It’s back to school we go, and you know what that means?! New school supplies, of course! So why not start the year off right with unique materials no one else has by DIY-ing your own? Great for note-taking in non-classroom learning environments, these house-shaped clipboards are inexpensive, easy to make, and can be tailored to almost any color scheme. Not only are they timely for back to school, but they’re also great for grocery shopping and other portable list-making situations. Bring on that to-do list!
- 1/8″ thick hardboard
- Mitre saw or hand saw
- T-square or ruler
- Marker or pencil
- 2 colors of spray paint
- 1/8″ wide painter’s tape
- Bulldog clip
- Industrial strength adhesive
1. Draw out a 9.5″ x 15″ rectangle on one corner of the hardboard.
2. Measure from the bottom edge of the rectangle and mark 12″ up on both the left and right sides. Then mark the midpoint of the top edge of the rectangle. Connect each of the side marks to the midpoint forming the “pointed roof” of the clipboard.
3. Use a mitre or hand saw to cut out the clipboard shape.
4. Spray paint house with the paint color you’d like for the stripes or accent color. Allow to dry and apply another coat.
5. For the striped clip board, tape off horizontal stripes every 1.5″ with 1/8″ painter’s tape. For the “sprinkles” clip board, cut 1/2″ strips of 1/8″ painter’s tape and place at random on the clip board. Press down tape firmly to ensure clean paint lines.
6. Spray the taped clip board with the contrasting spray paint color. 2 coats are recommended for full coverage. Allow to dry and peel off the painters tape to reveal the contrasting accent paint color.
7. Spray paint the bulldog clip with the paint color of your choice (2 coats), and glue the bulldog clip to the hardboard with industrial strength adhesive. Allow to dry and clip up your favorite notebook!