Spruce up your space for Valentine’s Day with a simple and crafty hand stamped envelope pillow. Have fun with pink, red, and white combinations to create a couple pillows in various sizes or stick to just one small accent pillow as to not over do it. This project is great to do with kids or the novice DIYer. And these pillows can be used in just about any room of the house!
- Solid fabric
- Ironing board
- Sewing machine
- Sewing scissors
- Straight edge with measure
- Red and white fabric paint
- Paint brush
1. Start by ironing your fabric to get out any folds and wrinkles on your ironing board. This will make it easier to stamp and sew in the later steps.
2. Next measure your pillow (ours here is 8″ x 8″) and cut a piece of fabric two and a half times the length and 2″ greater than the width (for seam allowance).
3. Cut your potato in half and carve out a heart on one side. Carve out enough to let your heart really stand out when ink is applied so that ink doesn’t get on the outer edges of the potato.
4. On your paint pallet, place a large amount of white paint and add just a small drop of red paint to mix up a light pink color.
5. Use your stamp to stamp pink hearts sporadically around your fabric. You may want to slip newspaper or a towel beneath your fabric prior to stamping as depending on the thickness of your fabric it may leak through. Let dry for at least a couple hours or until completely dry to touch.
6. Fold the fabric around the pillow right side towards the pillow to mark out your seams for an envelope pillow case.
7. Pin the open sides of the case in place.
8. Sew down the sides of the seams.
9. Cut off the corners of the interior seams and turn right side out. Place your pillow in the case, give a little fluff and display for the holiday!