Are you thinking of getting an air purifier for your home? While there are plenty of air purifiers out there, ionic air purifiers are a great choice. They’re able to efficiently clean the air in your room and aren’t overly expensive. The best ionic air purifier, in the end, depends on your individual needs.
Let’s Take a Look
Ionic air purifiers are built with special negative ion generators. How it works is that these generators send out a stream of negative ions that are attracted to the positive airborne particles within the air. As a result, these negative ions end up joining with the positive particles in the air and cause these particles to become “heavy”. Eventually, they’ll end up falling to the floor because of their own weight – thus eliminating them from the air.
Simply put, ionic air purifiers use electricity to charge the spores along with the dust particles in the air. These particles then either drop to the surfaces in your home or are drawn to a collection plate that’s situated inside the air purifiers. If you’re getting an ionic air purifier with a collection plate, you must wipe down the plate regularly for the ionic air purifier to work effectively.
When choosing your ionic air purifier, there are a few things you’d need to take into consideration such as the maximum room size that the ionic air purifier will work in, along with the dimensions of the machine. After all, the last thing you’d want is an overly bulky machine that’ll take up too much space in your home. Below are six of the best ionic air purifiers that we’ve found on the market to get you started.
Best Type of Air Purifiers
There are two major categories in discussion here: ionizers and HEPA air purifiers, so let’s understand how each of them works.
- A HEPA air purifier has a filter with a material that traps contaminants onto its surface, anything from smoke to dust. These particles are common allergens and pose a real problem for people with respiratory problems, children, and elders. An air purifier certified by the U.S. Department of Energy can usually remove about 99.97 percent of particles with a diameter of at least 3 microns.
- Ionizers have a different way to function. They release negatively-charged ions into the room, particles that bind to objects in the room and clean the air. Depending on the ionizer in question, it can also give an electric charge to these particles. This makes ionizers efficient in removing small contaminants from the air, but a lot of people consider them less efficient when compared to a HEPA air purifier when it comes to trapping larger contaminants.
Benefits of Negative Ions
To understand more about why ionic air purifiers are good, let’s look over some of the potential benefits that negative ions bring:
- When there are high concentrations of negative ions in the air, it decreases the amount of airborne bacteria.
- It can help with respiratory problems caused by irritation or inflammation.
- Studies have revealed the fact that exposure to negative ions helps with Seasonal Affective Disorder.
- Ion air purifiers help clean the air of mold spored, dust, pet dander, dust, pollen, etc.
- They can reduce allergens that cause asthma attacks.
- According to a French study, exposure to negative ions can help you sleep better.
- Norwich Union revealed that installing air purifiers based on ion technologies help reduce headaches in an office.
- They can also help improve performance and increase one’s capacity to concentrate on tasks.
How to Choose an Air Purifier
According to Consumer Reports, there are a few non-negotiable features that an air purifier needs to have, alongside a number of other specifications that you need to take into consideration before purchasing such a product:
- When you buy an air purifier, you need to make sure it has the minimum required certifications. The Energy Star logo is one of them, and this is a label that attests an purifier is energy efficient because this is, after all, a machine that needs to run all the time. An Energy Star purifier is 40 percent more efficient compared to models that don’t have this certification. The AHAM Verified seal has been attested by the Association of Home Appliance Manufacturers, and that means that an aurifier has clean air delivery rates.
- The size of the room is a factor to take into consideration before buying an air purifier. Units are designed to be efficient for a given amount of space, which means that a low-capacity purifier won’t do a good job in a large room. If you find a product that has the AHAM Verifide seal, you can rest assured that the unit is capable of covering the space it claims to cover.
- Replacement filters are a consumable with a cost that you have to take into account. Purifiers that use activated carbon filters will require new ones every three months, while pleated filters require changing every six to 12 months. The cost of these filters is important because it’s a long term commitment cost, and the price between filters varies from $20 to $200.
- The noise level of an air purifier is really important if you have to listen to it all the time, and especially if you use it in the bedroom and you’re a light sleeper.
- Filters with air quality sensors will tell you how polluted the air is and you can make the required efficiency settings accordingly.
- Having an air purifier with remote control is recommended for your own comfort, but it is not mandatory in running the unit. They just allow you to fiddle with the settings without having to get up.
Do ionic air purifiers really work?
Yes, but you need an ionic air purifier that’s strong enough and is compatible with the room surface that you’re trying to cover.
Are ionic air purifiers safe?
Most models that you can currently find on the market are safe, but if an ionic air purifier were to be too powerful, it would technically become an ozone generator, which is considered to be harmful.
What is the best ionic air purifier?
The best ionic air purifier is the one that meets the standards we talked about earlier. It needs to be energy efficient, be compatible with the room size you’re trying to cover, and come with all the features that you need to get from such a product.
Which is better air purifier or ionizer?
There is no correct answer to this question because, while they are both meant to clean the air inside the room, the way in which air purifiers work is different compared to the modus operandi of ionizers. So, it really depends on their quality of the air inside your home and what pollutants you’re trying to get rid of.
Best 6 Ionic Air Purifiers
1. Green Air Encore HEPA and Odor Fighting Filter Air Purifier with IonCluster Technology 1000 sq. ft.
This unique air purifier comes with a three-stage air filter system along with IonCluster technology. The True HEPA filter will help in removing 99.97% of particles along with allergens in the air while the IonCluster Technology will also help with purifying the air and controlling odors.
It comes with a total of four operating modes that you can select according to your needs. There’s also an auto mode if you prefer to keep your air purifier on to ensure that your indoor air is as clean as possible. It’s great at eliminating dust, smoke, pollen, pet dander, and more. There’s also an air quality color changing light indicator that’ll automatically adjust the unit to match the air quality in the room. For your convenience, the air purifier also comes with an automatic air filter change indicator. Best of all, this air purifier is energy efficient, whisper-quiet, and covers up to 1,000 square feet of space.
- Three-stage air filter system along with IonCluster technology
- Comes with four operating modes
- Has an air quality color changing light indicator
- Has an automatic air filter change indicator
- The LED light is quite bright, and you can’t dim it down
This Ion Air Purifier Tower is suited for medium to large-sized rooms and is great at sanitizing and removing 99.9% of allergens. It starts by creating negative ions before releasing them into the air and providing you with air that’s both clean and fresh. Since it has got a compact size it also seamlessly fits into a variety of areas easily.
Negative ions have also been shown to have a positive effect on both mood and overall health. Since there are permanent filter plates on the ionizer, these ions are trapped within the unit – making cleaning the filter a breeze as all you need to do is rinse it in the sink or place it in the dishwasher. There are also four different speeds that you can choose from along with an energy-efficient tower design.
- Compact size
- Cleaning the filter is a breeze
- Comes in four different speeds
- It’s more expensive than some of the other air purifiers
This AeraMax air purifier will effectively remove mold, odors, dust, smoke, allergens, and more from your home. It has a true HEPA filter with antimicrobial treatment along with a carbon filter that will help in removing odors while capturing large airborne particles. If you’re worried about using this at night, you’ll also be happy to know that it’s ultra-quiet.
The air purifier also has an AeraSmart sensor that’ll help in monitoring the air quality of your home. If need be, it’ll automatically adjust the fan speed in accordance with the air quality to keep your air fresh and purified. As it’s a smaller air purifier, it’s recommended for smaller rooms.
- Good for small rooms
- Has a true HEPA filter and carbon filter
- Has an AeraSmart sensor to monitor the air quality of the home
- It has bright lights along with unnecessary beeping
The Ionic Pro Turbo is a great air purifier that’s user-friendly, easy to clean, and comes with a sleek design. It has been uniquely engineered to effectively capture a good number of airborne allergens within a standard room in less than an hour and as a bonus, it’s also totally silent. The front-loading collection blade means that cleaning up is easy and you’ll never have to worry about replacing a filter.
It’s also simple to use, and you can set it to your desired speed. The air purifier is also energy-efficient, so you don’t have to worry about it using too much energy or increasing your electricity bill. With the Ionic Pro Turbo, you’ll be sanitizing and removing up to 99.9% of airborne allergens, pollutants as well as irritants– including viruses and bacteria. Since it purifies air in medium to large-sized rooms up to three times in an hour, you’ll be sure to have a home with fresh and clean air.
- Easy to clean
- Comes with a sleek design
- Not the easiest to maintain
This compact ionic HEPA air purifier will keep your air fresh and clean. It removes 99% of indoor pollutants from dust to pollen, smoke, mold, and more. The air purifier has a four-stage purifying technology that includes a pre-filter to capture large particles along with a HEPA filter with activated carbon and ion booster to catch those ultrafine allergens.
This air purifier will also help in eliminating odor along with boosting freshness – thanks to its 360-degree air inlet that’ll kill unwanted odor in the room. Since it’s compact, this air purifier is portable, and you can easily place it in any office or home space. It also has a quieter sleep-friendly function along with a high power one depending on what you prefer. An indicator light will tell you when it’s time to change the filter, and it’s also easy to use and comes with a two-year warranty.
- Four-stage purifying technology
- Has a 360-degree air inlet that kills unwanted odor in the room
- Has a quieter sleep-friendly function
- Noisier than some of the other air purifiers
This Mooka air purifier is exactly what you need for your home. It comes with a six-point purification system that includes a pre-filter, HEPA filter, a filter made with activated carbon, a negative ion generated, and even a UV light sterilizer. It’ll efficiently and effectively clean the air in your air and remove dust, smoke, dander, and more.
Since it has a giant air intake at the bottom along with two side intakes on the air purifier, it’ll be able to purify the air completely around four and a half times every hour. It also has a built-in sensor that’ll help in removing odors and will adjust the fan speed in accordance with the air quality of your room. Other convenient features of this air purifier include a remote control, a night light that can be turned off, a built-in timer, sleep mode, and more.
- Six-point purification system
- Great for larger rooms
- Has a built-in sensor
- Also comes with a night light that can be turned off
- Some said that it’s a tad noisy
The Bottom Line
The best ionic air purifier really just depends on your own personal preferences, your home, and your needs. As you can see, there’s something for everyone from models that run quieter than others, ones that are designed for large spaces, small rooms, and more. Just be sure to do your research, starting with this buying guide, and choose one that works best for you!