Often the most beautiful art is crafted from simple or everyday objects, and I think that’s what makes these brass and wood wall hangings so special. They’re made from a handful of simple materials and their clever design adds texture, geometry and visual interest to a gallery wall or even a visually quiet corner.
Materials you’ll need for this wooden beads and brass wall hanging:
- One 6″ gold metal hoop
- Two 3″ gold metal hoops
- Six 3/4″ unfinished wood beads
- Waxed string in color black (typically used in leather crafts)
- Two 1/4″ gold jump rings (typically used in jewelry making)
- Masking Tape
How to make a modern wall hanging:
1. Overlap one of the small gold hoops to the large gold hoop so they overlap about 1/2″ and tape the two hoops together with masking tape at the intersections. The masking tape won’t be pretty, but it’s necessary to hold the hoops in place while you tie them together. Remember the tape is only temporary!
2. Tie the waxed thread onto the smaller gold hoop. Double knot in place. Cut a 20″ piece of waxed thread from the spool.
3. Basically, we’ll work from the bottom of the wall hanging up to the top, so start by running the waxed thread straight up to wrap around the bottom of the large hoop. Then continue on to the top of the small hoop and wrap around once. Pull taught.
4. Then tie a jump ring onto the waxed thread about 1-1/4″ above the top of the small hoop. Double knot. This is what the wooden beads will rest on.
5. Slide 5 wood beads onto the waxed thread.
6. Cap off the wood beads by tying another jump ring at the top.
7. Tape the second small hoop onto the top of the large hoop in the same fashion as in Step 1.
8. Continue working your way to the top of the hoops with the wax string by wrapping it around the bottom of the small hoop, followed by the top of the large hoop, and then finally tie the waxed string to the top of the small hoop.
9. Measure about 15″ of waxed string (above where you just tied your last knot on the small hoop), and fold the waxed string back on itself. Slide the last wood bead on the loop and then double knot the waxed string around the wood bead. Trim the leftover waxed string.
10. Trim the waxed string tail at the bottom of the hanging as well. Carefully remove the masking tape from the metal hoops and hang!