Furniture doesn’t have to be expensive! Especially smaller pieces like accent tables or coffee tables. Using natural branches and other parts of trees have been on trend in the world of home decor lately. Which is great because you can make rustic decor for your home for next to nothing! This tree stump side table requires just a few materials that you may already have on hand, a set of casters and your time. So if you are looking for an inexpensive piece with a rustic feel then this project is definitely for you!
Tree Stump Side Table Supplies:
- tree trunk or large log (cut to size)
- 3 swivel casters, one with a lock
- sander, sanding block or sand paper
- clear polyurethane
- paint brush
1. Start by prepping the tree stump. Cut it down to size with a chainsaw if needed. Remove any excess bark as desired (the log we used was already naked as it had been attacked by ash bore prior to being cut down). Pick a stump that is the right shape, size and color for your space. Sand down the sides or edges as desired for your preferred aesthetic.
2. Once the log has been prepped to your liking (size, shape and surface), place a coat of clear polyurethane over the log for a smooth finish. Let dry.
3. Flip over the log, bottom side up and line up and mark where you would like your casters on the bottom of the log. Pre-drill holes for the casters if needed.
4. Screw the casters in place and your project is complete!
Find a little corner and pair up with a chair or place this piece by your bedside or sofa. Stage with a few accessories! The rings of wood on the top really attracts the eye so you may want to keep part of this visible as it is definitely an interesting part of this project! Keep in mind that this finished product may be heavy based on the density of your wood and how large your make the stump. The casters are great to easily move this piece around the house when rearranging your furniture or moving but could also be replaced with a set of small dowel legs if preferred.