We keep hearing about teak furniture, how it’s the best for outdoor use, and then we explore some online stores and discover that it is ridiculously expensive. If you know nothing about the properties of teak wood, their prices truly are absurd.
However, once you learn more about why teak furniture is so special, you’ll start seeing it as more of an investment rather than a sign of opulence. Today, we’re going to learn more about teak furniture, how to care for it, what properties it has, and explore some of the best teak bar stools money can buy in 2021.
Top 3 Picks
Highest weight capacity: Kace 29″ Teak Patio Bar Stool
Made from A-grade teak and hand-crafted by skilled artisans, the Kace is a bar stool that can support up to 350 pounds in weight.
Best swivel chair: Apollonia 29″ Teak Patio Bar Stool
The Apollonia teak stool is a masterpiece that delivers a solid product designed with your comfort in mind. The swivel feature is just a bonus, in my humble opinion.
Customer’s choice: Dune 30″ Teak Patio Bar Stool
“Beautiful chairs. Very well made and packing was great. No assembly needed. Comfortable and sturdy.” (Customer review)
Why Is Teak Wood So Special?
If you ever came across any piece of teak wood furniture, you probably noticed that it’s considerably more expensive compared to other options. Have you ever wondered what makes teak wood so special and why furniture made from teak is more expensive?
A native to the tropic, teak has been used in the homes of the wealthy class, creating furniture that had an excellent reputation. It was then used to build ships (thanks to its ability to fight off dry rot). What’s important to note is that it can take a teak tree 80 years to reach maturity and be harvested for wood.
But why is teak so powerful? It’s because of the rubber and natural oils found in the wood’s tight grain. Oils are found in pretty much all tree types and their primary role is to protect them. Teak is a wood variety that can retain all those oils even when it’s being processed. Due to this phenomenon, teak has outstanding weather-resistant capabilities, and the wood stays protected from dry rot. These natural properties eliminate the need to treat teak with treatments and oils.
Teak is an excellent material for outdoor furniture, but that doesn’t mean it can’t be used to make inside furnishing as well. The natural weathering that occurs in time turns the color of teak from honey brown to silvery gray. Even if it requires a larger upfront investment, it would take a financial effort to treat outdoor furniture made from other wood varieties, which makes teak a well-worth investment.
Bar Stool Height Guide
Believe it or not, bar stools aren’t just those models with tall legs and small backrests that you’re used to seeing in front of pub counters. There are actually four different types of bar stool heights to consider:
- Short-height stools measure between 16 and 23 inches in height and are suitable for table heights that vary between 28 and 33 inches.
- Counter-height stools measure between 24 and 27 inches in height and are suitable for table heights that vary between 35 and 39 inches.
- Bar-height stools have seat heights that measure between 28 and 33 inches and are suitable for table heights that vary between 41 and 43 inches.
- Extra-tall bar height stools are 34 to 40 inches away from the ground and work well when paired with tables that measure between 44 and 47 inches in height.
Needless to say, these measurements are important for the comfort of the person sitting behind the table. Nobody will feel comfortable sitting on an extra-tall stool behind a low-height table. With these measurements in mind, you can avoid incorrect postures.
Caring for Teak Furniture
Teak furniture will either be sealed or not, which means that you have to know the two different methods to care for teak furniture, depending on which kind you have. For natural teak furniture, you will have to for the following:
- Clean your furniture using a stiff bristle brush, but work in the direction of the natural grain to prevent scratching the surface. This will remove any signs of stubborn dirt.
- Using a clean cloth and some water, dampen the surface of the furniture.
- You can use a special teak cleaner or a homemade solution that combines a cup of vinegar to about four liters of warm water. Wash down the surface of the furniture using a soft cloth.
- Allow the solution to soak into the furniture’s surface for about 15 minute, grab a sponge and clean the furniture following the direction of the grain.
- Rinse the teak using your garden hose starting from the bottom up, and then allow it to dry.
Another way to restore natural teak furniture is by pressure watching it. Even if it’s highly weather-resistant, teak furniture will still suffer from discoloration, which is only natural. If teak furniture hasn’t been treated at all and is left outside in its natural state, it can also lead to surface mold. Thankfully, there are ways of cleaning it, and a pressure washer is the right tool to use here:
- Set the pressure washer to the lowest volume or use that doesn’t have a high PSI.
- Attach a wide nozzle spray (those with a 40-degree angle should typically do the trick). If you have multiple nozzles, then choose the widest one.
- Place the nozzle about 12 inches away from the teak surface you’re looking to clean and, using even strokes, clean the teak from top to bottom. You want to pass the water across the entire surface with each stroke in order to prevent creating dirt rings.
- When your teak surface is dry, use 400-grit sandpaper to lightly sand the surface. This prevents the pores of the teak surface from opening and further prevents more build-up.
We wanted to discuss a bit about caring for sealed teak. This type of teak furniture typically requires a little more maintenance, even if it’s pretty counterintuitive and most people think natural teak is more pretentious. Sealant doesn’t allow teak to breathe, and that makes it more difficult to restore in some situations. However, “difficult” and “impossible” aren’t synonyms, so here is what you have to do to care for sealed teak:
- Use a stiff bristle brush to clean the surface of your teak furniture. It is likely that dirt has built up on the surface, especially considering the nature of the environment where outdoor teak furniture resides. Make sure that when you scrub the surface, you follow the wood’s natural grain to prevent any visible scratches that might turn out to be unaesthetic.
- Look for an eco-friendly teak cleaner to maintain the appearance of your sealed teak furniture. For instance, the Eco-100 by Teakdecking Systems is a good choice (you can find it here on Amazon). You are also going to need a soft cloth to rub the cleaner on the furniture. Follow the instructions on the label of the cleaner to see exactly how to apply it.
- You will most likely need to wash the teak furniture down with a hose after you’ve applied the cleaner.
- Once per year, you are going to have to reseal your furniture using special sealant.
Best Teak Bar Stools for Your Patio Bar
To kick off today’s list, we have chosen a bar stool with a rather simple design, but one that doesn’t fail to deliver. It brings together a scooped seat with curves that make it easy to sit down for longer. Handmade from solid teak wood, the chair is constructed using mortise and tenon joinery, all topped off by an expert finish. Since it is made from such a strong wood variety, it can support up to 300 pounds in weight.
For a more comfortable seating experience, we recommend choosing a bar stool that offers arm support and a backrest, such as the Bauman does. The teak construction created a durable and weather-resistant product, one that comes with back slates to facilitate airflow on really hot days, plus a padded cushion that allows you to sit down for longer without feeling sore.
What’s better than an outdoor teak bar stool? A set of two stools, of course! Made with a galvanized iron footrest, this setup delivers a couple of high-quality teak stools that might cost a little more than what you expect, but everything about them is well worth the money. Each of the stools has a weight capacity of 250 pounds and are weather-resistant. Since each piece is handmade, no two pieces will ever be identical.
Another gorgeous bar stool with a quality teak construction is called the Dune. It can support up to 300 pounds in weight and measures 44.5” H x 21.75” W x 23.5” D overall. It is designed with a Thai teak finish, with seating that’s made from wicker weave. It is suitable for bars and tables that measure between 28 and 33 inches.
The same manufacturer that’s responsible for making the Dune bar stool is also responsible for the Lure. made from the same quality teak variety and having a New Thai teak finish, the construction of this chair also uses a wicker weave for the backrest and seating. It can also support up to 300 pounds in weight and comes with a footrest located between the chair’s two front legs.
Made from plantation-raised teak, the Santa Barbara stool features a barrel-style design and is available in an oyster and natural wood finish. It comes with the cushion and allows you to select between multiple colors and patterns, including linen indigo or natural white. It has a weight capacity of 275 pounds and has a slatted seat for more airflow and further comfort during hot summer days.
Made from eco-friendly kiln-dried grade A teak wood (yes, that’s a lot of titles, but they give out important information on the quality of the teak used), the Apollonia bar stool is clearly designed with the user’s comfort in mind. It has swivel features and a slatted sweating and backrest design, with teak arms that are meant to support you as you sit down and enjoy quality time spent on the patio. Cushions are available as an extra purchase, and they’re made from water-repellent Sunbrella fabric.
Designed to make a statement and to offer you incredible nights in the comfort of your own backyard, the Diuna stool is another product that’s so well designed and resistant, it can be used outside as well as indoors. The clear lines are complemented by seating and backrest curves, offering the perfect place to rest in front of your outdoor bar.
With a simple design, yet irrefutable quality, the Catalina is a chair that could easily match just about any outdoor bar setup you have in mind. It has a solid construction and a timeless appeal, and it’s made with quality grade-A teak. It comes with a cushion that dries out quickly because of its three-layer construction and porous foam center. It can support up to 300 pounds in weight and comes with a footrest.
While the Kace teak patio bar stool is our last product for today, it is not the last teak stool that impressed us, the market is filled with amazing products that are designed for extensive outdoor use (but we don’t want to bore you with a gazillion models and we’ll leave some of the product browsing to you). The Kace stool is made from A-grade teak and is handmade by artisans to the gorgeous product you see before you. It has a hand-rubbed wax finish and a design that can support up to 350 pounds in weight.
Teak is a wood variety with amazing properties. It is dense enough to prevent warping, bending, or breaking over time. It contains a lot of natural oil that won’t allow any dry rot. It comes with a resin that keeps away termites and other insects. And, even if it costs more, it is definitely a worthy investment. While some teak-based pieces of furniture are good for indoor use, you mostly want to invest in teak because of the properties that make it suitable for outdoor use. It’s weather-resistant capacity is truly unique.