When it comes to outdoor furniture, there are plenty of people that don’t even prioritize the color. Why would they? The most important thing for many is to choose durable and affordable sets that will last for as long as possible. The thing is this: if you don’t enjoy how your patio looks, you’ll be less likely to want to spend time outside, and isn’t this what it’s all about? Wanting to spend more time outdoors?
When it comes to choosing the color of your outdoor furniture, your options are limitless. However, in spite of all that variety, there are a few colors that get chosen time and time again. Black is one of them, and it’s chosen constantly for a good reason. Today, we are going to take a look at some of the best black patio furniture pieces, but not before we talk about what it takes to choose the outdoor furniture that suits you best.
Top 3 Picks
Best Overall: Enyeart 9 Piece Dining Set
Aside from seating up to 8 people and offering a super combination of black resin and eucalyptus wood frame, the Enyeart outdoor dining set includes a complete cleaning and maintenance kit, which is surely a plus.
Best for Small Spaces: Stilton 3 Piece Bistro Set
With comfortable chairs, a small bistro table, and a foldable design for easier storage, the Stilton furniture set is perfect for small patios and balconies.
Customer’s Choice: PHI VILLA Rectangular 6 – Person 38” Long Dining Set
“Great purchase- easy to put together, comfortable, wind won’t blow them over, looks super!” (Customer review)
What to Look For
Regardless of your color of choice, it’s important to know what to look for when you’re choosing outdoor furniture. Here is a list of tips that will help you select the best products for your needs:
- Pay close attention to the material, as some choices are more suitable for certain environments. Natural wood has a beautiful look to it, but it generally requires more maintenance compared to other materials. It has to be preserved and requires treatments for weather protection. You can opt for weather-resistant woods, such as cypress, cedar, or teak. Steel and wrought-iron are sturdy materials, but you’re going to have to throw in some cushions if you want to sit on them comfortably. They also need to be painted and treated using a weatherproof finish if you want to avoid rust. Rattan is another great choice, especially if it’s synthetic. It’s low maintenance and easy to clean, but it will require weather-proofing once in a few years. Plastic and PVC options are inexpensive and easy to care for, but they are also lightweight, meaning that the first strong wind can blow them away/knock them down.
- You want your outdoor furniture pieces to have a consistent finish. If the pieces are painted in black, they need to have a uniform finish. Wood furniture needs to be sanded and flawless. Wicker furniture shouldn’t unravel even in hidden spots.
- Pay attention to the joints. If you choose furniture that comes with welded metal joints, they need to be smooth. Metal furniture shouldn’t have any unpainted spots, and pieces with powder coating are more resistant to corrosion.
- Chairs should be flexible, but they shouldn’t wobble. Same thing goes for the table. If you mount all the pieces and you notice that there is too much flexibility, you might want to consider returning them and asking for a refund.
- Weather resistance is important. A lot of people wonder why outdoor furniture costs more compared to indoor pieces. That’s mostly because the furniture you use outdoors needs to be more resistant and has to be able to bear with nature’s elements, which can be ruthless. Always look for outdoor furniture pieces that are labeled as being weather-resistant.
Purchasing Tips Based on Materials
As we mentioned earlier, it’s really important to choose the material that suits the environment where the furniture is going to be used. However, the topic of outdoor furniture material is a little more complex than that, so we wanted to take a few minutes and give you a more comprehensive list of tips, based on the material that’s used to construct your future outdoor furniture.
Synthetic wicker trumps regular wicker in terms of durability and ease of care, so here are a few tips to help you choose the best wicker patio furniture:
- Choose HDPE and not PVC wicker. PVC wicker is usually less expensive and, therefore, more attractive to a lot of buyers, but it brittles when exposed to direct sunlight for too long, and it can’t withstand a lot of water and heat. HDPE, on the other hand, is non-porous and UV-treated. It’s lighter in weight compared to PVC (meaning furniture pieces are easier to move around) and completely fade-proof.
- Choose synthetic wicker pieces that have a heavy gauge aluminum frame, and not iron or steel frames.
- While maintenance is boiled down to a minimum, you still have to care for it a little bit if you want it to last for as long as possible. Caring for synthetic wicker furniture is as easy as wiping it clean with a damp cloth and dish soap.
At this moment, aluminum is the most common metal choice for outdoor furniture, but why is that? It’s because aluminum is lightweight, easy to maintain, and one of the most weather-resistant metals on the market. Even so, here are some extra things you should know about it in case you decide to opt for patio furniture that uses aluminum in its construction:
- Know the difference between cast aluminum and extruded aluminum. The former means it’s solid, the latter means it’s hollow. Extruded aluminum is lightweight but it’s likelier to bend and dent. Cast aluminum is a sturdier choice, but also a heavier one. Furniture made from cast aluminum is usually available in more intricate shapes and patterns. Keep that in mind while you’re shopping.
- It’s not difficult to care for aluminum furniture. It doesn’t rust, but it does tend to oxidize when it rests in an environment with a high salt content (those living in coastal areas will have to care for their outdoor aluminum furniture more often). Choose powder-coated aluminum if you want to mitigate these effects.
#3: Wrought Iron
Lastly, we wanted to say a few words about wrought iron, one of the oldest choices in terms of material for patio furniture pieces. Needless to say, it’s one of the most durable metals out there, but it can also be molded into a lot of interesting shapes. Before you buy, here are some things you should know about it:
- Wrought iron is not rust-proof by nature. That means maintenance is a little more complicated but, when cared for properly, this is a material that can literally outlive you. Before the rainy season starts, you need to use a damp non-abrasive towel to clean your wrought iron furniture pieces (also use dish soap) and then apply spray wax to seal it.
- You want wrought iron furniture if you live in windy areas. Not only is this a durable material, it’s also very heavy, meaning it would take more than just a windy storm to knock those furniture pieces over.
Best Black Patio Furniture For A Modern Outdoor Space
The Alshain set consists of 9 furniture pieces (8 chairs and one table) made from quality eucalyptus. While the wooden frame and the table have a nice cherry-like tone to them, the chair also has a metal outer frame that offers additional strength and holds the black fabric that makes up the seat and backrest.
While the entire ensemble is weather-resistant, the manufacturer recommends adding sealing once every 6 months to offer further protection to the wooden surface and prolong the lifespan of the product. The table comes with an umbrella hole in the middle (umbrella not included) and measures 30” H x 39” W x 88” L.
If you have a small patio or a balcony that you’d like to spruce up with some elegant black furniture, ain’t nothing like a bistro set to make every day seem like a beautiful morning in Paris. We’re talking about a 3-piece set that comes with a floral vintage designed embedded into a cast aluminum set with resistant powder coating. The table measures 26.5” H x 24.5” W x 24.5” L and comes with an umbrella hole for those that want to hide underneath the shade. The chairs have anti-slip rubber legs that can be adjusted. The curved backrest is there to add more comfort, while the floral pattern looks simply astonishing.
The PHI VILLA outdoor patio set is one of the most beautiful and practical products on today’s list. It comes with one rectangular table and six swivel chairs made from powder-coated steel. The chairs have a 360-degree swivel feature so you can stand up and sit down without having to move the chair around. Each of the chairs supports up to 300 pounds in weight, comes with 2.7-inch cushions for added padding to the seat area, and is made from e-coating steel tubes. The 28” H x 37.8” W x 60” L table comes with an umbrella hole in the middle, just in case you’re not going with a cantilever.
Here is another bistro set that’s perfect for small balconies and patios. It consists of two metal chairs and a table that showcase the beauty of steel combined with breathable fabric seating and backrests, perfect for hot summer days. The table measures 27.5” H x 23.5” W x 23.5” L and features a beautiful glass top that’s super-easy to clean. Each of the two chairs included in the set can support a total weight of 300 pounds. They are also foldable, which helps save up space or move the chair around with ease whenever you need to do so.
This gorgeous 5-piece dining set is perfect for a patio that needs that extra touch of black to create an elegant and practical space that you can enjoy together with family and friends. The set includes one square-shaped table that measures 35.25” W x 35.25” L that comes with an umbrella hole with 1.75 inches in diameter.
The four chairs included in the set can support up to 300 pounds in weight, which is expected considering the fact they are constructed from sturdy metal. If you’re not sure about the black finish, there are multiple other color options to choose from, including gold and coral.
The Ayleen patio dining set combines the sturdiness of metal with the elegant of intricate floral and swirl details that are bound to draw attention. Made from cast aluminum, the set consists of six chairs plus one table, all of them being weather-resistant and capable of withstanding the elements for a long time to come. The table measures 28.5” H x 42” W x 72” L and comes with a center umbrella hole for adding shade that makes summer days a lot more bearable. The chairs have a weight capacity of 250 pounds each.
Made from aluminum and plastic, we give you a more traditional outdoor sitting option, one that could help you host a quick picnic in your backyard. This particular set consists of one table that measures 30” H x 36” W x 59” L and two benches that can support up to 675 pounds in weight. It is a set that works pretty well with alfresco setup, but keep in mind that the benches don’t have a backrest, meaning that it’s not comfortable to use these for too many hours at a time.
Whenever you want to create a bar-like outdoor setup, sets like the Jarmericus are here to serve you well. This is basically a 7-piece set that comes with one table and 6 stools, all available in bar height so you can serve your drinks just as if you were at a beach bar on some sunny shores. This rattan furniture set measures 28.3” H x 14.2” W x 14.2” D per chair, with the table alone measuring 41.7” H x 28.7” W x 59.1” L. Each of the chairs can support up to 350 pounds in weight, while the table comes with a glass top that makes it easy to clean.
We’re down to our last two black patio furniture sets, and we wanted to show you one of our most favorites. Here we have a steel furniture set that consists of 4 chairs and a table, all made to be elegant and comfortable. The C-spring motion of these chairs will surely leave you rocking back and forth on these highly comfortable and cushioned chairs that can support up to 300 pounds in weight. The table measures 28” H x 37” W x 37” L and has a square shape that offers plenty of legroom for everyone seated at the table. The cushions are waterproof and the table comes with an umbrella hole in the middle.
Because we wanted to finish this list with a bang, we’ve added a fancier, yet exceptional outdoor furniture set available in a combination of black and natural wood brown. This is a set that comes with 8 chairs made with resin seating and backrest, plus a eucalyptus frame. Each chair can support up to 250 pounds in weight and has a curved design to make seating more comfortable.
The table measures 33” H x 23” W x 24” D and comfortably seats 8 people for everything from dinner to a friendly chit-chat. It’s important to note that the set also comes with a maintenance kit that includes a wood sealer oil, a cotton cloth, a paint brush, some emery paper, gloves, and brush.
What is the best color for outdoor furniture?
It really depends on what you’re going for with your outdoor look. Black is something you can’t go wrong with, as it serves as both a choice for elegant setups, as well as more traditional, industrial, or rustic ones. When you choose black metal furniture, it’s quite easy to pair it with almost anything. Bronze is another suitable option with three important qualities: neutral, dark, dramatic. It works really well with garden greens and wood finishes.
What type of outdoor furniture is the most durable?
There are plenty of durable options to consider and it really depends on what you want your outdoor setup to look like. If you have your heart set on wood, teak is one of the most resistant choices on the market. If you want to go for metal, stainless steel and aluminum are the most durable options. Synthetic resin furniture can also last a long time if you care for it properly.
Where can I buy inexpensive patio furniture?
There are a ton of online and brick-and-mortar stores that sell inexpensive patio furniture. If you’re interested in the online part, we recommend going for websites such as Wayfair, Amazon, Overstock, Home Depot, or West Elm.
Where is the best place to buy patio furniture?
A lot of people choose to buy their patio furniture from the manufacturer’s official website. However, third-party sellers (such as Wayfair or Amazon) will offer a wider selection of furniture pieces and sets from multiple manufacturers, making it easier for you to find the style you’re looking for or at least get a better idea of what it is you like.
The variety of choices for all those of you looking to buy black patio furniture can be a little overwhelming but it’s always so pleasing to see that we have so many different products to choose from, matching all possible styles and tastes. It’s important to note that different materials offer different benefits and a few drawbacks, so carefully look into the advantages of limitations of these materials before you commit to making a purchase.