Want To Know How To Add Value To Your Home? Install An Electric Gate Opener
Among homeowners, protecting their real estate investment is a primary concern. If you want to know how to add value to your home, install an electric gate opener and see how it not only increases ROI but attracts buyers in search of extra home safety features. Safeguarding your family against outside threats and mitigating wildfire risk are only a few reasons why homeowners are installing electric gates on their properties.
With an electric driveway gate opener, homes are provided with an added layer of security that traditional gates failed to provide. The consensus among owners today has been unanimous as they feel the increased security measure offers greater privacy and protection from unwanted intrusions.
There are many types of electric gate openers on the market today. Choices range from standard models to those equipped with remote doors that slide or swing open. Those thinking of purchasing a gate, first-time buyers might be overwhelmed due to the options and varieties available.
Below you’ll find a curated list of the 10 best gate openers to get you started. Before we delve further, however, there are things to consider before choosing an electric gate opener that’s right for your home.
In a rush? Here’s our shortlist on essential Electric Gate Opener tips and features for smart buyers.
Slide or Swing Gate Opener
First, you’ll need to determine if you want a slide or swing gate opener. Your decision will depend on factors related to space and terrain. Next, you’ll need to select the appropriate materials and kit for your gate so it complements and corresponds with your home and surrounding property.
Ideally, it should be both UV and weather-resistant so it’s durable and will last for years. You’ll also need to consider weight factors as electric gate openers are designed up to a certain weight. Depending on region and location, make sure your gate can withstand natural disasters and offers protection against wildfires, including fire engine access.
Finally, you’ll need to think about how often you plan to open and close your gate as this will determine the power source you select.
How to Choose an Electric Gate Opener
Before you buy an electric gate opener, there are things to keep in mind. The features that such a system is equipped with will determine which option is right for you. So, when you’re ready to scout the market for an electric gate opener, here is what you should look out for:
- The size of the gate will determine what electric opener suits you best. Literally measuring the size of the gate will be of great help here because it will tell you the amount of power needed to operate the gate’s motor.
- The gate opener type is something else to keep in mind. You can choose between an automatic swing gate opener (swinging the gates back and forth), an automatic sliding gate opener (basically it’s an automatic form of sliding doors that we all know about), and automatic dual gate openers (double operating system, suitable for small gates).
- You might also be interested in how the gate opens. Automatic gates can be opened in a number of different ways, so you can choose if you want sliding or a swing system.
- Price is another important shopping consideration, as these opening systems can be really cheap or quite expensive. Make sure you establish a budget before shopping, or else you might spend a lot more money than initially intended.
- ALEKO Sliding Gate Opener Basic Kit – used to open gates up to 1400 pounds of 40 feet in length.
- Swing Gate Opener for Dual Swing Gates Up to 900lbs Accessory Kit – can handle dual gates
- Solar Kit Metal Gate Opener for Dual Swing Gate Up to 1300-lb – is a complete access control solution for your home or business!
Tips for Choosing an Electric Gate Opener
If you’re a first-time buyer, you should read this section. We’re going to tell you some of the things you need to look out for when choosing an electric gate opener, along with suggestions that might make your life easier:
- Pay attention to the material quality. The gate motors need to be made with quality materials that work together to bring you the utmost efficiency. The quality check should extend beyond the motors themselves, and also focus on the durability of the mounting hardware.
- You want a system that’s easy to put together (unless you’re willing to pay up and call in a professional for installing the system). A good electric gate opener should include a comprehensive list of installation instructions, as well as a free operating manual.
- Look at the temperature range. Think about the fact that electric gate openers will sometimes have to function in extreme temperatures, so before buying one, you need to make sure these temperatures can be handled. Needless to say, the system also has to be resistant to water.
- Check out the traction and running spree. These are two features that will tell you a lot about the performance of the system. Automatic gate openers should have a pulling force between 500N and 700N, with motors that operate at a maximum of 11 cm per second.
- Analyze the power consumption. Electric gate openers require a source of electricity to function, which means that they consume energy to do so. These openers will consume a certain amount of energy when operating, and another amount when they’re in standby mode. Luckily, most of these modern systems are energy-efficient.
- Get a system with emergency release. This will allow you to operate the gates even in case of a power outage.
Related: The 5 Best Solar Gate Opener – Cost-Efficient and Powered by The Sun
Types of Electric Gate Opener Remotes
Prior to choosing an electric gate opener, you should know about the many existing types. This way, you can assess their features and determine which one would work best for you. The most common types include:
- Remote control electric gate openers are preferred because of their ability to be controlled from a distance. Two-button battery-operated remotes are a user favorite. Regardless of the other features that are controlled remotely, this device should come with at least an open/close button.
- Radiofrequency gate openers use this specific type of signal to send information from the remote control to the gate’s opening mechanism. The speed of the signal is quite slow, which is why these options aren’t usually the number 1 choice.
- Bluetooth remotes for gate openers use this specific technology to open and close the gates. This is one of the fastest ways to send the signal from the remote to the gate’s mechanism, being the best choice for short distances and quick responses.
- Infrared is another means of operation for remote controls for electric gate opening systems. It is one of the most durable and cost-effective choices you have. However, this doesn’t come without drawbacks. In order for infrared technology to work, you have to point the remote control directly at the gate’s signal point. The receiver on the gate’s system can be located at the side or bottom of the gate, which means you may not always get a comfortable angle.
Top 10 Best Gate Openers
1. Sliding Gate Opener Basic Kit
This particular gate opener slides and is driven by a chain. It’s also designed with a 120V AC motor that’ll provide it with an excellent starting torque along with continuous operation – making it ideal for most applications. It can be installed by a surface mount installation and is both UV and weather-resistant.
Material-wise, this gate opener is primarily made with metal. It’s also easy to take care of as you all need to do is wash it with a hose. Those who have purchased this gate opener mentioned that it works properly and they’re impressed with all its functions. Two remotes come with your purchase along with hopping code technology that prevents your remote code from being accessible to others. At the same time, it also comes with an auto-close feature along with a built-in radio receiver.
- 120V AC for excellent torque
- Ideal for most applications
- There are limited setup instructions
2. Swing Gate Opener for Dual Swing Gates Up to 900lbs Accessory Kit
Another great gate opener on the list is this swing gate opener that can open gates that weigh up to 900 pounds. Not only can it handle dual gates, it also has 24V DC motors that are powerful and will help in providing an excellent starting torque along with a soft start as well as stop operation. With that, you’ll have a gate opener that’s durable and has exceptional performance.
Worried that it’ll run out of power? This particular gate opener comes with an optional built-in backup battery that’ll help with providing seamless operation in the event of a power loss. For easy installation, this gate opener can also be installed with low-cost or low-voltage wiring, and even on solar panels. Other features include being able to open and close gates with a remote control or keypad, and a digital display that indicates the running situation and setting menu.
- Can handle dual gates
- Powerful 24V DC motors
- UV-resistant and weather-resistant
- Comes with a built-in backup battery
- You’ve got to have an electrician to help with installing the product
3. Solar Kit Metal Gate Opener for Dual Swing Gate Up to 1300-lb
Another dual swing gate opener on the list, this particular model can handle dual swinging gates that are up to 1,700 pounds. It has 24V DC motors that’ll help in providing not just an excellent torque, but it also comes with a stop or reverse function in the event of obstruction during opening and closing. You can also program the force of the motor, and it comes with optional photocell protection.
Other features of this gate opener include an optional built-in battery backup in case there’s a power loss along with a built-in adjustable auto-close. The gate opener itself is made from metal and can be installed with either 10W, 20W, or 30W solar panels.
- Can handle dual gates
- Powerful 24V DC motors
- Handles up to 1,700 pounds
- Comes with a stop or reverse function in the event of obstruction
- It can be complicated to install on your own.
4. Sliding Gate Opener Basic Kit
If you’re looking for a basic gate opener kit, this is a great one to get started with. It can open gates that weigh up to 1,800 pounds and also comes with a built-in radio receiver. Two remotes come with your purchase and you can easily program them with erasable remote codes. There’s also RF hopping code technology that’ll prevent your remote code from being accessed.
Other features included are a built-in adjustable auto-close that comes in a variety of timers from 30 to 90 seconds, along with a 120V AC power supply. There’s also a manual key release in case of an emergency, along with a stop/reverse function in case there’s any obstruction during the opening or closing of the gate.
- Can handle gates up to 1,800 pounds
- Comes with a built-in radio receiver
- Has RF hopping code technology
- Built-in adjustable auto-close
- Some have mentioned that the gate opener rusts after a while
5. GATEXPERT Sliding Gate Opener with Remote Controls & Security Photocell
If you are willing to invest a little bit of money, this sliding gate opener is the perfect opportunity. You want a product that will function the same as the gate does, opening and closing on command, while keeping yourself and your family safe, secure, and looked after. This sliding gate opener has a remote control for convenience and it also features automatic close time settings in three different second options – 12, 24, or 36 seconds; which leaves you ample time to get out of the gate but not enough time for someone or something to slip past.
- Incredible safety features
- Remote control is included
- Inferred sensors add an additional layer of protection
- Some customers report that the installation instructions can be confusing
6. Mighty Mule Automatic Gate Opener for Light Duty Single Swing Gates Up
This highly-rated gate opener comes with dual sense technology for heightened safety and protection. It can handle dual swing gates that weigh up to 300lbs and has all the instructions you need to install it safely and swiftly. Your purchase doesn’t just come with an instruction manual, you’ve also got a DVD along with unlimited 24-hour technical support.
It’s also great for all single gate types and comes with a single-button remote. The product is also solar capable and is perfect for various places from homes to farms and businesses. Those who have purchased this gate opener have given it rave reviews and mentioned that it has worked in various temperatures – including the freezing cold.
- Dual sense technology
- Detailed instructions
- 24-hour technical support
- Great for all single gate types
- Opener requires a 12v battery that’s not included
7. Ghost Controls TDS2XP Heavy-Duty Solar Dual Automatic Gate Opener Kit for Swing Gates Up to 20 Feet
Have you ever wanted a gate opener that you can easily install on your own? This gate opener DIY kit is great for single swing gates and also comes with a 10W solar panel. It also comes with an 18-month warranty and is suited for a wide range of gates from tubular to chain link and even plantation gates. All of the equipment needed comes with your purchase, and it can be easily installed with tools that you have at home.
The tube brackets make for easy installation on your gate, and the remote transmitter can reach up to 1,000ft. The GhostCode will activate your gate system, but it’ll also keep your system both safe and secure. Best of all, the system is compatible with a wide range of wired input devices that you can easily connect to the Ghost Controls board.
- Comes with an 18-month warranty
- Can install it by yourself
- Tube brackets make for easy installation
- Remote transmitter can reach up to 1,000 ft
- It’s pretty expensive
8. Slide Gate Operator with Remote and Receiver FSC
This gate opener is incredibly powerful and can handle rolling sliding gates that weigh up to 300lbs. It comes with a 5-year limited manufacturer warranty and is also easy to install. In case of a power outage or if the gate fails to operate, this kit also comes with a fail secure release crank which you can easily open the gate with. There’s also both built-in lightning and surge protection.
Other features that this gate comes with include user-friendly capabilities, motor brake, partial stop, auto-close timer, open/close delay, and more. It’s a great gate opener if you’re looking for something that’s not difficult to install but is also both effective and durable.
- Opens gates that weigh up to 300lbs
- Easy to install
- Comes with a fail secure release crank
- Built-in lightning and surge protection
- The photo-eye has a very short working radius
9. CO-Z Automatic Sliding Gate Opener Hardware Sliding Driveway Security Kit
This stainless steel gate opener is designed for heavy-duty gates that weigh up to 1,400 pounds. It has a motor that’s both quiet and powerful, and it will smoothly open the gate while producing minimal noise. It’s also got an auto-close feature so you can set it in a range of times from 12 to 36 seconds.
Some other great features this gate opener comes with include remote controls that perfectly operate within 100 feet so you don’t have to get out of our car, along with four buttons that’ll help you with opening and closing your gate. For durability, this gate opener has copper worm gear and also meets all necessary safety standards.
- Can open gates up to 1,400 pounds
- Both quiet and powerful
- Auto-close feature
- Comes with remote controls that has 4 buttons
- Instructions are hard to figure out
10. Automatic Gate Opener Kit Medium Duty Dual Gate Operator
Looking for a reliable gate opener that can open dual swing gates? This particular gate opener can open gates that have a maximum weight of 550 pounds and comes with aluminum swing arms that are both extendable and durable. It’s long-lasting and requires minimum maintenance. It’s suited for all types of swing gates from wood to vinyl and is great for a variety of places from residential to farm and more.
Installation is a breeze as it can be done with common tools and requires no high-voltage electrical connection. Instructions are easy to follow and the whole process should just take you a couple of hours. This gate opener also comes with reliable security technology and has other features such as a soft start and stop, reverse and stop model, manual release key, customer support, and more.
- Can open gates up to 550 pounds
- Requires minimal maintenance
- Easy to install
- Reliable security technology
- Some have mentioned that the power supply is under-powered and there are some issues
Driveway Gate Design Ideas
Our first idea comes straight from Fairfield County, CT, from LoParco Associates, offering us a stylish gate ensemble for those who love tuscan exteriors. The wooden gates are complemented by stone pillars and a flowery path that looks like it leads straight to Heaven.
Royalty Garage Doors & Gates is here to inspire us with how an imposing security gate should look like. The inclined driveway leads to this mid-sized gate in a gray color that matches the concrete Beverly Hills sunny exterior.
Our third source of inspiration is brought to us by Harwell Fencing and Gates Inc. It is a double driveway gate in a cherry wood finish that looks gorgeous. It’s perfect from traditional-style entrances and the redwood color is just astonishing.
We all know that Miami has some pretty classy architectural choices, but who knew gates can make a statement as well? BT Architectural Stone brings forth these solid black gates with a swing opening system and curved lines that just inspire elegance.
Taylor’s Backyard Center is our last inspiration stop of the day, with a wide black gate that amazes its viewers in detail. The custom masonry posts are similar to those we saw in the first example, while the gate comes with a keypad and a speaker box for all those visiting.
Electric Gate Opener FAQ
What is the best electric gate opener?
There are plenty of brands that are considered to be the best in terms of manufacturing electric gate openers. They include Mighty Mule, US Automatic Sentry, and Ghost Controls. However, the best electric gate opener is the one that meets your demands, so make sure that you check our section on “How to Choose an Electric Gate Opener”.
How much does a gate opener cost?
Prices will naturally vary depending on the brand chosen and the features that your system is equipped with. An electric gate opener can cost between $100 and $600, with some models being more expensive than $1,000.
Are electric gates secure?
Electric or automatic gates provide an undisputed sense of security. While some people opt for video monitoring of the premises and the gate itself, electric gates are pretty sturdy on their own and will surely discourage burglars or trespassers.
The Bottom Line
And there it is – the top electric gate openers on the market today. A variety of models are available, so make sure you pick the one that’s right for you. The great thing about these options is that they include electric gates that come in a variety of sizes and different weights, and also have unique features.