Create a simple yet trendy piece of art that’s really friendly on the budget and very easy to make. Style your own pattern and color scheme to accent any room- the perfect piece for a living room bookshelf, on your bedroom wall in a large scale, or to add a pop of color to your office space! A few craft store or hardware store supplies and about an hour’s worth of time are all that’s standing between you and this fun decorative piece!
- 10″ x 10″ Plywood board
- Drill press with thin drill bit
- Yarn in various colors
- Straight edge
- Clear coat (spray version)
1. Have your local hardware store cut a piece of plywood to 10″ x 10″ (or your desired dimension). Use your straight edge to mark and draw lines every inch going vertically on your board (very lightly with a pencil).
2. Repeat the marking out and drawing lines every inch horizontally. This will create intersections every inch on one large grid. The intersections will become where your holes will be on your peg board.
3. Drill holes at every intersection with your drill press. Drill slowly and smoothly with a small drill bit to avoid blow out on the other side of the board.
4. Use sand paper to sand the front and back of the of the board. Sand off the pencil marks and any blow out or splinters on the edge of the board.
5. Finish off the board with a smooth coat of clear lacquer. Let dry for the amount of time indicated on the back of the bottle.
6. Now it’s time to create your art! Thread a needle with one of the colors of yarn and thread through the holes in a chevron style pattern (or any pattern you desire!). For this piece we alternated colors to create a colorful springy pattern!
Display on a shelf or add a bracket to the back and hang up on the wall. If you opt for a larger board you can make your grid larger (2 inches instead of 1 to make an amplified pattern)!