Choosing the most suitable feng shui bedroom colors will go a long way to creating the right mood for rest and relaxation. There are a variety of ways to approach this decision. You should consider your personal preferences, the area of the bedroom on the bagua map, the energy of the five elements, and your intention for the space. All of these factors, plus general color theory, will help as you choose the best colors for your bedroom spaces.
The Process of Deciding Ideal Feng Shui Bedroom Colors
Deciding on the most optimal feng shui bedroom colors is a difficult process for everyone. It helps that there is no “right” answer, but there are some guidelines that can help you as you walk through the process of deciding which colors to put in this personal space.
Choose Colors You Love
Personal choice and preference are not an insignificant consideration in feng shui design. Instead, it should be a central factor in helping you decide which color is best for bedroom spaces. You should be asking yourself which colors allow you to rest and relax and which colors make you feel comforted and protected. Some colors will attract and interest us more than others, and you should pay attention to your intuition when you are choosing colors for this personal space.
Consider the Bagua Map
Feng shui designers use the bagua map to determine the energy flow in a given space. The BTB bagua is divided into eight sections that are arrayed around one middle section. Each of these areas represents an area of life, and each is associated with certain colors. Determine where the bedroom is according to a bagua map. By using the color in the bedroom that is associated with the area on the bagua map, you will activate the energy in a particular area of your life.
- Career Area – Black and Deep Blue
- Knowledge and Self-Cultivation – Black, Green, and Blue
- Family and New Beginnings – Green and Blue
- Wealth and Prosperity – Red, Blue, and Purple
- Fame and Reputation – Red
- Love and Relationships – Pink, Red, and White
- Children and Creativity – White
- Travel and Helpful People – Gray, White, and Black
- Health – Yellow, Brown, Orange
Incorporate the Five Elements
The five elements of wood, water, earth, fire, and metal are the foundation of the universe. It is vital that you balance the unique energies of each element throughout your space. You can choose to highlight different elements using unique colors to activate a particular type of energy in your bedroom.
- Water: Shades of Deep Blue, Blue-Green, and Black – The water element represents flow and adaptability. Use this energy if you are feeling stuck and need to find a way to move on.
- Metal: Shades of White and Gray – Use the metal element if you want to activate energy that contributes to precision, organization, and structure.
- Fire: Shades of Red and Orange – Fire energy is active, enthusiastic, and passionate. This is a good element if you want to kindle passion with a partner or if you are feeling dull or lifeless in other areas of your life.
- Earth: Shades of Brown and Yellow – The earth element represents nurture, protection, and stability. Use this element if you want to create more security in your surroundings.
- Wood: Shades of Green, Blue-Green, and Brown – Wood energy represents upward momentum and growth. This element is helpful if you want to activate abundance and movement.
Intention for the Room
Setting a particular intention for the room is crucial in deciding what bedroom colors to consider. Most bedrooms should be places of relaxation and connection, but some bedroom spaces, like children’s rooms, are also places where you want to spark creativity and learning. Consider each particular color’s energy to decide which color should predominate in a particular bedroom.
Create Balance With an Emphasis on Yin Energy
Your overall color choices should create a balance of yin and yang energy throughout your home. Most feng shui experts believe that the bedroom should primarily have yin energy as it is more restful than active and aggressive yang energy. Yin colors are more passive, soothing, and calming. Yang colors are bright and vibrant. Choose a color base that is yin, but don’t be afraid of adding some yang colors if any area of your life needs more active energy.
Experiment and Adjust
Once you have made your decision regarding the best colors for bedroom spaces, don’t be shy about trying them out. Consider how the colors make you feel and how they work with the light and shade throughout the room. Adjust the colors as necessary if you dislike them.
Meaning of Bedroom Colors in Feng Shui
There is no hard and fast rule for the best colors for bedrooms in feng shui design. While most feng shui designers avoid too much yang energy, there is even a time and place for these vibrant colors if they bring joy to you.
Shades of White
White represents clarity and purity in feng shui belief. Shades of white are an excellent base color in feng shui bedrooms as it creates clean and calming energy. White colors can also enhance the flow of energy throughout the room. Yet, white can also be sterile and unforgiving. Shades of white, like cream and off-white, work well with a variety of colors. You can choose other complementing colors based on the room’s location on the bagua map or according to the five elements and the energy they represent.
- Element: Metal
- Area of Bagua Map: Children & Creativity or Travel & Helpful People
- Complementing Colors: Any colors work well with shades of white.
Shades of Gray
Gray is a color that signifies strength and precision. Shades of gray are useful in providing a stabilizing and grounding effect in a given space. Feng shui experts also believe that this is the color that symbolizes balance because it is a combination of yin and yang energy. Use it with other soothing neutrals or add in pops of color to symbolize other vital energy that you want to activate.
- Element: Metal
- Area of Bagua Map: Travel & Helpful People
- Complementing Colors: Shades of green, blue, red/pink, yellow, purple, and other neutrals
Shades of Yellow
Feng shui experts associate the color yellow with warmth, happiness, and abundance. Earthy shades of yellow also represent grounding and stability. Be cautious about using too much vibrant yellow in your bedroom, as this active energy can discourage a restful atmosphere. Choose instead soothing yellow tones that lean toward brown or are lightened with white.
- Element: Earth
- Area of Bagua Map: Health
- Complementing Colors: Shades of blue, green, gray, purple, orange, brown, and white
Shades of Brown
Shades of brown are ideal in bedrooms where you want to emphasize security and protection. Brown is a grounding color that can be particularly helpful in a bedroom if you move around frequently and need to feel connected to your space. You can also use shades of brown to represent growth and flexibility.
- Element: Earth and Wood
- Area of Bagua Map: Health
- Complementing Colors: Shades of blue, green, gray, white, red/pink and yellow
Shades of Green
Green represents renewal, growth, and flexibility. Soothing shades of green can create a calming space where you feel energized and renewed. Green is a popular choice for feng shui bedrooms because it is a versatile color and because of its healthful energy.
- Element: Wood
- Area of Bagua Map: Family
- Complementing Colors: Shades of blue, brown, red/pink, gray, white, and yellow
Shades of Blue
Feng shui experts associate the color blue with calmness, serenity, and clarity. Blue is another popular choice for feng shui bedrooms because of its varied depth and shades. Choose a shade of blue that typifies the type of energy you want to enhance. Light shades of blue create a sense of peace and tranquility. Deep shades of blue provide a sense of grounding and stability.
- Element: Water and Wood
- Area of Bagua Map: Career and Knowledge and Self-Cultivation
- Complementing Colors: Shades of green, yellow, orange, pink/red, purple, brown, gray, and white
Shades of Black
Black is a powerful color in feng shui design. It signifies mystery, depth, power, and protection. Black is associated with the entrance area of your home, so it is not typically in the area for bedrooms, but this doesn’t mean that you can’t use shades of black if you love them. Use black or even black accents if you want to add a layer of sophistication to your space.
- Element: Water
- Area of Bagua Map: Career
- Complementing Colors: Shades of blue, green, white, brown, gray, and purple
Shades of Red
Just like the vibrant tones of red, red represents passion, energy, and dynamism. Many feng shui experts do not advise extensive use of vibrant reds in a bedroom as this can create too much energy for rest and relaxation. Feel free to accent with red tones to add some passion and energy to your room. Pink is an ideal choice for bedrooms as this can help to spur romance, love, and connection.
- Element: Fire
- Area of Bagua Map: Fame and Reputation and Love and Relationships
- Complementing Colors: Shades of blue, green, gray, orange, brown, and white
Shades of Orange
Orange, like red, is associated with the fire element. Feng shui designers use it to represent joy, creativity, and enthusiasm. Be cautious of using too much orange in bedrooms as this energy is very active, but soothing earth-toned oranges work well in bedroom spaces.
- Element: Fire and Earth
- Area of Bagua Map: Health
- Complementing Colors: Shades of blue, yellow, red, gray, and brown
Shades of Purple
Shades of purple signify luxury, abundance, and creativity. Deep purple tones lend a look of sophistication and elegance to bedroom spaces. Be sure to balance the dark tones of purple with more muted colors like gray and shades of white to balance the look of the space.
- Element: Fire
- Area of Bagua Map: Wealth and Prosperity
- Complementing Colors: Shades of blue, red/pink, gray, black, brown, and white