Paint is a simple and affordable way to give some added personality to your home decor pieces. I love how easily you can use paint to re-create more expensive designs or to transform a piece with just a touch of extra color. Today I’m sharing how I customized our concrete coasters using spray paint and protective spray. I love the look of plain concrete and actually have some plain concrete coasters in another room, but I wanted to paint a few coasters to accent our bedroom decor. I used metallic paint because I love the contrast of a metallic or high-gloss paint on concrete. Read on for the full tutorial!
- Concrete coasters
- Painters tape
- Assorted spray paints
- Acrylic spray sealer
1. Decide what design you’d like to paint on each coaster. You’ll use painter’s tape to create the designs. I used a pencil and paper to sketch out my designs before taping. This might sound silly, but remember that when you’re applying your tape, the area that is taped over will remain plain concrete. I know that sounds like common sense, but it’s easy to forget and let your eye trick you into thinking the opposite since the tape is colored.
2. Tape your designs onto the coasters. Since I only had one width of painters tape, I used scissors to cut thinner pieces. Using a variety of sizes will give your designs more dimension. You can tape them in any direction you want and you don’t have to be an artist to get a good design; the process is pretty forgiving!
3. After you’ve ensured your designs are taped securely in place, select the spray paint colors you want to use for each coaster. I chose to use a combination of white, metallic gold, and a very dark metallic brown, almost black.
4. Carefully paint your coaster according to your spray paint’s instructions. Also make sure to spray outdoors or in a well-ventilated area. I needed two coats of paint, but you might need more or fewer coats depending on the brand of paint you use. I’d originally wanted to use acrylic craft paint for this project, but spray paint covers so quickly and easily, and it dries fast, too.
After the paint has dried, peel off the painter’s tape to reveal your design.
5. You can now give each coaster a coat or two of acrylic spray sealer for extra protection. You can find acrylic spray sealer at almost any craft store. Once the acrylic spray dries, you can begin enjoying your new coasters!
I love they way they look on the cabinet in our bedroom, and they provide just enough extra color without being too much. Good luck with yours!