Whether you’re a renter or a homeowner, you should definitely know how to patch drywall. Even if you’re careful around your home and always try to keep your home in pristine condition, there are bound to be dents from furniture, small holes from when you hung up a piece of artwork or even holes from previous tenants.
Rather than spend a hefty amount of money to hire a contractor or handyman, it’s not difficult to patch up drywall on your own. All you need are the right tools along with the correct approach, and you’re good to go. To help, we’ve put together 5 of the best drywall patch kits to get you started. We’ve also put together a comprehensive guide on how to go about patching your drywall so your home will look as good as new.
How to patch your drywall with a drywall patch kit
Before patching your drywall, make sure that you’ve checked the location of where your wires and plumbs are. The last thing you’d want is to cut a wire or burst a pipe accidentally. You should also don the appropriate protective gear such as goggles that’ll protect your eyes, a dust mask and some gloves.
If you’ve got small dents and holes
For small dents and holes, you’ll want to follow the steps below:
- Start by scraping away any leftover residue that may be around the area – such as paint that’s chipping.
- Cover the hole with spackle and use a putty knife to smooth it out and ensure that it’s level with the wall.
- Once the spackle is dry, proceed to sand and paint the area.
If you’ve got larger holes that are caused by large nails or doorknobs, you’d want to use a drywall patch kit:
- Start by sanding the area around the hole before wiping off any dust.
- Apply the self-adhesive mesh patch onto the affected area.
- Then, cover the patch with joint compound. When covering it, you’d want to increase pressure on the putty knife to feather the edges.
- Let the area dry before applying the second coat of joint compound if required.
- Finally, you’d want to sand the surface until smooth before wiping away any dust and paint.
If you’ve got large holes you’d need to patch on your drywall, the process is a tad more complicated as you’ll need to patch the area with a piece of drywall that’s backed by a wood support. When selecting your drywall, make sure that it’s the same thickness as the current material. If you don’t want to purchase an entire sheet, plenty of home improvement stores also carry drywall scraps.
- Start by cutting your scrap into a square that’s slightly larger than the hole.
- Then, you’d want to place the square over the hole and trace an outline in pencil.
- If there’s no electrical wire or plumbing in the area, go ahead and use a drywall saw to cut along the outline.
- Go ahead and attach the furring strips inside the wall with a drill and drywall screws. Then, you’d want to go ahead and screw the drywall square onto the strips.
- Once that’s done, apply joint tape or joint compound around the edge. Make sure that you’re using increased pressure around the edges to feather the material.
- Allow the compound to dry and go ahead and apply a second coat if required.
- Once that’s done, go ahead and sand the area until it’s smooth, making sure to wipe away dust and paint around the area.
Best Drywall Patch Kits
This inexpensive drywall patch kit is perfect for small holes. Not only does it contain all of the tools that you need for a professional repair, but it also comes with numerous features that make it an excellent drywall patch kit. Upon your purchase, you’ll get a spackling compound, a self-adhesive patch, a putty knife along with a sanding pad. This drywall patch kit is ideal for repairing holes that are up to 3″ in diameter. Once you’re done, you also won’t have to worry about any shrinking or cracking. The spackling compound is also easy to sand, and the sanding pad will ensure that you’ve got a nice and smooth surface.
- Comes with all the tools you need
- No shrinking or cracking
- Easy to sand – thanks to the sanding pad that you’ll get with your purchase
- Can’t be used for structural joints or stress cracks
If you require something good for bigger holes, this particular drywall patch kit will do the trick. Not only will it quickly repair your drywall, but the convenient kit also comes with all the tools you need from the repair plate to a putty knife, compound, tape and a sanding sponge. Additionally, the repair plate also flexes and adheres behind the wall for professional repair.
With this kit, all you’ve got to do is insert, secure and fill, and you’re good to go. It’s also suitable for repairing damaged areas, and you won’t have to worry about shrinking, cracking or sagging. The spackling compound is also easy to sand, and you can customize the repair plate by cutting it to your desired size.
- Good for bigger holes
- Comes with all the tools required
- Repair plate flexes and adheres behind the wall
- Good for repairing damaged areas
- Some mentioned that the adhesion isn’t great
Looking for an effective wall mending agent? If so, you’d want to give this drywall patch kit a shot. Ingredients-wise, it’s made of synthetic resin and carbonate cover that’s free of formaldehyde and doesn’t contain any harmful ingredients. It’s also easy to use and will help with repairing damaged surfaces located both indoors and outdoors.
What’s great about this wall mending agent is that it dries within four hours, doesn’t break easily, and is both streak-free and waterproof. Compared to other spackles, it’s also smoother and resistant to various weather conditions. Upon your purchase, you’ll get a range of tools from nozzle extenders to rubber gloves, sandpaper and more. To use, all you’ve got to do is fill the holes, and you’re good to go.
- Easy to use
- Doesn’t contain any harmful ingredients
- Dries within four hours
- More suited to smaller patches
This drywall patch kit is made of high-quality self-adhesive fiberglass and aluminum and is a quick and easy solution to fill the holes in your walls. With every purchase, you’ll get a total of 10 self-adhesive patches to cover holes in your drywall.
To use it, all you’ve got to do is scrape away any loose residue around the hole before applying the patch and evenly applying spackle around the area. You can use it to cover holes in your home, office, factory and more. They also come in two different sizes of 4″ x4″ and 8×8″ depending on your needs.
- Made of high-quality material
- Quick and easy
- Can be used in a wide variety of interiors
- You’ll get ten patches with every purchase
- Some customers have mentioned that it’s difficult to cover
Lastly, we’ve got this drywall patch kit that’ll fix your drywall like the professionals do. It comes in various sizes to suit your needs and is designed for both the home and office. It’s an effective way to fix any hole in a drywall and comes with everything you need from supporting wooden boards to joint compound, sanding pad and more.
When you purchase this kit, you’ll also get a step-by-step guide that’ll teach you how to go about covering your holes with ease. If you’d like, you can also easily cut the drywall panel that’s provided to fit the hole that you’ve got at home. Have a larger drywall hole? No worries, just purchase multiple kits and panels and you’re good to go. This repair kit is also suited for ceilings and can also be used in bathrooms.
- Will fix your drywall like the professionals do
- Comes in various sizes
- You’ll get a step-by-step guide with your purchase
- Comes with everything you need
- Some have mentioned that the instructions were relatively basic
We hope that this article was helpful and you’ve managed to find a drywall patch kit from the options above. Patching your drywall doesn’t have to be a difficult or complicated process, all you’ve got to do is purchase the right kit, follow the steps, and you’re good to go. When you’re patching your drywall, remember also to make sure that you’ve got the right safety gear on for adequate protection.