I will start by saying I’m not the most organized person on Earth when it comes to my coffee table area. In fact, I am the worst when it comes to being tidy with magazines, remote controls, books, blankets, glasses and other handy little things. I mean – they should be within reach when we have those 10 precious minutes to relax, right?
If you would enter my living room right now, you would see all of the items I mentioned in the middle of the sofa, where I usually leave them. Chaos!
My coffee table doesn’t have a drawer, so I had to figure out a different way to make this mess disappear. And guess what I came up with? A DIY under-sofa storage tray on wheels. If you need a similar solution to being more organized at home, this one is great. I have tested it and I can guarantee you won’t regret the small investment of time in creating this piece.
Here’s what you will need to complete this project:
- rectangular wood piece for the base
- wood strips or trim to fit the sides of your rectangular base
- nails and a hammer
- 4 small wheels
- very heavy duty glue
- painter’s tape (optional)
- white spray paint (optional)
Here’s what you need to do:
Before starting this project, measure how much space you have between the sofa and the floor. You have to confirm that your drawer will fit underneath once the wheels are attached to the tray.
1. Make sure that the wooden pieces are well sanded and don’t have any splinters. Once they are smooth and clean, you can start building your under-sofa drawer.
2. Using nails and a hammer, attach all four borders to your wooden base.
3. Turn the base upside down. Mark and measure where you will attach the wheels in each corner, making sure that they are placed an equal distance from each side. Attach the four wheels to the bottom using heavy duty glue. Wait a few hours for the glue to dry completely.
4. I decorated the surface of the storage drawer by painting half of it with white paint. For me, it looks more interesting this way, however this step is optional.
It’s ready! Now I can place all the small items inside the drawer, and simply slide it under the sofa, keeping the area organized and tidy. I hope you like this idea!