The right laminate floor cleaner will remove dirt and build-up, leaving your floors pristine.
Although laminate looks similar to wood, it requires more gentle care. Using a harsh cleaner or cleaning too often can dull your floors, causing irreparable damage.
Here’s how to clean your floors to increase their longevity, plus the top 8 commercial cleaners plus two DIY laminate floor cleaners you can make yourself.
Best Laminate Floor Cleaners
- Overall Best: Black Diamond Wood and Laminate Floor Cleaner Amazon and Walmart
- Best Budget: Simple Green Multisurface Floor Care Amazon and Lowes
- Best for Pet Urine: Nature’s Miracle Hard Floor Cleaner – Amazon and Walmart
- Best All-Natural: Better Life Floor Cleaner – Amazon and Walmart
- Best Streak-Free: Weiman Hard Floor Cleaner – Amazon and Home Depot
- Best Spray: Bona Hard Surface Floor Cleaner Spray – Amazon and Walmart
- Best Cleaning Concentrate: Mrs. Meyer’s Multi Surface Cleaner – Amazon and Walmart
- Best Mop: Rubbermaid Reveal Spray Microfiber Floor Mop – Amazon and Walmart
How to Care for Laminate Floors
Laminate floors are durable and low maintenance, but they can’t tolerate much water. It’s crucial to only damp mop them and never let water sit on the surface for an extended period. Water can penetrate through the floor’s cracks, causing expansion and warping.
Here’s a basic rundown of how to care for laminate:
- Vacuum or sweep every week or as needed. When dirt is left on laminate and walked over, it acts like sandpaper, causing tiny surface scratches. So sweep your floors at least once per week and vacuum up noticeable dirt as you spot it.
- Dry mop once per week. Run a dry microfiber mop over your floors once per week to trap small dust particles.
- Spot clean messes. Spot clean dirt and sticky residue by spraying the area with a gentle cleaner and wiping.
- Be quick to clean up spills. Excess moisture can damage laminate floors causing them to swell.
- Damp mop every month. Damp-mop your laminate floors about every month. Some homeowners choose to mop every two weeks, while others go as long as 2-3 months between mopping.
- Avoid harsh cleaners. The top layer (wear layer) of laminate is a clear coat that protects the flooring and gives it shine. Acidic cleaners like vinegar can wear this layer away, dulling your floors.
Black Diamond Wood and Laminate Floor Cleaner removes dirt, smudges, grease, and footprints. It’s safe for laminate, hardwoods, and engineered flooring. But what makes it unique is its Poly PS3 Shield.
The PS3 shield is an invisible layer left behind after using the product. It can help your floor resist grease, water, and residue build-up.
The Black Diamond laminate cleaner comes in a spray bottle. After vacuuming, spray a small section of the floor and go over it with a microfiber mop. Repeat until you’ve cleaned the entire floor. You don’t need to rinse afterward – it will dry streak free.
Black Diamond laminate cleaner has a 4.5 out of 5-star rating from over 8,000 users. Reviewers love this cleaner for its ease of use and how well it cleans dirt, water spots, and marks. Negative reviews are minimal, but there are a few complaints that this cleaner didn’t leave the floor shiny.
- Convenient spray bottle
- Cleans and protects against water spots and grease build-up
- Mild scent
- May not leave your floor shiny
Try Simple Green Multisurface Floor Care if you want a product that cleans well and is easy on the wallet. It’s pH neutral and safe for all hard floors, including laminate.
Simple Green contains plant-based ingredients, including essential oils, and comes in a spray bottle. To use this cleaner, spray it on the floor in a small section and mop with a damp microfiber mop. Change the mop pad out if it becomes too saturated.
Simple Green Multi-Surface Floor Care is rated 4.5 out of 5 stars by more than 300 reviewers. Some users swear by this product, claiming it leaves their floors clean, shiny, and streak free.
- Less expensive than comparable products
- pH neutral, gentle cleaning power
- Plant-based ingredients
- Some complaints about the seal on the bottle
If you have pets and deal with potty training accidents on a regular basis, use Nature’s Miracle Hard Floor Cleaner to spot treat urine and feces messes.
Nature’s Miracle Hard Floor Cleaner contains bio enzymes that will break down stains and odors left by cats and dogs. It’s safe for all hard floor surfaces, including laminate. To use this cleaner, start by wiping away the pet’s mess. Then spray the area, wipe with a fresh cloth, and repeat.
With 4.5 out of 5 stars from over 7,000 reviews, Nature’s Miracle is a top pick if you need to clean urine odor off your laminate flooring. Most reviewers rave over this product, claiming it’s the only cleaner that removes the pee smell from their homes. There are some complaints, however, about the spray nozzle being hard to use.
- Eliminates pet urine odor and stains
- Safe for hard, sealed floors, including laminate
- Easy to use
- Complaints about the spray nozzle being hard to use
Better Life Floor Cleaner is all-natural, safe for hard non-porous surfaces, and has a pleasant citrus mint smell. It was one of the first Better Life cleaners I tried and my favorite of their products.
The Better Life Floor Cleaner comes in a squirt bottle. After vacuuming, you can squirt a small amount of this cleaner on the floor and then go over it with a damp microfiber mop. Repeat until you’ve covered all your flooring—no need to rinse afterward.
Better Life Floor Cleaner has amassed over 10,000 reviews with a 4.5 out of 5-star rating. Top reviewers love that it’s easy to use and smells good. Negative reviews claim the cleaner left spots on their floors.
- All-natural laminate floor cleaner
- It comes in a convenient squirt bottle
- Pleasant scent
- Some complaints that this product leaves a sticky haze behind
Best Streak-Free: Weiman Hard Floor Cleaner – Amazon and Home Depot
A streak-free cleaner is important when cleaning laminate. And while we looked for this trait on every cleaner on our list, Weiman Hard Floor Cleaner is highly rated for leaving a residue and streak-free clean.
Weiman Hard Floor Cleaner is safe for laminate, hardwoods, and engineered floors. It comes in a squirt bottle. To use it, start by vacuuming your floors. Then, squirt some product onto the floor and go over it with a damp mop. Repeat across the entire floor.
Weiman Hard Floor Cleaner has a 4.5 out of 5-star rating from more than 900 reviews. The biggest praise is that it leaves a floor clean and shiny without a haze or streaks. Critics state the cleaner is just okay.
- Streak-free laminate floor cleaner
- Squirt and mop or put in a spray mop
- Leaves floors clean and shiny
- Some complaints about smudges after cleaning
Bona Hard Surface Floor Cleaner Spray is hard to beat if you’re looking for a laminate spray. It comes premixed in a spray bottle and has a water base that makes it fast drying.
Bona Hard Surface Floor Cleaner is safe for all sealed hard floors, including laminate. It’s pH neutral and dries residue and streak free. To use it, start by vacuuming. Then spray the solution on the floor and mop with a damp mop—no need to rinse afterward.
Bona Hard Surface Floor Cleaner Spray is rated 4.5 out of 5 stars by over 6,000 users. Top reviewers verify that it doesn’t leave any haze or streaks. A few negative reviewers believe the product doesn’t clean well.
- It comes in a spray bottle
- pH neutral and safe for all hard floor types
- Dries residue and streak free
- Overspray of the product may lead to residue
If you like to use a single cleaner to tackle multiple household surfaces, consider Mrs. Meyer’s Multi Surface Cleaning Concentrate. When diluted, this product is safe for laminate floors and other hard, non-porous surfaces throughout the house.
To use this cleaner on laminate, dilute it per the instructions. (Dilution makes the product pH neutral and safe for your floors.) Then put the cleaner in a spray mop or dampen a microfiber pad with the solution and clean your floors. Change out your mop head if it becomes too dirty or oversaturated.
Mrs. Meyer’s Cleaning Concentrate is rated 5 out of 5 stars by over 13,000 users. It’s a fan favorite for its versatility, smell, and cleaning power.
- All-purpose cleaner you can use on many surfaces
- pH neutral when diluted per instructions
- Can use in a spray mop
- Not a dedicated laminate floor cleaner
Microfiber mops are the best mops for cleaning laminate floors. And if you like spray mops, the Rubbermaid Reveal is hard to beat.
The Rubbermaid Reveal mop comes with two 22-ounce refillable bottles and three washable microfiber pads. But best of all, it doesn’t require batteries. Instead, you can fill the spray bottles with your favorite laminate cleaner, which makes cleaning quick and easy.
With 4.5 out of 5 stars on Amazon from more than 10,000 reviews, this mop receives a high rating for its convenience. I’ve had the Rubbermaid Reveal mop for over five years, and it’s still going strong. There are some complaints that the built-in scrubber doesn’t work well, though.
- Convenient spray mop that you can use with any mopping solution
- It comes with three washable microfiber pads and two reusable bottles
- It doesn’t require batteries
- The scrubber is hard to use (but also unnecessary for laminate floors)
Homemade Laminate Floor Cleaner
If you’d rather make your own laminate floor cleaner, here are two recipes that’ll leave your floor clean and streak-free.
DIY Hard Floor Cleaner
Our DIY hard floor cleaner is safe for laminate and other sealed hard flooring surfaces. It only contains four ingredients.
To make it, combine one gallon of warm water with 1 cup of white distilled vinegar, ½ cup of 70% rubbing alcohol, and ¼ teaspoon of Dawn dish soap. Add to your mop’s spray bottle or dampen a mop head with the solution and clean your floors.
You don’t need to rinse afterward.
Non-Vinegar Homemade Laminate Cleaner Spray
If you don’t want to use vinegar to clean your laminate floors, you don’t have to. (And you should never use vinegar at a high strength on laminate.)
Here’s what to do:
- Fill a spray bottle with warm water
- Add two drops of castile soap
- Add a few drops of your favorite essential oils
Spray the floor and go over the solution with a damp microfiber mop. Change out your mop pad if it becomes too saturated.
Frequently Asked Questions (FAQ)FAQ
What cleaners to avoid on laminate?
Never use abrasive cleaners that can cause scratches on your laminate floors. Also, be wary of corrosive cleaners like bleach or acidic cleaners like vinegar. While you can use diluted vinegar, using it at a high concentration will dull the wear layer on laminate.
Can you steam mop laminate floors?
Since laminate floors don’t react well with water or high heat, you shouldn’t steam mop them. Steam mopping can cause them to swell and warp.
Do you need to seal laminate floors?
As long as you care for your laminate floors, there’s no need to add a sealant. Laminate floors come with a hard clear coat on top that protects the layers underneath.
Laminate floors are durable and low maintenance. But since they can’t withstand lots of water or harsh cleaners, it’s essential to use a gentle product and a damp mop.
As you clean your floors, watch for pools of standing water. Switch out your mop head as it becomes dirty or wet.