Vacuuming is one of the most tedious house chores ever, but if you have the right vacuum cleaning, it surely makes things a lot less stressful.
Some vacuums require heavy lifting, bending over and straining your back, or even cause frustration because they are so difficult to maneuver. But buying a vacuum from a manufacturer that knows what they’re doing can make this whole operation a lot easier.
Making an introduction on why you need a vacuum cleaner is pretty futile at this point, so why don’t we get a little bit of intel on Shark as a company and why they’re doing business right?
Founded by Mark Rosenzweig, the company that stands behind the Shark brand is SharkNinja Operating LLC. They started as a business rooted in Montreal, Canada, and they haven’t stopped expanding business ever since.
Shark is a brand focused on delivering quality cleaning solutions, but you probably know them best because of the awesome vacuum cleaners they make.
Their products are believed to be highly innovative and they own a significant market share in the housewares industry. You can purchase a lot of the Shark products online, but you can also find them in brick-and-mortar stores of major big-box retailers.
Types of Vacuum Cleaners
There are different ways in which we can classify vacuum cleaners, and one of the most common methods is according to their design. Vacuum cleaners can be:
- Upright – These types of vacuum cleaners have a powerful suction and they can be pushed around so you have full control over their direction. Upright vacuums are particularly good for cleaning carpets. They are available in both bagged and bagless options. The main downside to choosing this type of vacuum is the fact that it doesn’t always come with attachments, so it might be difficult to get it into tougher spots.
- Handheld – These vacuums are small and powerful, but the main reason why people choose them is portability. It’s not uncommon to see people using handheld vacuum to clean their cars or upholstery inside the house. They are a convenient tool for when you want to quickly clean up a mess. However, they aren’t as powerful as full-sized vacuums, and they are mainly designed to replace brooms, so it’s good to have a large vacuum in addition to this one.
- Canister – Designed with a large storage tank, these vacuums are usually sold together with a bunch of attachments so, unlike upright models, you can use canister vacuums to reach tougher spots. They are, however, pretty difficult to maneuver, and their height and rather bulky size makes them more difficult to store compared to other types of vacuums.
- Stick – These vacuums have a lightweight profile and they are super-slim in design. They are equipped with rotating brushes and low-profile heads which are pretty easy to maneuver, so they’re great for homes with a lot of furniture. You will find it really easy to use a stick vacuum to clean around the dinner table, but their suction isn’t strong enough to take care of large messes.
- Backpack – The reason why a lot of people prefer a backpack vacuum is because they are powerful and easy to move around. That means that if you have to clean a large house on a regular basis, backpack vacuum might be the right option for you. You literally carry around the vacuum on your back, which means that it’s easier to get it up and down the stairs. As you can imagine, these vacuums are not recommended for people with limited mobility of back problems.
- Central – Central vacuum cleaners might be a little different compared to what you’re used to seeing. They allow you to plug the hose into a wall outlet, providing the unit with very strong suction. The unit is usually located in the garage/basement, with the outlets being located on the bottom side of the walls. They have large containers that require emptying every once in a while. The problem is that you need a professional to install this type of vacuum, which can be pretty expensive.
- Robot – If you’ve ever seen those funny gifs/pictures of cats riding a round vacuum while it cleans the house, know that it is called a robot vacuum. They have the technology needed to detect and avoid objects in the room, and it literally does the cleaning job with no effort on your behalf. Due to their low profile, they can easily get under furniture and can sweep the floor while you are away. However, they are not as powerful as a regular vacuum cleaner, so you might need to invest in a full-sized unit for deeper cleaning.
- Wet/Dry – This particular type of vacuum cleaner is ideal for taking care of major spills, as they are equipped with powerful suction. Their design makes them a little difficult to store because they are bulky.
- Carpet sweepers – These used to be very popular in the past, but they can still be good even today, especially if you want to remove dirt off the surface of a tinner carpet. Since they don’t use electricity, they tend to have a lower noise output.
Tips on Choosing a Shark Vacuum
If you have your heart set on a Shark vacuum but you’re feeling overwhelmed with the many different models out there, here are some tips that might give you a better idea on which product to choose:
- The size of your home is important in determining which Shark vacuum works best for you. If you have a one-floor apartment, for instance, you can look away from large Shark vacuums, as stick or handheld models are better for smaller spaces. If you have a home with an upper floor, don’t choose bulky vacuums that are difficult to move up and down the stairs.
- You also want to choose your vacuum depending on the type of floor. If you have area rugs, then you want a vacuum with suction power to clean the fibers, such as a handheld or robotic Shark model. For non-fibrous floors, you can opt for robotic or upright Shark vacuums.
- Then, consider the different motor power options. Let’s look at some examples for more clarity. Upright Shark vacuum have powerful motors, stick Shark vacuums have a medium power rating, which handheld Shark vacuum are better for short-term use, as they have low power operation.
- When it comes to ease of maneuvering, you need to consider the weight of the vacuum, the handle’s design and size, the wheels on the unit, as well as the vacuum head.
- If you want a unit that makes minimal noise, here is some information you need to know. Robotic Shark vacuums have an operation that runs around 50 to 60 dB, while upright Shark vacuums are the noisiest, with 70 to 80 dB of noise output.
Frequently Asked Questions (FAQ)FAQ
Are Shark vacuums better than Dyson?
It’s difficult to say because while both these brands are really good, they kind of have different products. Dyson’s vacuums have greater power, with plenty of suction, but they are also heavier and more expensive. On the other hand, Shark vacuums are lighter and more affordable but lack the same suction power and they might be better in different scenarios compared to the ones where Dyson vacuums would come in handy.
What's the difference between the Shark vacuums?
Shark is a brand that makes four different types of vacuum cleaners: handheld, robotic, stick, and upright. If you want to learn more about the differences between the types of vacuums, we have a section above dedicated to explaining the characteristics of each type.
What is the newest model of shark vacuum?
That would be the Shark Navigator, an upright model that comes with self-cleaning brush and a lightweight design.
Top 3 Shark Vacuums
Shark has impressed the market time and time again with everything coffee makers to vacuum cleaners. But since today’s focus falls on the latter, let’s look at their top 5 products for an easier cleaning process.
The first item of the list is a Shark vacuum with a neat-looking design and very decent features and construction. It features LED headlights that make it easy to spot whatever floor area or spots you might have missed and get that debris out of there.
The dust cap is really large, meaning that you can use the vacuum for longer house-cleaning sessions in one swoop.
The anti-allergen seal design makes it so that 99.9 percent of the household debris and contaminants are trapped inside the vacuum without the risk of being released back into the air.
It is a vacuum unit that’s very easy to operate and doesn’t put any strain on the back, as it doesn’t require you to bend over in order to vacuum, like plenty of other models do.
- Traps dirt efficiently.
- LED headlights.
- Easy to maneuver.
- Swivel steering.
- False advertising (caddy not included).
Shark is a well-known vacuum brand, so we always expect the best when it comes to the product they have lined up for us. The Shark Rotator vacuum is a high-quality product that’s focused on delivering multiple ways to actually clean the house.
You can use it in upright mode, which means that you get a dynamic swivel feature allowing you to clean hard-to-reach places.
It also has an above-floor mode that makes it easy to raise the handle and clean whatever isn’t at floor levels. The pet power brush mode will make sure that pet dander and hair are a thing of the past.
The powered lift-away mode ensures that the motorized cleaner has extended reach for a better dirt grasp. Other features include fingertip controls, LED lights, and very solid construction.
- Mini-motorized brush included.
- Good for pet hairs.
- Multiple cleaning modes.
- Easy to operate.
- Dynamic swivel feature.
- Fingertip controls.
- Not so good with long hairs.
Next up, we have one of the best Shark vacuums ever seen, without any doubt. It is a product that’s centered around the idea of powerful suction and efficiency in cleaning rather than ease of manipulation (it would be tough to get this beast off the floor for minutes on end).
It comes with a set of controls located at your fingertips, unlike traditional vacuum cleaners where you’d have to bend over to reach the controls.
Thanks to the integrated technology, the vacuum allows you to lift and canister in order to reach concealed areas without impacting the brush roll spinning.
- Dual cleaning brushes.
- Detachable canister.
- LED headlights.
- Fingertip controls.
- Powerful suction.
- Difficult to operate on stairs.
As you can see, Shark is no stranger to innovation, product quality, or really good design. Every one of their vacuums seems to solve a very pressing problem that people have when they’re vacuuming the house.
Some are focused on the ease of getting under heavy furniture, while others are designed to help avoid back pain from having to vacuum in an uncomfortable position. Whatever the case, this is totally a brand that we can get behind.