There are many reasons you might need to know how to hang curtains without drilling. For example, you may be in a rental apartment that doesn’t allow you to put holes in the walls. Or, you may own a historic home that has plaster walls that make it difficult to drill holes.
Of course, there are several wonderful ways to hang curtains without drilling. We are here to help you understand all the ways that you can still beautify your home and bring privacy to your interior spaces without drilling holes to hold the rods for curtains.
How to Hang Curtains Without Drilling
There are many great ways to attach curtains without drilling into the wall, but not every way will work for your situation. For example, you must take into account your specific needs and home’s architecture to decide the ways that will work for you.
A tension rod works through a spring mechanism inside a rod that creates tension when you stretch it from one side of the frame to another. Tension rods work well as temporary curtain rods because there is no need for drilling and creating wall damage.
If you think that a tension rod will work for your situation, consider this curtain rod from Maytex. The Maytex Twist and Shout Tension Window Curtain Rod fits inside a door or window frame.
This is great for light window treatments like sheers, light cotton panels, or shades.
- A tension rod works without putting holes into the wall.
- These rods are easy for anyone to use.
- You can fit tension rods into many size door and window frames.
- A tension rod will work just in door and window frames, not on the wall.
- You must use lightweight curtains with a tension rod as they will not hold heavy curtains.
- A tension rod works best on small windows, and does not work on large door or window frames as they will sag in the middle.
Command Hooks for Curtain Rods
If you need an option that will fit outside a door or window frame, command hooks might be a better option for you. These are a good choice for curtain rods for renters.
Like command strips, they work by sticking onto a surface like a wall without creating damage by drilling.
Just pull off the surface from the back of the sticker on the hook and hold against the wall for the time required.
The Command Curtain Rod Hooks come in brushed nickel. Find a brushed nickel curtain rod for a look to complement the hooks.
In addition, these hold up to 5 lbs of weight. If you need help on how to do this, check out this blog post from Morgan Ma Belle on her easy apartment-friendly curtain rods using Command Hooks.
- You can hang curtains outside the door and window frame.
- These have an easy to use adhesive strip that works on many different surfaces.
- A command hook can create damage to the wall if the instructions for removing are not followed.
- These hooks do not hold large curtain rods.
- A command hook cannot hold curtains that are over 5lbs, so heavy curtains like drapes will not work.
Tap brackets from Spark Innovators are a clever solution as a renter-friendly curtain rod for hanging apartment curtains. This is a real curtain rod that you tap onto a door or window frame with a hammer.
Therefore, you will not need to use screws or drills to attach this hanger to the window frame. Of course, there are many types of these brackets. For example, another popular option is the Kwik Hang curtain brackets.
- Tap Brackets are easy for anyone to use.
- These brackets will hold weight up to 30lbs, so you can use these to hang heavy curtains like drapes.
- There is no need for accurate measurements with these brackets as they fit from one side of the door or window frame to the other.
- The Tap Brackets are aesthetically pleasing as they are like real curtain rods.
- This bracket will create small holes in the top of the window frame.
- You cannot place these brackets anywhere. Rather, you can use them just around doors and window frames.
- These brackets have a particular style that might not be to everyone’s taste or work with the aesthetics of their window treatment.
Over the Door Hooks
Here is another for hanging curtains without drilling from jenandlargo. She uses modified “over the door” hooks that she inserted into the ceiling panes on her porch.
Next, she modified the door hooks to hold curtain rods that she fashioned from PVC pipe.
Once she fit the curtain rods onto the door hook, she hung the curtains onto the rod with “s” hooks.
- This is an inexpensive solution for hanging curtains without drilling.
- The curtain width does not matter for this solution as you can modify it to fit any curtain measurement.
- This is a DIY solution. Therefore, it requires some work and a few materials that not everyone will be able to accomplish.
- This solution requires a ceiling area that may not be present where you want to place your curtains.
Magnetic Curtain Rod
Another no drill curtain rod option is a magnetic curtain rod. If you have metal doors or windows, this could be the perfect solution for you. Also, there are many available options from the Turquoize Store. For example, this one, is crafted from champagne gold for a classic look.
- This is easy for anyone to install and takes just a few seconds to attach to a metal door or window.
- This rod has an attractive and classic look with different finishes that work well with many styles.
- They come in many sizes which you can adjust to fit different doors.
- This solution does not work on other surfaces than a metal door or window.
- Magnetic curtain rod options do not hold very much weight. Therefore, you should use lightweight curtains rather than drapes.
Adhesive Curtain Rod
This adjustable curtain rod is a wonderful way to hang curtains without making holes. This stick on the curtain rod from Amazon extends to a maximum width of 28 inches. In addition, it adheres to a variety of smooth surfaces like wood, metal, glass, and tile.
- This curtain rod is easy to use and is adjustable between 11-28 inches.
- This stick on rod works in multiple places and surfaces.
- They have an attractive, minimalist design that goes with a variety of styles.
- These rods will not hold heavy curtains.
- They do not adhere to every surface including walls that have a rough texture.
Ways to Hang Curtains Without a Rod
What if you can’t install curtains by drilling holes and you don’t have or want to use a curtain rod? There are a couple of ways to hang curtains in this way.
- Hooks – Rather than use a rod, attack adhesive hooks above the door or window frame and attach loops of string or rings with clips to the top of the curtains. However, you will not be able to slide the curtains back and forth across the window with this method. Also, you will need tie-backs to be able to pull the curtains back and keep them open.
- Wire – Use adhesive hooks on either side of the window and string a heavy-duty wire across them. Next, hang the curtain from the wire either with the wire through the pole pocket or with curtain rings and clips.
- Make a rod – If curtain rods are out of your budget, make your own. For example, you can craft a curtain rod from PVC pipe or metal conduit from a DIY store. Also, you can paint these any color you desire. Last, hang them with adhesive hooks.
Frequently Asked Questions (FAQ)FAQ
Can I hang curtains without drilling holes?
Yes, there are so many ways to hang curtains without no need to resort to a drill. Adhesive options like hook or adhesive rods are good for lightweight curtains. If you need a curtain or shade to fit within a door or window frame, use a tension rod. If you have heavier curtains like blackout curtains or drapes, use a tap bracket of some kind.
How can I hang curtains around my bed without drilling?
There are a couple of ways to add curtains around your bed without the need to drill. First, you can use adhesive hooks and attach them around your bed at strategic locations. However, if your ceiling surface is not even, these can be difficult to use. Instead, use eye hooks that you hand screw into the ceiling. Do this to avoid creating large holes. Before you leave your apartment, be sure to take out the hooks and put some caulk in the holes to make sure that you get your security deposit back.
What can I use instead of curtain hooks?
Instead of curtain hooks, use “s” hooks purchased from a DIY store. You can customize them by painting them whatever color you desire.
What is the best way to hang curtains without drilling?
The best way to hang curtains without a drill is using the brackets that fit over the window frame. These hold the most weight and they look attractive. They will not work on every situation, but they work in the majority of cases and work for all kinds of curtains.
Curtains are an important part of home design and increase functionality by bringing privacy and the ability to control the light in your home.
However, hanging curtains in apartments or on problematic walls is difficult to do without creating damage.
Consider each of these solutions to see which option is right for your home spaces. After all, you should not have to choose between using curtains and damaging your walls.
With enough creativity and innovation, you can have both curtains and spotless walls.