How to arrange furniture in a long narrow living room?
A Long and narrow living room can undoubtedly pose serious challenges in the decoration and arrangement task of a living room. It is assured that not a single homeowner wants his long narrow living room to appear like a bowling alley, but is really difficult to find efficient ways to use the long narrow space completely. Well, no need to worry.
1) Determine the focal point of the room. It can be the fireplace, entertainment center, a large piece of art and even windows. However, if the windows are at the end wall of the living room, then you need to select another focal point of the room. Focusing on the end walls which are literally the shortest walls of the room, will make the living space appear longer and narrower.
2) The focal point of the room should be placed in the center of the longest wall with a wall facing it.
3) Plan different functions of the room and try to divide the room into different sections or stations. Visualize the long room and think of the possible areas you can create. For instance, you can have separate areas for conversation, quiet reading, games, activity and more.
4) Try and create the main sitting area in the center of the long narrow living room and around the focal point. It is always best to have this seating furniture placed against the wall so that a smooth flow of traffic is allowed.
5) On the other end of the long narrow room, you may place a chair and a table along with a lamp and create a quiet reading space.
6) Alternatively, you may also place low lying couches or a lounge chair in order to create a relaxing area.
7) Define the different divided areas with the help of multiple rugs. Each rug should be allowed to define its own space. However, avoid using long runners and employ only square and round rugs. You may also use different shapes such as a hexagon or a semi circle.
8) Lastly, assure that whatever is being placed follows a proper layout. Uneven arrangement will make the room appear asymmetrical, crowded, awkward and complicated. In addition, also take the traffic movement into consideration when creating the varied areas.