleaner can successfully do its job.
If there is one situation where you’ll notice some difficulties, that would be cleaning the stairs. This upright vacuum tends to be quite bulky, so carrying up and down the stairs while lingering on the way to clean them can be rather difficult. However, this is an exceptional product overall, and definitely one of the best options for homes that have to deal with pet hair being all over the place.
The Eureka Powerspeed upright vacuum is another product we wanted to mention because of the value it delivers considering the relatively low cost. It promises deep carpet cleaning and is delivered with a crevice tool and a dusting brush, to expand the pool of cleaning situations that the product can handle. Since you can adjust the height, you should be able to comfortably use this product.
It has a bagless design and an extra-large dust cup that can hold up to 2.6 liters of dust. That means that if you live in a small home, you won’t have to empty the dust cup that often. It works on multiple surface types, from tile and marble to thick carpets and shag rugs.
The Bissell Cleanview Swivel Pet Upright Vacuum Cleaner solves the problem of cleaning pet hair in the home. Designed with specialized pet tools and features to attain maximum and excellent performance by keeping your home looking sparkling clean.
The Cleanview swivel pet has swiveling steering that has the ability to clean around and beneath furniture and other obstacles in your home. The edge-to-edge cleaning abilities help you clean with confidence knowing that you will get a better and cleaner surface with each pass.
The brush rollers feature a triple-action lift, which can be loosened in order to dispose of embedded pet hair. It also includes a scatter free technology with silk-like bristles which makes cleaning and removal of debris a breeze.
Who should purchase this?
This vacuum cleaner is designed for people who have allergies or asthma and pet owners who find it hard to clean pets’ hair.
- Triple action brush rolls with multi-cyclonic suction technology
- Swiveling steering and scatter free technology
- Ability to clean different types of surface or floor and large dirt cups
- Bagless with silk-like bristles and attachments.
- The suction power of the hose is not reliable.
Dyson praises Animal 2 as the most potent upright vacuum, which has a unique and high performing suctioning power which is what makes a great vacuum. This suction power makes Dyson Animal 2 an outstanding cleaning tool and it stands out among other vacuums.
Switch between hardwood and carpets by using the self-adjusting option to easily maneuver and clean the entire surface. The self-adjusting cleaner head thrusts deep into rugs or carpets to trap dust or animal hair and doesn’t require manually switching of adjustment.
The cyclonic technology minimizes suction power and traps in more microscopic organisms. And its wand and hose make cleaning of hard to reach surfaces easy.
This vacuum cleaner features a HEPA filtration to help those with severe allergies clean with easy and without fear and also keep your hand clean when disposing of the dirt by pressing the button on the bin. It also has a five years warranty that covers any complaint or replacement of parts.
Who can purchase this?
This vacuum cleaner is designed to clean the toughest stains or dirt found in homes with kids and pets. It is great for parents and pet owners.
- Strong suction power
- Excellent for cleaning pet hair
- Five years warranty
- Self-adjusting cleaner head with sturdy bristles.
- HEPA filtration technology
- Swift and fast release wand
- Limited hose capacity and adjustability.
- Not suitable on high-pile carpet
Shark Rotator Professional Lift-Away Upright Vacuum is a portable design that carries has all the advantages of a larger vacuum cleaner. It’s is designed to clean the toughest stains with ease and provide a quite vacuuming session.
This vacuum is a versatile cleaner with a cannister, and upright model deliver the best cleaning results on carpet, hard floors, upholstery, curtains and walls. It comprises an XL-capacity dust cup for lengthened vacuuming.
This Lift-Away upright vacuum has a pet power brush for easy cleaning of pet hairs and also features a detachable canister and an LED lights for cleaning of hidden dirt or debris, swivel steering, XL-capacity dust cup, Anti-allergen, flexible crevices Technology and a HEPA filter system that is washable.
This bagless corded cleaner is easy to assemble and has a large dirt cup that measures 1.3quarts.
Who should purchase this?
This vacuum cleaner is perfect for homes with carpet or hardwood and also works well in cleaning pet hair.
- Shark rotator with Lift-Away pod Good air performance at the end of the hose
- Noiseless vacuuming
- Easy to assemble
- Large dirt cup which is easy to dispose
- Anti-allergen and HEPA filtration.
- LED lights located at the nozzle for easy cleaning of dark corners
- Not very portable
- Does not have a telescopic wand
Dust Buster Options
When you’re looking for a compact handheld vacuum cleaner that delivers plenty of suction power to handle stubborn dust and first, this Bissell model can be a true treasure. It is designed to remove quick messes made by pets regardless of the surface in question.
It has a bagless design that uses battery power to provide about 30 minutes of runtime on a full four-hour charge. It measures 7” H x 16.5” W x 5.6” D and weighs 4.6 pounds, which makes it pretty easy to maneuver.
Whenever you have to deal with unexpected messes, having a dustbuster like the Dirt Devil can really come in handy. This compact unit is ready to deal not only with pet messes, but also with different dirt and spills, being useful in a variety of situations.
It has a lightweight design that makes it easy to maneuver the unit with minimal effort on your behalf. It is powered by a lithium battery that charges pretty fast (on a full four-hour charge it will give about 10 minutes of runtime).
Coming in at 4.5 pounds, we have this DeWALT dustbuster which is designed mostly for industrial use. That’s because it comes with a HEPA filter which can professionally remove even the smallest particles. The best part is that the filter is washable, so you don’t have to worry about purchasing additional filters.
It comes with a ½-gallon tank that is easy to empty and clean. The hose is high quality and made with solid rubber, which makes it flexible and durable at the same time.
The Milwaukee dustbuster is another product that we wanted to talk to you about because it’s a customer favorite that delivers good performance for a decent price. It weighs five pounds, so it’s not the lightest option we’ve looked at (the Dirt Devil weighs a little over one pound) but it’s still a product that’s easy to manipulate and use.
The canister is easy to empty, as you simply open it and allow all the content to fall right into the trash can. It comes with a bunch of accessories, such as a floor tool, a crevice tool, and an extension wand.
How to Use the Upright Vacuum Cleaner
Most vacuum cleaners comprise of six fundamental parts which are: the intake port, exhaust port, electric motor, passable bag, fan, and housing for all the parts. Without these components, your vacuum cleaner will not work.
To start using your vacuum cleaner, you will need to decide which part of the room to start from, then pack up all toys, clothes or accessories that may be laying on the floor and plug in your upright vacuum cleaner.
After that, adjust the settings of your vacuum- highest settings for carpets and lowest for hardwood floors, then switch on the vacuum and tilt backward, and clean from the center of the room by swiveling back and forth, angle or sideways to ensure that all dirt, dust or debris are properly cleaned and adjust the height of the vacuum.
Use the attachments to clean furniture, wall or ceiling and then empty the bag or dirt cup. Move the next room and continue the same cleaning process. When you are through with vacuuming, clean the vacuum and keep it in a safe place for future use.
If you have some debris left after vacuuming for the first time, run it over again till you get a clean surface.
Prerequisites of an Upright Vacuum
Before buying an upright vacuum, you need to consider some requirements that make the vacuum a good cleaner. This includes Eco-design, power options, and electrical consumption.
Eco-design has to do with energy, speed, performance and product description of the vacuum cleaner. The energy of the cleaner determines the durability of your cleaner and the speed limit shows how intense the vacuum can clean debris. And always read the product description to ascertain the correct information about the product.
Power options have to do with the switch on and off mode. You should consider the adjustability of the vacuum, that is, how easy to switch on and off and standby mode. The standby mode is very important because it helps you change the angle without switching off the vacuum cleaner.
Electrical consumption is a requirement for a good vacuum because you don’t want to purchase a vacuum that will consume more wattage and lead to more spending.
How Often Should You Vacuum?
This can be very tricky questions because the correct answers need to take a lot of variables into account. It’s one thing to live alone in an apartment studio and a completely different thing if you’re a family of five living in a two-floor house. On average, experts recommend vacuuming the house at least once a week, and for good healthy reasons.
Different types of floors can be more or less of a dust magnet, and nobody really likes to look at a dirty floor. However, the problem with not vacuuming goes way deeper than aesthetics, and can pose some serious health concerns. The accumulation of dust and dirt can worsen a person’s allergies and favors the development of bacteria such as Campylobacter or Staphylococcus.
As mentioned earlier, there are multiple factors that come into play when you’re looking to establish how often you need to vacuum:
- The type of floor you have is the first consideration. Tile and hardwood floors should be vacuumed every week because they are not as prone to holding dust and dirt. Carpeted floors, on the other hand, are very likely to trap dust in their fibers, but will also absorb spills, grime, allergens, and dirt. They should be vacuumed twice per week.
- If you have pets, you might need to vacuum the house every day. It’s very common for households with pets to have floors filled with dander and pet hair. If you have pets that go outside, they’re bound to bring in some bacteria that can lead to stomach infections. Sometimes, you won’t have to vacuum the entire house every day, but rather focus on the rooms where your pets spend the most time.
- Room usage also determines how often you have to vacuum. Spaces with high traffic each day need to be vacuumed frequently, and that includes kitchen, hallways, and children playrooms. Spaces that are rarely used can be vacuumed biweekly.
Canister vs. Upright Vacuums
Vacuum cleaners are divided into multiple categories, so when you’re shopping for a new vacuum, you might be wondering which type is most suitable for you. Two of the most common categories include canister and upright vacuums, so we wanted to take a look at the main differences between them:
- In terms of noise, both types of vacuum cleaners are pretty loud, with upright vacuums being about 5 to 10 dB louder compared to canister models.
- Canister vacuums are more compact and lightweight compared to upright models. While the difference in pounds between these two categories may not seem like much, their design will make the weight noticeable when you’re actually using them. Canister vacuums have stationary parts and you mostly move the lightweight hose and head around, whereas an upright vacuum requires pushing and pulling the entire unit around.
- Upright vacuums usually have bagless designs, which makes them easier to clean as opposed to canister vacuums. You mostly have to press a button or push some switch and you will release the dust bin which can be easily emptied, cleaned, and put back into place. Some canister vacuums have disposable bags, which means you’ll have one extra purchase to consider.
Frequently Asked Questions (FAQ)FAQ
What is the best upright vacuum?
The best upright vacuum needs to be chosen based on the individual needs of your home and your family. If you have to clean a large home with plenty of traffic, you’re going to want to look for features such as large dust canisters or long power cords. For families with pets, you want to seek models that are designed to perform well when it comes to removing pet hair and dander.
What is the best upright vacuum cleaner?
There are plenty of brands that deliver quality upright vacuum cleaners, from Dyson and Shark to Bissell and Miele.
How to empty Dyson upright vacuum
In order to empty your Dyson upright vacuum, you are first going to have to read the user manual that comes with the product purchase. Don’t worry if you lost it, as Dyson has all the information needed on their website. Make sure your vacuum is disconnected from the power source. You’re going to have to empty the clear bin by releasing it according to the instructions in the manual. When you’ve done that, simply shake the container to remove the dust and debris from inside the canister before putting it back in place.
What is the quietest upright vacuum cleaner?
According to tests performed by Consumer Reports, some of the quietest upright vacuum cleaners are the Miele Dynamic U1 Cat & Dog Vacuum Cleaner and the Shark Rotator Powered Lift-Away Speed NV680 Vacuum Cleaner.
We all desire to live in a clean environment but cleaning the house or car can be tiring. But what is even worse is straining your back muscles in the process of cleaning. But with an upright vacuum cleaner, you get to enjoy a great cleaning session without going through any form of pain.
This type of vacuums has different attachments that ease the work and keep you healthy by preventing you from inhaling dust and capturing microscopic organisms on your rugs, carpets, upholstery, car, and hardwood surface. So when choosing a vacuum cleaner, always choose the one that suits your needs and I believe this review will help you to choose the best.