A bean bag is the type of product that children will absolutely love. Can you imagine having a colorful piece of furniture that they can mold to their desire and carry around from one room to another?
Just considering the fact that these chairs are filled with tiny beads will fascinate your children beyond words. And, if you’re looking for some quality bean bag chairs for kids, we have some product suggestions that you’ll surely make use of one way or another.
Pixel Gamer Bean Bag – Mod design makes this chair a great fit in game rooms, home theaters, and dorms
Denim Saxx 4’ Bean Bag Chair – Pleasantly molds to your form while you chill out
Juju Bean Bag Lounger & Ottoman –Draped vinyl chair for stylish lounging.
How to Choose a Bean Bag Chair for Your Kid
Choosing a bean bag for your child can turn out to be more complicated than choosing one for yourself because we often care more about the quality of the products that our children use more than we care about our own. With safety in mind, it’s important to pick products that our children can be around, so let’s take a look at some of the features to look out for:
- One of the most important things when buying stuff for our little ones is knowing that they are safe to use. Children are always out and about exploring the world, so putting different objects in their mouth comes pretty naturally. You don’t want them choking on anything, and bean bag filling does represent a choking hazard if exposed in the hands of a two year-old. That means that you want to invest only in quality bean bags, with strong seams and protective layers that stand between the child and the fill. Also, inspect the bean bags daily to check for torn parts.
- The material that’s used to make the cover of a bean bag for children should be easy to clean. Spilling seems to be some sort of a sport for the little humans, so if you find yourself scrubbing faux fur covers on a weekly basis, you’ll pretty much end up wanting to throw the chair out. So with something like leather or faux leather, even outdoor fabrics that are water-resistant and easy to clean.
- Make sure you pick a chair that’s of an appropriate size. When you pick a bean bag chair that’s too large, your child might find it uncomfortable to sit on it or even stand up. There are plenty of bean bags out there that have sizes appropriate for children, so take a look into those models.
Materials to Consider
The cover of the bean bag you want to buy is going to determine a lot of things about the product in question, from how easy or difficult it is to clean, to how cheap or expensive the product is going to be. Let’s take a look at the main materials that are used to make bean bag covers:
- Cotton is one of the most common fabrics used in the clothing and bedding industry, but did you know that you can also find bean bags made with cotton covers? Cotton is preferred to other fabrics because of its price-to-quality ratio. It’s quite affordable, breathable, and feels very soft against the skin. This makes it one of the top cover choices for kid’s bean bag chairs. However, unless the cover can be unzipped and cleaned in the washing machine, it’s going to be a hassle to remove stains, as the fabric isn’t stain-resistant, absorbs moisture pretty well (and that includes apple juice spills), and takes a long time to dry.
- Leather is a pretty common material in the furniture industry, especially for making couches and armchairs. Today, leather is also used to make bean bags, and some pretty quality ones, might I add. Even if it tends to be more expensive, leather is resilient and very easy to clean, so if you’re willing to spare some extra money and invest in a higher quality bean bag, leather is a good choice.
- Faux leather bean bag chairs are basically the cheap alternative to leather models. This artificial leather is made from polyurethane or PVC, which makes it waterproof and flexible. However, it doesn’t have the same durability as genuine leather, so you pretty much get what you pay for. Might still be a worthy purchase if you’re sure your child will grow out of the bean bag-loving phase before the chair gets torn apart.
- Microsuede is another highly common fabric used to make bean bag chair covers, and there are plenty of benefits to choosing one. It has a unique feel to it and is available in a wide variety of colors. The fabric can be described as a type of leather that comes with a fuzzy finish, which makes it soft to the touch and comfortable to use. Microsuede is a fabric that’s difficult to clean, so you might want to think twice before buying a microsuede bean bag chair for your child.
- Polyester chairs are one of the best investments because they are inexpensive, easy to clean, and quite durable. Granted, they are not the most eco-friendly option on the market, but they tend to be water-resistant and available in a bunch of different colors. Plus, if you suspect your child won’t be that careful around their bean-bag chair, a budget-friendly option such as polyester might be the right choice.
Bean Bag Chairs & Child Safety
Of course that buying a bean bag chair needs to take into consideration aspects such as budget, cover material, inner fill quality, durability, and others, but since we’re talking about a product used by your children, we’re pretty sure that nothing is more important than safety. So, we thought that the wisest thing to do is talk a little bit about bean bag chair safety:
- Since one of the greatest hazards when it comes to children and bean bags is having them choke on the pellets and beads that make up the fill. In order to prevent this from happening, quality products come with interior liners that hold the fill, plus childproof zippers with safety locks, so that the little ones can’t gain access to the fill all that easy.
- It is also important that you only let your children sit on a bean bag when they are old enough to support their own weight and move around. If you put a baby on a bean bag chair, they will sink into the surface too deep, and they might even turn around facing the chair and end up suffocating because they can’t rely on their own strength to get back into position.
- Those of you that live in the US might have already heard about the Consumer Product Safety Commission, which is the one responsible with regulating flammability for different types of fabric. This institution varies from country to country, but it surely exists in yours too, whatever it’s called. However, it is the duty of the consumer to make sure that there is no open fire around the bean bag chair. You can do this by opting for chairs that are made from less flammable materials. Two such examples are chairs that have polyester and nylon fabrics. Instead of bursting into flames, these materials will melt under extreme temperatures, shrinking due to the heat. Fabrics of lower density are more likely to catch on fire. The filling of a bean bag chair for kids should also be checked for fire safety. Expanded polystyrene (which is EPS for short) is pretty safe, since it takes more than 200° C to burn it.
Top 10 Bean Bag Chairs for Kids
The gamer chair isn’t just for gamers, but for pretty much any kid that would enjoy sitting on one of these and doing other activities. The advantage of sitting on this chair while gaming at your console is that you have a comfortable position as this is low to the ground compared to the height of a normal gaming chair (measurements are 36 x 30 x 28 inches, and 14 inches in seat height).
The chair is made from vinyl and denim, which makes it both look cool and comfortable to sit on. The interior is filled with polystyrene beads, which conform to the body, offering a pleasurable experience whenever used. While the cover of the chair is fully removable, it is not machine washable, so you can only clean it using soap or mild detergent and water.
Denim is a fabric that will never go out of style, and all kids and teens will love it, which is why we included this product on our list for the day. It is basically an over-sized denim bag that measures 36 x 36 x 20 inches and weighs a total of 20 pounds. It is elegant not just because of the choice of fabric, but also thanks to the exposed stitching that gives it a rugged premium feel.
The denim cover can be removed and washed in the washing machine, which is a cool feature to have especially in a chair that will mostly be used by kids (who we love, but their greasy little fingers have a tendency to touch everything in sight. The cover also has a collectors edition leather patch stitched to it, adding some extra class to the product.
The Juju is an adorable piece of furniture and something that you definitely want to see your kids sitting one, especially because of the four cute color options that are available. This is a 2-in-1 type of product as the ottoman is also included in the pack, which actually created a setup perfect for children to relax, maybe as they color or when they read their favorite book.
The chair itself measures 26 x 18 x 19.5 inches with 9 inches seat height, while the Leo ottoman measures 13 x 18 x 10 inches. The cover is made from some pretty resistant vinyl which we think is a sweet choice because you can just wipe it clean when needed. That extends the durability of the product because, as you know, stuff doesn’t always last long in the hands of children.
Kids are supposed to get their daily dose of vitamin D (just like adults, for that matter), which is why if you have a yard, you should definitely have an outdoor bean bag for children. This fellow right here measures 28.5 x 24.5 x 20 inches and it is the perfect size for children to lay back and enjoy some time outside (wearing SPF, obviously).
The cover of the chair is made from furniture-grade Sunbrella® fabric which is a pretty common choice for almost every Jaxx outdoor bean bag chair for children and adults. That means that you can completely remove the cover and clean it inside the washing machine. The cover is also water and UV-resistant, so it won’t fade anytime soon.
We’ve added another gaming bean bag chair to the list because you know that this activity is a weakness for most children, and while we don’t encourage every day gaming for hours on end, we do encourage buying products that are safe and comfortable for your kids. This gem right here is made from denim on the sides and upholstery-grade spandex in the center.
While the cover looks and feels extremely good, you can only spot clean it, which might be a hassle for some parents, so we do recommend this chair for kids that are actually a bit older and are more aware about caring for their stuff. The chair measures 37 x 28 x 24 inches and has a seat height of 11.75 inches.
The Pivot bean bag is a product that’s focused on comfort above everything else. We love the fact that it comes with a brushed cotton cover that’s soft and breathable and out-of-this-world comfortable, but considering the fact that cotton is not a stain-resistant fabric, some parents might not want this to fall in the hands of their children. Rest assured that the cover is removable and machine washable, but you’ll have to do so in due time, while the stains can still be removed.
It’s a 47 x 61 x 39-inch bean bag that’s filled with high-density foam micro-cushions. The benefit of this type of fill is that it does a really good job of conforming to the shape of the child’s body, but it also makes the chair quite flexible. Overall, this is a supportive and extremely comfortable cotton bean bag that can be used by children and teens.
With six amazing color options and a soft and smooth microsuede cover, the Cocoon bean bag for kids is a product that even adults would love to use. It measures 45 x 45 x 16 inches, so there might be some petite adults that would sit on it quite comfortable. This particular bean bag chair takes pride in its flexibility, as it can easily be molded to a chair with back support, but it can also be laid flat to act as a pillow. Even more, since the chair has a morphable style, there are certain positions in which it can actually hold two children, not just one.
The soft microsuede cover is completely removable and washable, but you can also opt for a version of this bean bag chair that comes with a denim cover. Inside the chair lies a multitude of shredded ecofoam bits that support the body of your child in different positions.
You have to love this microsuede pillow, even if it’s just for those amazing six color options that make it so difficult to choose only one of them. It is a bean bag pillow that measures 34 x 44 x 13 inches and, unlike some of the other bean bags we’ve shown you in this list, this one weighs 10 pounds and it’s relatively easy to carry around the house in case your children want to move from one room to another.
While this product is made particularly with a microsuede cover, you can also choose one with a premium faux suede or a polyester cover (there are different product pages for that). The cover can be removed and cleaned in the washing machine. The inside of the bean bag is filled with shredded ecofoam which is excellent at contouring and providing a comfortable and clean place for your kids to lounge on.
Are you in need of an ottoman that your children can either use as a standalone product or that you maybe want to pair with the Nimbus bean bag chair (which is sold separately)? Then you have this baby right here, available in four beautiful colors and with a construction that can withstand the wrath of intense child use.
The ottoman measures 18 x 18 inches, so it’s quite smaller compared to some of the other ottomans you might be used to seeing. It is made with polyester spandex material in the cover, which makes it easy to spot clean it whenever it gets dirty or something is spilled on it. The zipped that conceals the fill is 100% childproof, while the fill itself is made from a bunch of polystyrene beads that provide good contouring and a decent level of support.
We will always encourage children and adults to spend more time outside because being outdoors has so many benefits for one’s body and mind, there just is no good substitute for it. And if a comfortable outdoor bean bag is going to get your kids to do more activities outdoors, then the Juniper chair might be a good product to buy.
With a resistant construction and features that stay true to the Jaxx benchmark of quality that we’re used to by now, this chair measures 21 x 25.5 x 18.5 inches and it’s the perfect addition to your outdoor furniture collection. It is made with all-weather coated acrylic fabric that can withstand water and UV rays. The cover is removable and machine-washable.
How To Decorate With Ban Bag Chairs
Basement Theater Room
Walker Home Design has a suggestion that we fell in love with. What if you turned your basement into a theater room for your kids or for the whole family? With a big TV, some bean bag chairs suitable for different ages, and a matching wallpaper to go along with the scenery, you can have a theater room ready without having to spend a fortune.
Eclectic Kids Room
This eclectic kids room setup comes from Stone Creek Builders, showing you how playful a geometric-rich room design can be. Even if the walls are white, the carpet, shapes, and colors chosen for the furniture and bean bag chairs make this an extremely detail-rich setup that’s inviting for children of all ages to play in.
Blue-Themed Kids Room
Leighton Design Group is here to suggest a stunning room made up of white and different shades or light and navy blue. The bean bag chairs offer seating in front of a concealed TV, with the furry rug adding to the comfort and coziness of the entire setup.
Transitional Pink Room
Upland Development, Inc. is here to show you how you can make the most of your space if you have an irregular-shaped room that you want to turn into a haven for your children. With predominant shades of pink that ground the whiteness of the surrounding walls, this has to be one of our favorite setups because it separates the sleeping area from the play area.
Cozy Lounging Area
Creating a lounge space for your children is pretty easy with a couple of comfortable bean bag chairs in a color cover that matches the style and theme of the room. Here you can see how the blue chairs with white seating blend in perfectly in the beige room with white walls and a blue carpet.
DIY Bean Bag Chair Ideas
Sew a Kids Bean Bag Chair in 30 Minutes
This tutorial by Project Nursery is going to teach you how to sew a bean bag chair for your little one in 30 minutes. All you need is the upholstery of your choice (the tutorial uses weight fabric), a zipper, and some bean bag fill. The steps are highlighted with pictures that show the progress, so there’s no way you can go wrong with this.
Giant Bean Bag Chair Tutorial
So Much to Make’s blog will show how making a large bean bag chair is way more affordable than buying one that could cost up to $300 if you choose a high-quality product. Seeing this project through is going to require some fabric (all the measurements and details are given in the tutorial), a zipper, and shredded foam fill. The pictures are going to guide you through the process, so you shouldn’t have a problem with making this chair all by yourself.
Super Simple DIY Kids Bean Bag Chair
Your number one source for all things home improvement is back at it, this time with a tutorial that’s going to teach you how easy it is to make a bean bag chair for your little one. If text isn’t enough, the article provides both image and video support, so there’s literally a tutorial for every type of reader.
Filling Types to Choose From
The filling of a bean bag chair will give the chair further attributes that might help you determine which model is best suited for your child. Here are the most common types of filling you’ll encounter:
- Expanded polystyrene beads – This is one of the most common types of filling you’ll see in bean bags. This man-made type of plastic looks very much like styrofoam, resulting in rigid beans that can shape to the contour of your body. They are comfortable to use for people of most body types, so children are bound to find comfort in them as well. Their structure makes them suitable for hot and humid environments. Since they have 98 percent air content, the chairs filled with these beans won’t be that heavy, so it’s easy for your little one to drag the chair around the house if they want to. The downside is that these beads aren’t biodegradable, but you can recycle them for other purposes.
- Expanded polypropylene beads – This option represents a type of thermoplastic polymer that results from high-temperature material heating to reach the desired shape. EPP beads tend to be very durable and resilient because, once they cool off, their shape is permanently locked. These beads don’t have any off-gassing, so the chances of your little one feeling nausea because of the smell is non-existent. Even if they don’t lose volume as much as other types of fill, they tend to be volatile, so you need to be really careful with any open flames around them. Also, try to avoid exposing them to air very often because they might love their shape.
- Shredded compressed foam – Bean bag chairs made with this type of fill tend to be very comfortable, as they have the same material as certain pillow models. When first unpacking it, note that it might take a little while for the fill to return to its original shape, so be patient. If the lining of the shredded foam bean bag chair is thin, it might end up being uncomfortable because the foam bits have irregular cuts and shapes.
- Microbeads – Made from plastic, these small beads are often found in neck and travel pillows. While they aren’t that good for large bean bag chairs, they are beneficial for smaller ones. They have a smooth texture but are considered an environmental risk, so there are chances they’ve been banned in your area.
- Natural filling – There is always the option to turn to natural filling, which consists mostly of some type of dried grains. Some people will choose this fill because it’s eco-friendly, but the filling tends to be quite hard and uncomfortable, so the lining plays a huge part in determining the comfort of these bean bag chairs. You can also find comfortable options for kids, like outdoor bean bag chairs filled with sand.
Are bean bags safe for toddlers?
Provided that they are only used as a chair, bean bags can be safe for toddlers. However, knowing that your child’s safety is your number one priority, we advise you to check the bean bags daily to make sure there are no rips or tears in the cover that could spill the bean content all over the place and have your child potentially swallow them.
Why are bean bag chairs so expensive?
There are different factors that determine the price of bean bag chairs, such as the quality of the cover, how many protective layers it has for the fill, and if the bean bag in question is a limited edition product (since it costs less to produce larger volumes, making a limited number of chairs increases the price per product). You can find cheap bean bags too, not to worry.
Does Wayfair sell bean bag chairs?
Yes. As a matter of fact, Wayfair is one of the best websites to start looking for bean bags, as they have a lot of models available in different sizes and at really good prices too!
Getting the right bean bag chair for your child is a process that the little ones can contribute to, because if you let them choose the color themselves, they will be twice as happy and excited to actually use the chair. With that in mind, you need a bean bag chair that’s durable, easy to clean (either by wiping it clean or removing the cover and washing it), but also safe around children (having a childproof zipper that conceals the fill always helps).