DIY Mud Cloth Inspired Pillow
Trendy tribal inspired mud cloth can come at a hefty price but looks great in any room! Make your own on a budget with this super easy DIY project. Create a simple pillow to toss on a sofa or bed. It’s the perfect neutral piece that will go with any decor!
- Neutral linen (one half to one full yard depending on pillow size)
- Cutting mat
- Straight edge
- Sewing scissors or rotary cutter
- Measuring tape
- Straight pins
- Permanent fabric pen
- Card stock
- Sewing machine
- Iron and ironing board
- Pillow insert
1. To start you will make an envelope style cover from your fabric. Do this by placing your pillow down on the fabric. If needed, give your fabric a nice press with an iron and ironing board prior to cutting (to get out any wrinkles or folds). Measure your pillow. Cut out a piece of fabric that is two and a half times the width of the pillow (so that the fabric covers the front of the pillow and overlaps on the back). Cut your length approximately one to two inches longer than your pillow height (size preference will be dependent on your desired seam allowance). Use your straight edge and measure to make these measurements and cuts.
2. Once you have the fabric measured and cut for your envelope pillow case, pin the sides where your fabric overlaps. Make sure that your fabric is turned inside out and pinned in the envelope style. If desired, pin and sew one of the edges of the overlapping sides (the one that will be out once the envelope case is put on the pillow).
3. Use your sewing machine to sew along the lines that you pinned. This should be all the sewing involved. Simply turn the case right side out and you should have a completed envelope pillow case!
4. To give your pillow case that tribal inspired mud cloth look, grab a piece of card stock or straight edge corner and a permanent fabric pen. Trace around the corner on one piece of your fabric. Continue this down a line in whatever pattern you desire (here we went with a staggered line pattern). It doesn’t have to be perfect, and in fact looks more authentic when a little off kilter!
Insert your pillow into the case, straighten everything out and put it on display!