Homeowners that have trees on their property could really benefit from owning a chainsaw. Same goes for those who use wood as their primary source of heating fuel.
Purchasing a mini chainsaw isn’t simple if you have no experience in knowing what features matter, so let’s learn more about this power tool together.
Most Durable: BLACK+DECKER Lopper Chain Saw
“For over 5 years, I’ve used this to cut branches. I purchased a spare chain, but haven’t had to use it.” (Customer review)
Best Pole Saw: Greenworks 8.5′ 40V Cordless Pole Saw
When you want to invest in a chainsaw that can help you get rid of pesky tall branches, this Greenworks product is what you should be aiming for.
Best Budget Pick Option 1: Sun Joe SWJ800E 8-Inch 6.5-Amp Telescoping Electric Pole Chain Saw
For those of you trying to stick to a limited budget, we present to you the Sun Joe Mini chainsaw, with a 6.5-amp motor and an 8-inch bar length.
Best Budget Pick Option 2: Worx WG309, 8 Amp 10-inch Corded Electric Pole Saw
“This saw is incredible. I can’t even explain how far beyond expectations this is.” (Customer review)
Customer’s Choice: BLACK+DECKER 20V MAX Cordless Chainsaw
“I am glad to say that I didn’t go wrong with this purchase……….I wish I would have bought this a long time ago!!!” (Customer review)
Best Battery-Powered Model: Makita XCU06Z LXT Chain Saw
When it comes to cordless battery-powered chainsaws, this Makita model offers high power efficiency and extra torque for cutting through stubborn wood.
Best Gas-Powered Model: Remington RM4214 Rebel 42cc 2-Cycle 14-Inch Gas Powered Chainsaw
With an automatic oiling system and a high output engine, the Remington RM4214 is surely one of the best chainsaws that money can buy.
Types of Small Chainsaws
Small chainsaws are divided into three main categories:
- Corded electric chainsaws are available in a wide range of options and require very little maintenance. There are plenty of models that are just as powerful as gas-operated chainsaws. The only problem is that you are somewhat limited by the cord, so there are only so many places where you can use this type of saw. Make sure that you always have an extension cord with you.
- Gas-powered chainsaws are probably the type that comes to mind when someone asks you to picture what a chainsaw looks like. They are loud and typically emit smoke when turned on, but are also some of the most powerful ones on the market. They require a lot more maintenance compared to an electric corded saw, plus they need to be fueled by gas on a regular basis, depending on how much you use them. However, if you use a chainsaw often, this is one of the best purchases out there.
- Battery-powered chainsaws are a more reliable alternative to electric ones because you are not limited by a power cord. They don’t require a lot of maintenance and they tend to be rather powerful. One of the major drawbacks for this particular type of saw is the fact that replacement batteries tend to be expensive. They are best suited for occasional use.
How to Choose
The following list of features provide you with a little more information on what it is that you need to look out for if you’re thinking of buying a small chainsaw:
- Consider the kickback of the saw, because it can be a dangerous thing to have to deal with. Whenever the top half of the saw’s bar comes in contact with a stubborn piece of wood, the saw can kickback and cause injuries if you are not prepared for it.
- The engine size is a factor that will tell you a lot about what a saw is capable of handling in terms of cutting. A small gas-powered chainsaw is typically equipped with an engine that has a sizing capacity between 30cc and 40cc, which is mostly compatible with bars that range from 10 to 16 inches. When you’re looking at electric saws, what you’re most interested in is amperage. The amp rating of an electric saw is a measurement of how much power it can handle before its internal components start suffering damage.
- The bar length is another thing to consider because it helps determine what type of work the mini chainsaw is capable of handling. Some people tend to run away from long bars, but they are not that difficult to work with. A lot of people tend to believe that top-handle saws with small bars are easier to use, but they can be quite unpredictable. A saw with a 14 to 18-inch bar is what most homeowners need.
- Since we’re talking about a mini chainsaw, its weight is obviously super important. Even if it weren’t, it’s still something you want to look into because you don’t want a cumbersome chainsaw that you are not able to hold or maneuver. Battery-powered and corded electric chainsaws are the lightest options on the market.
The Best Chainsaw
Our first pick of the say is the BLACK+DECKER Lopper chainsaw, a product that delivers power beyond expectations, as buyers themselves have stated time and time again. Powered by a 4.5-amp motor, this electric chainsaw is a regular power tool when it comes to pruning tree branches and shrubs that measure no more than 4 inches in diameter. It comes with a heavy-duty cutting bar and chain that deliver a fast and smooth cutting process with each repeated use. The bar measures 6 inches in length, making this one of the best mini chainsaws that money can buy.
- Great for pruning trees and shrubs.
- Includes a wrench and an oil bottle.
- Lightweight and easy to maneuver.
- Not great for thicker trees/branches.
If you’re looking for an electric pole saw, this product is one of the best ones on the market. It is mostly designed to deal with overhead branches, as the aluminum shaft is made from three pieces that can be extended up to 8 feet, with a maximum reach of 11 feet. The pole saw draws its power from a lithium-ion battery and the kit that you purchase includes said battery and a compatible charger. The automatic oiling system is there to make your job easier, applying oil to the bar and chain for continuous lubrication. The chain tensioning is easy to adjust, and the bar and chain measure 8 inches in length.
- Adjustable telescopic handle.
- Automatic oiling system.
- Charger and battery included.
- Battery is not enclosed, can attract dirt and debris.
For thin logs and branches, we have yet another amazing mini chainsaw to suggest: the Sun Joe SWJ800E. This chainsaw is powered by a 6.5-amp motor that’s capable of cutting pieces of wood that measure up to 7.5 inches in diameter. It comes with a telescopic pole that allows you to adjust the length up to 8.7 feet and promises a 15-foot reach. It comes with an 8-inch bar and chain that are automatically lubricated thanks to the auto oil release feature.
- Adjustable telescopic pole.
- Works with branches up to 7.5 inches in thickness.
- Automatic oil lubrication system.
- Oil container tends to leak when stored.
Another well-constructed pole saw is this one by Worx. It is a 2-in-1 tool that offers a pole saw and a chainsaw in a single product. With an 8-amp motor, this saw is powerful enough to cut through trees and branches, offering more versatility than other pole saws available on the market. With 10 pounds in weight, the manufacturer takes pride in having created one of the most lightweight products on the market. The pole can be extended to a maximum of 8 feet in length. When you pop off the pole, you can use the 10-inch bar chainsaw without having to put in too much effort.
- Auto tension knob.
- Pole saw and chainsaw in a single product.
- Extends up to 8 feet in length.
- Could use more safety features.
We’ve added yet another BLACK+DECKER chainsaw to the list because these babies offer a lot of value for the money, with solid constructions and more performance than you bargained for. The model in question comes with an improved oiling system that offers a clear window so that you can spot the remaining oil in the reservoir whenever needed. The 10-inch bar promises to minimize the amount of kickback that you could get when using this chainsaw. The tensioning feature allows you to adjust the tension as you go, making your cutting endeavors as smooth as possible each time. The unit is powered by an interchangeable 20V lithium-ion battery.
- Easy tensioning system.
- Interchangeable battery.
- Automatic oil lubrication system.
- Oiler doesn’t always work as intended.
Next up, we have the Makita XCU06Z LXT, a chainsaw with an impressive amount of torque and a bunch of features that make it an excellent product to consider. It is a cordless alternative to units that are restricted by the length of a cord, offering more portability and ease of manipulation without any wires getting in the way. It uses an 18V battery that fuels the outer rotor brushless motor for great performance, even if this isn’t a gas-powered saw. It comes with a bunch of features that a lot of users will find helpful, including automatic chain lubrication and lock-off lever to avoid accidental chain engaging.
- Quality brushless motor.
- Adjustable automatic chain lubrication.
- Cuts through dense materials.
- Battery not included.
The last chainsaw that we wanted to show you today is the Remington RM4214, a product designed to offer you performance in a durable and reliable way. It comes with a powerful 42 cc engine that starts very quickly due to the integrated QuickStart technology. It comes with a 140inch bar and chain that’s capable of handling more complicated cutting work compared to what other mini chainsaws can handle. The 5-point anti-vibration system works hand-in-hand with the cushion wrap handle to make it easy for you to get a good grip as you continue to cut. The automatic oiling system will make sure the chain is lubricated at all times.
- High output engine.
- QuickStart technology.
- Automatic oiling system.
- Not the most lightweight option.
What is the best small chainsaw?
It depends on who you ask. Some of the brands that make quality small chainsaws are Makita, BLACK+DECKER, and Sun Joe.
What is the smallest chainsaw you can buy?
The smallest chainsaw is one that has a 6-inch bar and chain, such as the BLACK+DECKER Lopper Chainsaw.
What is a good inexpensive chainsaw?
Once again, there are plenty of brands that make good chainsaws at a decent price, including Remington, WORX, and Greenworks.
How big of a tree can a 20 inch chainsaw cut?
If we’re talking about a gas-powered chainsaw (which is more powerful) with a 20-inch bar, then it would be able to cut trees that are up to 36 inches in diameter, such as spruce, oak, or beech.
When you’re looking to buy a chainsaw, be it a regular or a miniature one, think about what are the different options and what you’re going to use that chainsaw for. There is really no point in investing in a large and heavy chainsaw if you’re mostly going to cut shrubs and small trees. Alternatively, a small chainsaw won’t do if you’re trying to cut a mature oak tree.