How To Choose The Best Standing Desk for Your Work Space
Most people prefer to study, read or write while standing or sitting on a high stool. With the right standing desk, you tend to achieve more or get more work done in less time compared to a sitting desk. A standing desk is a great way of exercising and burning fat, also it helps in preventing heart disease, backache, and neck pain.
The standing desk is durable and has a large working area to accommodate one large computer or more, enabling you to carry out different work at the same time. If you are considering buying one then this information should help you in selecting the best desk.
How to choose the best standing desk
- Look for a height-adjustable desk, which can allow you readjust to suit your needs, that is, when reading, writing, typing or more.
- Check the height of the desk, so as to get the one the fits your height in order to stay healthy and avoid health challenge.
- Consider the width and depth of the desk. The best depth of a desk should be from thirty depth and above so as to prevent the straining of the eyes.
- Weight is one important factor to consider when buying a standing desk. You will want to get a heavier desk if you are using heavy computers and vice versa.
- A desk that has a keyboard tray makes your desk looks spacious and neat and also providing enough workspace.
Advantages of a standing desk
- It helps reduce backache which is mostly caused by sitting all day.
- It reduces your chances of having heart-related problems in which seating is believed to have a major role in causing heart disease.
- Lessens weight gain. Standing and working helps you burn calories and reduce your chances of getting fat or obese.
- It is a great way of reducing blood sugar. When you stand and work, you burn out blood sugar by an average of 11.1% which is a great way of staying safe from diabetes.
- It reduces boredom by keeping you bright and enhancing your mood.
- It helps you achieve more work in a short time which means it makes you more efficient.
- It increases your lifespan, posture and body strength.
Disadvantages of a standing desk
- Your feet or legs tend to feel sore and it takes a longer period of time for your body to adjust.
- A standing desk means no more privacy when it comes to lunch, or having a bad day.
- It increases fatigue and keeps you looking stress when working for long hours.
What to look for in a standing desk
- The size of the desk is very significant because it helps you know the type of desk to buy. You will not like to get a larger desk when you have limited space.
- How strong are the desk and the materials its made of? How long is it made to last? This question can be answered by others’ reviews and product descriptions.
- Choose a multi-tiers desk in order to have more space to keep your laptops, papers and other tools.
- Chose a desk that can be easily assembled or comes already assembled in order to prevent damaging of the desk.
The Best Standing Desk Design Ideas
Invigo Height Adjustable Standing Desk
With adjustable height, a beautiful design, and a construction that’s made to last, the Invigo standing desk is one of the best products of its kind. It is equipped with a dual motor that can operate even at higher loads. The solid wood used in its construction is coated with smooth varnish to make sure that material is protected and ready to be used for years. Aside from the adjustable height features, you can also enjoy built-in outlets, a drawer, and a programmable memory controller.
Fairfield Chair Height Adjustable Standing Desk
Another product that we fell in love with is this one. It is an adjustable height desk that can be positioned at 26.5 inches to 51.5 inches from the ground, offering plenty of flexibility in terms of the height of people that can use it comfortably. It has a button-press digital control and comes with four programmable memory buttons that will help you reach one of four preferred settings with a single press. Made from guanacaste wood, this solid adjustable desk is durable just as it is beautiful.
Wildermuth Electric Height Adjustable Standing Desk
For those of you looking to fill up an empty room corner, the Wildermuth adjustable desk is just the right companion. It is certainly a more cost-effective solution compared to certain desks that are made with solid and expensive roof varieties. This desk is made with manufactured wood standing on top of a metal base. These two materials together can support about 450 pounds in weight. It comes with a programmable memory controller and can be adjusted from 24 to 51 inches in height.
Infinity Height Adjustable Trapezoid Standing Desk Converter
With the push of a button, you can adjust the height of the Infinity desk so that you can switch from sitting to standing in a matter of seconds. This computer table is equipped with a keyboard lift, making the entire product more ergonomic compared to some of the other options we’ve looked at today. Made from metal, the desk has a weight capacity of 500 pounds and comes with an electric motor to make the proper adjustments.
Steelcase Height Adjustable Standing Desk
Another premium product as far as adjustable desks are concerned is the Airtouch. The work surface uses a mechanism that allows the desk to be raised or lowered smoothly, using uniform motion that won’t move a thing on your desk while height adjustments are being made. Since it doesn’t use any electrical components, you are not restricted or limited to the proximity to a power outlet, which makes this desk suitable for every location imaginable. It’s made from a combination of metal and manufactured wood, and it can support up to 150 pounds in weight.
Hassett Height Adjustable Standing Desk Converter
If you want to stand behind your desk but you love it too much and don’t want to change it for an adjustable height model, you can always use a desk converter for your laptop, such as this one right here. It is a product that doesn’t require any assembly and it’s designed to act as a platform that can be raised or lowered and can hold your laptop while you work. It’s made from metal and can be adjusted with ease. And, the best part is, you can store it away almost anywhere, since it doesn’t occupy a lot of space.
Inbox Zero Height Adjustable Standing Gaming Desk
When it comes to the comfort of the user, nothing really beats a gaming desk. True gamers are usually willing to spend more money on quality products that ensure their comfort while gaming, which makes gaming stuff really reliable. The Inbox Zero desk is a cost-friendly alternative to the more expensive gaming desks, but one that still deserves a lot of praise. It comes with electricity-powered technology so that you can adjust the desk and memorize your favorite settings. It’s made with a quality steel frame, but can only support about 176 pounds in weight.
Sabine Height Adjustable Standing Desk
The Sabine desk is a simple and effective product that can have a lot of space because it’s smaller compared to the other standing desks we’ve looked at today. With a base made from steel and a top made from manufactured wood, this standing desk can support up to 220 pounds in weight. The height is adjustable from 28 to 48 inches and uses a dual motor to raise and lower the surface smoothly.
Dalton Height Adjustable Standing Desk
When you want a good standing desk that doesn’t cost a small fortune, we recommend taking a look at the Dalton height-adjustable desk. It comes with a metal base and a manufactured wood top, leading to a product that can support up to 150 pounds in weight. There are multiple size options to choose from, but you can also opt for the top and frame finish of your choice.
Other Cool Standing Desk Design Ideas
VARIDESK – Height Adjustable Standing Desk Converter
Enjoy a different and stylish way of working from the founder and producer of the best quality sit and stand desk. This significant dual-layer desk is adjustable and has up to 11 height settings.
This desk has two ergonomic handles that make carrying, lowering and adjusting effortlessly without hurting you’re lower effortlessly.
Some of its unique features are; The dual-layer desk which has a large working space whereby the upper layer can support up to 2 monitors, a laptop and a notebook while the second layer can accommodate a keyboard, mouse and other small working equipment. Already assembly desk to ensure a fast and efficient work result.
Who should purchase this?
The Varidesk can be used at home or in the office by anyone who loves to sit-stand when working and needs a vast working space.
- The two-layer desk design.
- Certified by GreenGaurd Gold, UL certified to attain BIFMA standard and award for outstanding design.
- Sit and work or stand and work options.
- Rowlifting and sufficient working space.
- Spring-loaded tool included for easy lifting or lowering.
- It can accommodate only two computers which are not bigger than 27 inches.
- Risk-free guarantee for 30 days
- Five years warranty.
- Size 76 x 32.87 x 6.50.
- Width: 30 inches
FlexiSpot M3B Standing Desk
If you are looking for a desk that is smooth, easy and flexible then the flexspot M3B standing desk Is the right choice. The already assembled desk is easy to change from sitting to standing by gently pressing the hand bar and can also be lowered or lifted easily with all the loads on the desk without going through much stress.
The two tiers desk create a large working space and stand firmly on its footprints by accommodating a number of tools. With this desk, it means more work can be accomplished with a spacious desk.
This desk features a large top tier which is 47 inches wide and can take up to two 27 inch computers and laptops, while the lower tier can accommodate a keyboard, mouse, and papers. An adjustable bar, a vertical rise, and fold workstation, twelve height settings to fit any height.
Who should purchase this?
This desk can be used for official or home use by anyone who loves a flexible workstation and desired to switch from sitting to standing when working.
- 12 height settings to suit every height.
- The easily adjustable bar that requires no or little effort to switch from sitting to standing.
- Rapid and easy release of the keyboard when not in use.
- 12 height settings to fit any person regardless of his or her height.
- Sturdy and durable
- Not a complete desk. Needs to be put on another table.
- Worksurface: 27″(W) x 31.5″(D)
- Keyboard Tray measures: 27″(W) x 12.8″(D)
- Height Range: 9″ to 19.7″
- Weight :35 lbs.
VARIDESK – Full Electric Desk
Made with the aim to produce high quality and reliable commercial desks for official use which can be easily assembled in less than five minutes. The Varidesk electric desk is constructed to meet all standards of an electric desk with its sleek profile and cable management tray which can nicely fit your workspace.
This desk is made with strong and heavy-duty materials to last and constructed to provide a unique electric standing desk service.
The desk features are; Stability from the steel crossbar to deliver ultimate durability by keeping your computer stable at any height. The spacious and fashionable design which can fit into a workspace with little effort and can be set to different height choice ( 25.5-50.5″). And it’s easy to assemble.
Who should purchase this?
This desk is for commercial and official use.
- Stable and durable design.
- Spacious and fashionable desk.
- The sleek profile and cable management tier.
- Made with heavy-duty materials to last.
- 5″ to 50.5″ high setting
- Requires assembling.
- Not foldable.
- Different height settings from 25.5” (64.5 cm) to 50.5” high (128 cm)
- Three spontaneous memory settings
- Spacious 48” (122 cm) (W) x 30” (76 cm) (D) desktop
- Stable and durable that can carry up to 200 lb (90.7 kg)
Standing Desk Converter With Adjustable Height Desk For Home And Office Desk
Experience the health privileges of a sit-stand desk which can help you burn fat (calories) and relieve you of back pain while you stand to read, work, study or enjoy the game time. The desk can be easily adjusted to a sitting position or standing position in a snap by using the gas spring-loaded lift.
The spacious deck provides room for two monitors, a laptop, notepad, and an additional opening for cell phones, pens, pencils, and many more.
It features a device slot, gas spring-loaded lift, storage tiers, a keyboard and mouse pad storage space, 6″ to 13″ adjustable settings and a sit-stand option.
Who should purchase this?
This unique desk can be used in the office or at home.
- Sit and stand option
- Spacious keyboard, mouse and monitor working surface
- Already assembled and requires little effort to switch from sitting to standing
- The carbon footprint for a noiseless and quiet working environment.
- Additional openings for holding other tools like cell phones, pens, and pencils.
- It does not accommodate the large desktop size.
- Different height settings 6″-16.5″ high
- Product dimension 31.7 x 20.7 x 16.5 inches
- Product material: engineered wood and glass.
SHW Electric Height Adjustable Computer Desk
The SHW Sit and Stand electric height desk is a healthy and balanced desk for reading, working and studying. Made with electric and telescopic height adjustable settings. The 48× 24 inches desk has a grommet that aids in keeping your desk clean and organized.
The desk features an electric press and hold key lift system, an LED flashlight key which aids in controlling the up and down height settings and telescopic solid steel legs. A grommet, leveling glide for stability.
Who should purchase this?
The desk is a great choice for official and home use and can be easily used by anyone who loves to transit from sitting to standing.
- Up and down press height controller.
- An LED flashlight with four preset.
- Solid steel legs and level glide.
- Grommets to aid in organizing your desk.
- Easy switching from stand to sit.
- Requires assembling.
- It does not have multi tiers.
- 28 to 46 inches in height
- Measures – 47.25″ W x 23.6″
- Light cherry color
- Made with solid steel and practical board.
ApexDesk Elite Series 60″ W Electric Height Adjustable Standing Desk
Apexdesk Elite Series Height Adjustable Electric Standing Desk is made with heavy-duty material to last for years. The European design and construction have electric height settings for easy transitioning from sitting to standing.
The desk features a sturdy and heavy-duty construction and dual telescopic motored lift system, beautiful and large working space and LED memory control system with for presets heights which can be easily switched from sitting to stand.
Who can purchase this?
If you are a lover or sit to stand desk then it is right for you. You can use it at home or in the office.
- European design and construction
- Electrically adjustable height control
- Multi-colors to select
- LED memory with four customized presets
- Scratch resistance body with six different wood colors.
- Takes time to assemble
- Requires skill hands.
- Adjustable height from 29″-48″ at 1.3 seconds.
- Multi- colors
- Product Dimensions 60 x 30 x 48 inches
- Material Type: Wood and metal
Seville Classics Airlift S3 Electric Standing Desk with 54″ Top
AIRLIFT S3 Electric Height-Adjustable Standing Desk provides you with all the benefits of staying healthy and active during work, study or game time. The advance desk promotes an active lifestyle and lessening weak and inactive attitude of sitting all day long.
This product features two electric motors which can be used to quietly adjust the height from 25.6″ to 51.4″. Steel construction to ensure stability. An LED flash and four memory preset buttons keep you alert when and decreasing and decreasing the desk and can be set up in a short period.
Who should purchase this?
This desk is a great choice for home, office, colleges or university use.
- The silent and fast adjustment from 51.4 inches high to 25.6 inches low at a fast speed of 1.5 inches per second
- LED flash memory control system
- Includes all needed tools for easy assembling
- ETL certified and CARB Phase two for a high standard.
- Heavy-duty steel which can hold up to 246 lbs
- Requires set up.
- It does not have layers for keyboard and other tools.
- Height: 25.6″ to 51.4″
- Width: 54″
- Depth: 30″
- Speed: 1.49″ per second
- Capacity: 264 lbs.
Tangkula Standing Desk Computer Desk
Transit from sitting to standing with the Tangkula Standing Desk which is built to last long with an iron pipe and a board MDF construction to ensure durability and stability of the desk. This multifunctional desk can be used as a computer table, coffee table, side table and many more!
It features four large mobile wheels, portable with large working space, an anti-scratch PVC covered surface, different height settings and can accommodate two computers which weigh around 66lbs.
Who should purchase this?
The multi-purpose desk can be used by anyone at home or in the office.
- Four mobile wheels
- Iron pipe construction
- Compact design with a large working area
- .PVC anti-scratch coating.
- A multi-functional desk
- Not assembled
- Not spacious and foldable.
- MDF, iron pipe and PVC
- Adjustable height: 27.5 inches to 42 inches
- Size: 33.5× 20.5 inches
Pneumatic Height Adjustable Sit-Stand Mobile Laptop Desk Cart
Enjoy switching position at work with the Seville spring pneumatic desk which can be easily adjusted from 27.1 inches to 41.9 inches by using the AIRLIFT control. The mobile desk can be rolled and kept in a limited workspace.
This desk features; Four rolling wheels, spring pneumatic adjustment control, an AIRLIFT, and a strong aluminum frame.
Who should purchase this?
This desk is perfect for teachers, office use and home use
- Spacious (28.1″ x 19.6″) beveled top
- AIRLIFT pneumatic height adjustment and control settings.
- Aluminum shaft with steel core
- Two large 2.4-inch diameter casters
- White laminate finish
- Limited space
- Needs assembling and it’s not foldable.
- 1″ to 41.9 inches
- Width: 28.1″
- Depth: 19.6″
- Type: Pneumatic
- Capacity: 33 lbs. N
- Weight: 34.6 lbs.
Stand Steady Standing Desk X-Elite Standing Desk
Transit from sitting to standing with the innovative X-Elite Pro Sit / Stand desk by Stand Steady. The X-Elite pro sits- stand desk is portable and needs no assembling and has won an award for its modern design and health benefits.
This desk features a steel leg and body, ergonomic height options, laminated particles, already assembled and can accommodate a mouse, keyboard and other tools.
Who can purchase this?
This desk is suitable for home or official use.
- Already assembled
- Durable steel core and legs
- Modern and stylish design.
- Not spacious to accommodate two computers.
- Adjustable from 7 to 16 inches,
- Desktop surface is 28 inches x 20 inches
- Designed to fit most desks and cubicles.
- The maximum load on X-Elite Pro is 20 lbs.
Best way to use a standing desk
- Select a desk with standing and sitting options so as to avoid straining the leg muscle and over sitting.
- Set your desk and computer to a minimal level that is, the desk should be around your elbow level and the computer should be at eye level with a 20-30cm distance from your eyes.
- Anti-fatigue mats help in leasing soreness of the leg, backache, and exhaustion. Having one will make standing easy.
- Use arm support on your desk to aid in relieving neck and shoulder pain.
- Always switch your keyboard and mouse when you change a position ( standing or sitting).
- Don’t forget to rest!
Related: The 10 Best Drafting Table Options For Modern-Day Users
Benefits of a Standing Desk
A standing desk is a rather unconventional approach and, when you have to work for at least eight hours straight, it can be discouraging to think that you have to stand up the entire time. In spite of this idea of utter discomfort, there are multiple benefits to choosing a standing desk, such as:
- Lower risk of obesity – A sedentary lifestyle is characterized by people not getting enough exercise in, and it’s kind of a package deal when you end up working in an office the entire time. Standing can actually go a long way in reducing the risk of obesity, even if you only burn a little over 170 calories per day just by standing.
- Lower blood sugar levels – After you eat, the sugar levels in your blood start to increase. The more they increase, the more dangerous it is for your health. According to one particular study conducted on office workers, standing for three minutes after lunch will actually reduce the blood sugar spike by 43 percent.
- Lower risk of heart disease – Throughout the decades, scientists have understood what standing implied in terms of heart health. A sedentary lifestyle can increase the risk of heart disease up to 147 percent.
- Reduced back pain – It’s a well-known fact that people who have to sit down the entire day will eventually start to complain about back pain. Studies have shown that lower back pain can improve up to 32 percent when using a standing desk.
- Productivity boost – Studies have revealed that standing can improve a person’s overall mood and boosts energy levels. In turn, this leads to a boost in productivity, making you more alert and energetic.
Standing Desk Height
Even when standing behind the desk, there is a right and a wrong way to do it and if you want to make the most out of this experience, you’re going to have to learn about adjusting the height of the desk so that you can use it in a comfortable position.
Related: Modern Wall-Mounted Desk Designs With Flair And Personality
When you’re standing behind the desk, odds are you’re working with a computer, which makes it important to reposition the screen as well. The surface of your standing desk should be at elbow’s height. If you place your elbows on the desk, they should form a 90-degree angle with the floor. The exact height for positioning the desk will depend on the height of the individual using it.
As far as screen positioning is concerned, there are no exact rules, but there are a few tips that might help you out. When you place your arms and elbows on the desk, the screen of your computer should be placed at a distance higher than the one from your elbow to the tip of your middle finger. The top of the screen needs to be positioned at eye level and tilted at a 10 to 20-degree angle. The main thing to keep in mind is that you shouldn’t be required to tilt your neck up or down when looking at the screen.
Switching between standing and sitting is very important to keep you active, stress-free and increase health benefits when working or enjoying a game or study time. With different options in the market to choose from, I believe that you will select the best standing desk to suit your needs.
Having the right standing desk also means a high productivity rate and a great way of burning calories. If you find this review helpful, kindly share and comment.