Create this simple budget friendly modernist banner to add a little holiday cheer to your home decor without going into holiday overload! This banner is sleek and minimal, giving a classic look to your holiday decor. Use it to temporarily replace an already existing piece of art in the home and easily remove after the holiday is over! Pick a fun font and color that accents your already existing home decor. Just a few easy steps and you can create your own in no time!
- dowel rod cut down to size
- neutral colored fabric or canvas
- fabric scissors or rotary cutter
- black fabric paint
- black yarn
- pencil or erasable fabric marker
- print out of a holiday word in a fun font
- straight edge
- cutting mat or measuring tape
- sewing machine
1. Start by creating your banner out of your fabric. It is easiest if you size it to approximately the size of your printer paper (8.5″ x 11″) with a few extra inches at the bottom for the pendent and a 2 inch seam allowance at the top where you will create the opening for your dowel rod. Measure and cut to your desired size.
2. Create a sleeve at the top to accommodate the dowel rod by pinning the top 1-2 inches down to the wrong side of the fabric. Pin and sew a simple straight line.
3. Insert your dowel rod into the sleeve.
4. To put your letters on the fabric, use your print out to cut and trace the letters with a pencil or erasable marker (that can be wiped off later).
5. Use your fabric paint to go over the traced letters. Make your letters as thick or as thin as desired. If you go with a thicker font, fill in with more fabric paint to create a thicker letter. Let dry for the time indicated on the back of the bottle.
6. Once the paint is dry, add yard or string at the top so that the banner can be hung on a hook or nail on the wall!
Find the perfect place on the wall, add a hook or nail and display throughout the holidays!