It’s not a secret that the pom-poms make the world go round, especially the DIY side of it. If you don’t know by now, I’m slightly obsessed with their texture, playful shape and softness, to the extent that if I could, I would attach it to every possible thing or living being at home (including my boyfriend and our dog). The only reason why I don’t, is a risk of becoming instantly homeless (together with all my pom poms!). Pssst: Think twice before moving in with a guy.
After crushing on the blankets, finished with the fluffy balls, seen around the internet, I knew I had to attempt to DIY one and when would be a better time than the winter season? Just imagine – long, cold winter evenings, spent on the sofa wrapped up in your new soft cover, drinking mulled wine and reading a book. Sounds like a perfect plan to me.If you’ve never made pom poms yourself, you will be surprised how easy it is, using this simple method. Have a look!
You will need:
- yarn in the color matching your blanket / cover
- thread and niddle
And here are two simple techniques to make fluffy balls yourself:
How to Make Pom-poms:
1. We will start by cutting out the 2 circular shapes, you see in the picture below – the size of the circle will determine the size of the pom pom so make sure to decide before how big you want them to be.
2. Place 2 cardboard circles in front of you.
3. Cut a yarn string of about 10-15 cm, and place it in the center of one of the circles.
4. Place the second circle on top of the first one, making sure, the yarn is hanging from both sides.
5. Take yarn and start wrapping it around the cardboard circles, making sure it’s wrapped evenly. Keep an eye on the two sides of the string, we placed in the middle so that they don’t get lost.
6. Once you’ve wrapped a fair amount of yarn around the circles, cut it out.
7. Take two ends which we placed in the middle of the circles and tie them. (Tie only one knot at this point)
8. Hold the circles together and start cutting the yarn at the edges of the cardboard.
9. At this point, you can tighten up the center of the pom pom by making a second knot.
10. Remove the cardboard circles and trim your pom pom.
How to Make a Tassel Out of Yarn:
1. Wrap the yarn tightly around 3-4 fingers (depending on how large you want your tassels to be). The more yarn you use, the fluffier your tassels will be.
2. Pull the yarn through your fingers.
3. Tie a strong knot at the top of the yarn.
4. Take your scissors and cut all of the “loops” around your yarn.
Attach to the blanket:
Using niddle and thread, sew pom poms and tassels to the edge of your blanket, leaving about 5-10cm distance between them.
Doesn’t it look amazing? Now that you know how to make pom poms, you might want to turn everything into fluffy decorations, but please mind the people you are living with first!