Home is where your heart is. And if you think inside your home, airborne pollutants don’t exist, think again. As much as you clean your house, dust, pollen or mold spores always find a way in. And you know too much of them can trigger allergic reactions and asthma attacks. It may sound hard to believe, but indoor air pollution can be worse than the outdoor one. That is because air concentration is higher inside your house than outdoors. To reduce risks for you and your family, especially if you spend a lot of time inside, consider buying an air purifier.
You may wonder why should you invest in plug-in air purifiers. After all, there are so many other types of air cleaning devices on the market. As their name says it, plug-in air purifiers are devices that function when plugged into a socket. If you like comfort, chances are you don’t want to spend a whole afternoon (or more) to install one. Fortunately, these air purifiers are a piece of cake. You just plug them into any wall socket or extension. So, no need to move furniture around to make room. And some models can fit great even in your car or any tight space.
Compared to the plug-in versions, standard air purifiers will take a lot more space. So, most likely, you won’t be able to take it in your purse or bag when you travel. Not to mention that if you have too much furniture in your room, a traditional air purifier would just be a bummer. So, plug-ins seem like a win-win for comfort, space, budget and even performance.
Plug-In Purifier Benefits
- Energy Savers
Compared to traditional models, plug-in air purifiers are more energy efficient. Some of the tiny models need only 3-8 watts to work. That means your cleaner air won’t make the electric bills go over the roof.
- Saving Space
It’s as clear as daylight that saving space is always a plus. Whether you like minimalist interior design or not, you will be glad to see how little space a plug-in system takes. Save up space on your counter, floor or table with a device connected directly into a power outlet.
- Strong Performance
There’s a saying, “Strong essences are kept in small bottles”. This applies to plug-in air purifiers. Despite their reduced size, they are perfectly capable of doing a great job in cleaning the air. For small rooms, these devices can eliminate different types of air pollutants. Of course, trying to use them for large areas might not be as effective. But as long as the model suits your needs, you will have a pleasant surprise to see what purifiers can do.
- Perfect for Travelers
Investing into plug-in air purification is worth even more if you are a travel lover. If the quality of the air you breathe is a common concern for you, these purifiers will keep your mind at ease. Compact and portable, you can take these devices in your bag or purse and put them to work anywhere.
Drawbacks of Plug-in Purifiers
The absence of mechanical filters makes plug-in purifiers less effective against airborne particles. Dust, pollen, smoke, pet dander will remain in the air as only HEPA or carbon filters can trap them. Also, plug-in devices are not suitable for large spaces. One more drawback is the production of ozone associated. Although the producers declare these purifiers are safe, some health experts disagree. Ozone exposure can favor the appearance of asthma symptoms.
Our Top 7 Recommended Plug-in Purifiers
|Product Name||Strongest Point||Surface||Consumption||Type of Purifying||Dimensions|
|1. GreenTech Environmental pureAir 50 - Small Space Plug-in Air Purifier & Air Cleaner||Perfect for traveling or small homes. High efficiency in a small device.||325 sq.ft||3 W||activated oxygen and ionization||2.5 x 3.5 x 4.25 inches|
|2. Germ Guardian True HEPA Filter Air Purifier with UV Light Sanitizer||The ultimate air sanitizer. 99.97% efficiency in reducing airborne germs and pollutants||167 sq.ft.||53 W||HEPA filter |
Activated charcoal filter
|9 x 5.5 x 21.5 inches|
|3. Hamilton Beach TrueAir Air Purifier for Home||Versatile solution in variable positions. Permanent HEPA filter.||160 sq.ft.||100 W||HEPA filter||8.5 x 6 x 13.54 inches|
|4. Coway 400 Air Purifier with HEPA filter||Ideal for large spaces. High performance for low energy consumption.||1560 sq.ft.||64 W||HEPA filter |
|14.5 x 8.3 x 8.3 inches|
|5. Winix 5300-2 True HEPA Air Purifier with PlasmaWave Technology||The most budget-friendly PlasmaWave air purifier with strong True HEPA filter.||360 sq.ft.||58 W||HEPA filter|
Plasma Wave technology
|23.6 x 14.9 x 7.8 inches|
|6. PlasmaWave 5500-2 True HEPA Air Purifier||A safe bet for powerful filtration of air pollutants. Silent functioning, affordable price.||360 sq.ft.||70 W||AOC carbon filter, |
HEPA filter, Plasma Wave technology
|23.6 x 15 x 8.2 inches|
|7. Germ Guardian WiFi Bluetooth Smart Voice Control Air Purifier for Home||A real energy saver, Wifi & Bluetooth enabled||153 sq.ft||63-33 W||HEPA filter|
|22 x 6.4 x 8.88 inches|
The GreenTech Environmental pureAir 50 is a small yet powerful device, great to have in any home. Refresh the air in your bathroom, kitchen or any smelly areas. This little fellow can purify the air, remove smoke and other pollutants in rooms up to 325 sq.ft. Take away unwanted odours from your tight spaces while saving on energy bills. The device has an energy consumption level as low as 3 W. This product relies on activated oxygen and ionization to sanitize air.
- reduces bacteria & viruses
- removes allergens
- easy to install & use
- eliminates smoke and odors
- silent functioning
- low maintenance.
- warranty limited to only 90 days
- no filter for airborne pollutants
- no remote control.
The Germ Guardian 4-in-1 Air Purifier for Home AC4825E fights like no other against airborne pollutants. Get rid of 99.97% of harmful viruses, germs, dust, pet dander and more. This four-in-one purifier traps large particles with its top-quality HEPA filter. Rely on the UV-C light and titanium dioxide to destroy airborne germs. The activated charcoal filter is your ally in reducing odors from pets or tobacco smoke. This silent, clean air guardian has three speed settings. It can efficiently remove impurities from spaces up to 167 sq. ft.
- convenient combination of purifying methods
- silent functioning
- sleek design
- efficient in sanitizing air.
- source of white noise
- 3 years warranty.
- additional costs for replacing filters, UV-C bulb
- no remote control.
The Hamilton Beach TrueAir Air Purifier merges high-performance with low-maintenance air care. Using a permanent HEPA-grade filter, this device works great as an allergen reducer. The best part is that you won’t have to worry about any filter replacement. The top-performance filter is easy to clean with a vacuum. Even the 3 microns particles and dander will get trapped by this sleek purifier. The device’s design is highly versatile, you can use it horizontally or vertically. Adapted to your needs and your space, this purifier is also as silent as a cat. Place it as you want, in your bedroom, hallway or even at the office.
- permanent HEPA filter
- ultra-quiet functioning (whisper clean mode)
- efficient air cleaning on large 160 square foot rooms
- versatile use.
- easy to clean.
- not washable filter
- high energy consumption
- no remote control.
The Coway 400 Air Purifier with HEPA filter ensures real-time air quality monitoring. With its powerful dual suction, the device allows air absorption from two sides. This means faster, more efficient air cleaning. It features 3 smart modes (autospeed, sleep mode, eco mode), adapting to your filtering needs. Designed to remove airborne pollutants in large spaces
- light sensor automatically switching to sleep mode
- double suction
- 2-in-1 filters (HEPA + activated charcoal)
- Energy Star compliant
- filter change indicator
- 5 years warranty
- large area coverage.
- not Wifi compatible/no remote control
- filter replacement needed – extra costs.
With the Winix 5300-2 True HEPA Air Purifier with PlasmaWave Technology, cleaning the air in your home won’t break your budget. This improved version of the Winix 5300 is a great investment, given its performance. The merge between PlasmaWave technology and True HEPA filter works great against allergens. Microscopic particles of pet dander, pollen, mold, virus, and bacteria stand no chance. The AHAM (Association of Home Appliances Manufacturers) highly recommends this unit. Using a 3-stage air cleaning system, this purifier features an odor-reducing carbon filter and a 99.97% true HEPA filter. On top of this, the Winix Plasma wave® technology seals the deal. It’s no surprise that this Winix wonder scored a fabulous CADR (Clean Air Delivery Rate) rating. Perfect to use in medium to large living areas, kitchens or bedrooms, up to 360 sq.ft.
- solid built
- 3-stage air cleaning system
- high performance with PlasmaWave technology
- low cost
- LED indicator for filter replacement
- Energy Star compliant
- Smart Mode (automatic adjustment to the environment).
- high filter replacement cost
- no remote control
- low efficiency for the odor absorbing carbon filter (compared to an AOC carbon).
The PlasmaWave 5500-2 True HEPA Air Purifier is a top choice for powerful air filtration. A successful merge between the True HEPA filter and the PlasmaWave Technology, it can get rid of 99.97% of air pollutants. The high-grade granular activated-carbon pre-filter reduces odors and protect against VOCs. The device features a 3-color LED Smart Sensor, to show you the current air quality status in your room.
- efficient 4 stage air purification
- Energy Star compliant
- filter change indicator
- remote control
- 2 years warranty
- washable pre-filter.
- not Wifi compatible
- filter can develop bad smell
- prone to malfunction due to electromagnetic interference
- sensitive to sunlight
- one-year filter lifespan – extra costs for replacements.
The GermGuardian SMART Air Purifier with HEPA – CDAP4500WCA brings air quality control on your smartphone. This powerful, energy-saving device comes with a user-friendly mobile app. It connects via Wifi or Bluetooth (for short range distances). The GermGuardian app relies on the SmartAQM, an Air Quality Monitor. This identifies the airborne particles and changes the speed for air quality optimization. Rely on the true HEPA filter of this air purifier to capture 99.97% of allergens. The UV-C light will get rid of the germs and the charcoal filter will make your room odor-free. The app will provide notifications when you need to change the filter or UV bulb. Lightweight and with a sleek design, this device is perfect to use in small to medium sized rooms. It allows 5 fan speeds, including a low speed, ultra-quiet and energy efficient.
- very efficient in capturing allergens and airborne pollutants
- Bluetooth/Wi-fi enabled
- filter replacement indicator
- free mobile app for remote control
- 3 years warranty
- easy to clean
- energy saver.
- extra-costs for replacing components
- high noise level at the highest setting
- can develop a pesky plastic odor.
A Beginner’s Guide to Air Purifiers
Before jumping to the purchase decision, take a look at these guidelines. The list of air purifier features to look for includes:
- Filtration Method – HEPA filters can trap up to 99.97% of airborne pollutants. Dust mites, pollen, mold, mildew, pet dander, virus or bacteria, invisible to the human eye, will not escape it. An activated carbon filter or granular carbon filter proves efficient in removing odors. The UV light will sanitize air by destroying any bacteria at a molecular level. A ionizer purifier produces negative ions that adhere to airborne particles and cause them to stick to the floor.
- Filter Service Indicator Light – useful if you tend to forget about changing the filter.
- Washable Pre-filters – can extend the life of the primary filter, thus saving you money.
- Cost of replacement filters – periodical replacing or cleaning filters is a rule of thumb. You should change pleated filters every 6-12 months. Replace your activated carbon filters every 3 months. Consider how much of your budget has to go to the purchase of these components, as some can be quite expensive.
- Air-Quality Sensors – to detect how polluted the air is and adjust the cleaning speed.
- Carrying Handles and Wheels – so you don’t break your back or hands when moving the air purifier.
- Remote Control – for a more convenient adjustment of the settings.
- Certifications – look out for these labels on the packaging, for performance confirmation. Energy Star certified purifiers are 40% more energy-efficient than standard models. The AHAM Verified seal is another important indicator. This shows that the Association of Home Appliance Manufacturers has tested the model. They provide clean air delivery rates (CADRs) and room size guidelines on the seal. The higher the CADR, the faster and more efficient the air purifier is. Different types of pollutants lead to different CADR ratings for each category. Choose a device with a high CADR for your main pollutant of concern ( tobacco smoke, dust, pollen etc.).
- Room size – the unit should handle well your room size, so check on the AHAM seal if it’s a match.
- Noise – you should see your air purifier as part of your home. And that means you need to be able to live with it. As you will usually keep these devices running, you may want to ensure they are quiet. Check the specs to find how many decibels a model operates at on.
Get the Most Out of Your Air Purifier
Keep it clean.
When your filters are clean or replaced regularly, your purifier will perform better. A clogged filter will prevent the device from sucking in too much air and can favor bacteria growth.
Keep it close.
Place your air purifier in the room where you spend the most time. Ensure you find a spot with no obstructions for the airflow. Preferably, keep it away from curtains or behind large furniture items.
Keep it running.
Leave the device on the high setting while you are away, for a more thorough air cleaning process. To avoid noise, you can put it on the low setting when you are in the room. Keep the windows closed while the unit is working for a better performance.
Using a plug-in purifier in your home can bring great benefits to your health, without costing you an arm and a leg. Investing in an air cleaning unit can reduce the allergens, pollutants and odors from your home. Use our guide to figure out which version fits your needs best. And let us know in the comments what features you find essential. Ready to clear up the air in your home?