Dehumidifiers are a great addition to the home because they help with excess moisture. Having too much moisture in the home can result in mold and mildew which can be detrimental in the long run.
If you’ve got a smaller room that doesn’t warrant purchasing a large dehumidifier that’s more expensive, smaller dehumidifiers are a great alternative. They’re still able to efficiently remove moisture, and since they’re small they’re portable and can be easily brought to another part of the house.
If you’re not sure where to start when it comes to purchasing a small dehumidifier, we’ve gone ahead and listed some of the 5 best options below. Before diving into them, let’s get started by talking a little bit about how a small dehumidifier is a beneficial addition to your home.
Why a Small Dehumidifier?
Let’s get started by talking about what a dehumidifier is first. Simply put, a dehumidifier helps to get rid of moisture in the air which is incredibly helpful for those living in more humid climates or happen to be living in a damp room. By removing the moisture, a dehumidifier will prevent mold and mildew growth.
Small dehumidifiers in particular are great for those that want to remove moisture within the room and aren’t looking for anything overly fancy. They’re especially great in cars, closets, cabinets, and even in gym bags. The great thing about small humidifiers is that they’re also portable and are generally battery-operated so you don’t have to worry about plugging them to a power source.
If you’re thinking about getting a small dehumidifier, there are a few points that you should consider before making your purchase. First of all, you’d want to make sure that your dehumidifier is light and portable so that you’re able to carry it around everywhere. Secondly, you’d want to make sure that the water collection tank is small so that it’s also compact and easy to carry around. Lastly, it’d be best if the dehumidifier doesn’t need to be connected to a power source for your convenience.
Types of Dehumidifiers
Dehumidifiers are classified depending on their method of moisture collection, and the three main types are:
- Refrigerant dehumidifiers, which have a system that works a lot like your home fridge. There is a cool metal plate that collects condensed moisture. The moisture later drops in the unit’s water collection tank, while the fan runs to constantly draw moisture from the room.
- Desiccant dehumidifiers, which use a special material (which is basically silica gel) to absorb water from the air. The desiccant wheel runs to absorb moisture, as a portion of it runs through a stream of warm air. This process helps drive off moisture, which is collected in a water tank. They usually operate at lower temperatures compared to refrigerant models.
- Whole-house dehumidifiers are cheaper to run, and they are also considered to be the most efficient types of dehumidifiers on the market. The unit will monitor the moisture levels in the house and will turn the system on or off, as required.
How to Choose a Dehumidifier
When you’re on the market looking to buy a dehumidifier, here are some things to know before spending money on this piece of machinery:
- The size of the dehumidifier needs to match your needs for moisture removal. Large-capacity units can remove more than 40 points of water per day, medium-capacity units work for removing from 30 to 35 pints per day, while small-capacity units can remove between 20 and 25 pints of moisture daily.
- You want a dehumidifier that comes with a bucket that’s easy to remove and empty. When the tank is full, removing it from the unit should be done without getting any water spills, and it should have a system that allows you to grab it and empty it even if it’s full.
- Dehumidifiers are created with filters that allow air to pass through, and these filters will get dirty in time. Look for units that have a notification telling you it’s time to clean the filter.
- Some dehumidifiers allow you to connect a hose to the unit, and this feature is important if you want to skip the part where you empty the tank and just have the unit release water through the hose and down a floor drain. This option is particularly useful for removing moisture from basements.
- Look for units with features that improve the accessibility and safety of the product. The auto-restart feature will turn the unit back on after a power outage, while timers allow the dehumidifier to turn itself on and off even if you’re away from home.
Where to Place a Dehumidifier
If you’re not sure where to place your dehumidifier, consider the following:
- Your portable dehumidifier needs to be close to the moisture source. This will help prevent moisture from spreading to other areas.
- You also have to consider the size of the room. For large areas, the unit should be placed in the center of the room so that you can benefit from as much coverage as possible.
- Dehumidifiers also need clearance to function properly because their airflow shouldn’t be restricted. This means that you shouldn’t place the unit too close to walls or other large objects.
- When you place the unit, make sure that you have easy access to the water tank, because it will require emptying on a regular basis.
Top 5 Best Small Dehumidifiers
We’ve taken the liberty of rounding up some of the best small dehumidifiers and breaking down the details to help you choose one that will work for you.
This small dehumidifier is great because it’s lightweight, compact, and portable. Even though it’s small, this dehumidifier is still capable of removing up to 18 ounces of water per day. The dehumidifier also comes with a number of qualities such as automatically shutting off when it’s full and an LED light that turns on when the water tank needs draining.
The dehumidifier also has a thermo-electric cooling technology that’ll keep your humidifier running quietly in the background. Since it doesn’t have a compressor, you won’t have to worry about it making loud noises. Best of all, this dehumidifier will help in removing high humidity in all places from your room to the office and more.
- Lightweight, compact and portable
- Automatically shuts off when full
- Thermo-electric cooling technology to keep the humidifier running quietly
- Only good for smaller spaces like cabinets and small bathrooms
This small dehumidifier comes with highly efficient dehumidification which means that it’s great at keeping moisture in the space below 50 percent. It comes with both a front and back air inlet which helps to efficiently remove moisture in the air. The LONOVE dehumidifier also has runs quietly and won’t disturb you if you’re sleeping or working.
It’s also incredibly easy to operate, all you have to do is press a button and you’re all good to go. It’ll also run continuously until the tank is full – at which the humidifier automatically shuts off. It’s also both compact and lightweight, so you’re able to take it with you anywhere. This particular dehumidifier can also help with saving energy as it uses a fan to move air instead of refrigerated coils.
- Has both a front and back air inlet to remove moisture
- Runs quietly
- Easy to operate and is both compact and lightweight
- Some individuals mentioned that it loses its efficiency easily
If you’re looking for a small dehumidifier that’ll help in extracting moisture from the air, this particular dehumidifier is a great addition to your home. It has advanced humidity control to keep your home’s humidity levels low and operates quietly so you can place it in the nursery or have it at your workplace.
When the water tank is full, the dehumidifier also shuts off immediately. Its water tank is also transparent so it’s easy for you to keep track of the water level and empty it out when it’s full. Upon purchase of this dehumidifier, you also get an AC power adapter along with a five-year warranty.
- Advanced humidity control
- Transparent water tank so you know when to empty it out
- Comes with a five-year warranty
- When plugged in, the electrical cord goes over the water tray which can be dangerous
This high efficiency small and compact dehumidifier is able to extract up to 9-ounces of water in enclosed small rooms and spaces. It comes with an auto-shutoff function when it’s full of water and the light turns red when the water tank needs draining. Removal of the water tank is also incredibly easy, and there’s no hassle required at all.
The dehumidifier comes with a built-in thermoelectric cooling technology that helps the dehumidifier to operate quietly. Since it’s small, you’re able to place it anywhere and it’s also portable so you can bring it with you to your office or caravan.
- Comes with an auto-shutoff function
- Has a built-in thermoelectric cooling technology
- Small, light and portable
- You can’t clean the water tank, there’s only a hole to drain the water
The Eva Dry dehumidifier is easy to use and is spill and mess-free. All you need to do is just hang it and you’re good to go. It’s also non-toxic and is suitable for small spaces. What’s great about this dehumidifier is that it’s also completely cordless so you’ll just have to charge your device, but no cables or batteries are required. It’ll also last for about 20-30 days before needing another recharge.
It’s also a portable and sleek design that you can hang or place anywhere conveniently. On top of that, you’ll also get a five-year warranty upon purchase of this dehumidifier.
- Can be conveniently hung anywhere
- Completely cordless
- Has a portable and sleek design
- It takes a while to recharge
The Bottom Line
There you have it, some of the best small dehumidifiers that we’ve found. There are plenty of options to choose from in terms of features and what you feel would suit your needs best. There are positives to investing in a small dehumidifier such as being able to remove moisture efficiently in smaller rooms. Its portable size also means that you can take it around with you anywhere.