Getting bored with your plain store bought toss pillow? Looking for a way to dress it up a bit? Adding a pom pom border is an easy, simple, and inexpensive solution! Pick a fun bold color to complement or accentuate your pillow color (like this black pom pom border with this great teal pillow)! Get creative here with the color matching for your space.
Pom Pom Pillow Supplies:
- toss pillow (store bought it definitely the easiest but you can go for handmade if you prefer)
- 2 to 3 yards small pom pom garland in desired color (pick up at your local sewing store, get more than you think you will need just in case)
- needle & thread in a color that matches the pom pom garland (thicker embroidery thread will also work)
1. Find an inexpensive toss pillow at the store or quickly hand make one yourself. To embellish, thread your needle and start at one of the corners of the pillow to sew on the pom pom garland.
2. Using a zig zag stitch, hand stitch the pom pom around the border of the pillow. Don’t cut down the pom pom strand ahead of time, just continue around the pillow until you are finished. If you measure it out and cut ahead of time you may end of slightly short. Tip- when sewing around the corners use very small stitches and if you can, try to get the one of the pom poms right on the tip of the corner (see below).
3. Sew up the end of the pom poms at the corner where you started and cut off the excess pom poms and thread to finish the project. So quick & easy!
Display the pillow on the couch, a chair, or the bed with the strand part of the garland facing towards you or away from you (looks great either way). The pom pom adds a fun feminine look so it’s perfect for a young girls room or along side shabby chic decor. Or use it to juxtapose a modern space! Pair with another fun patterned pillow (like this monochromatic blue and green geometric pillow or a fun complimentary colored pattern)!