Move the party from the kitchen to the patio this summer with this color-blocked, dual-handle serving patio tray. Made from just a simple wood board and handles from the hardware store, this summer-ready tray is the perfect vessel for transporting a spread of fruit or perhaps cocktails outdoors. Create one for your home in just an hour and entertain all fresco in style all summer long!
- Wood board approx. 8″w x 15″l X 1″d. We used hickory wood, but most any species will do.
- Sandpaper: coarse and fine grain
- Oil-based (water resistant) paint
- Paint brush
- Butcher block board conditioner (food grade)
- Two hardware handles + screws
- Electric Drill
1. Have the hardware store cut down the board to your desired length.
2. Use coarse-grain sand paper to sand all edges smooth. Follow up with a sanding of fine-grain sandpaper.
3. Hand-paint board edges with a pop of yellow paint.
4. Apply board conditioner to the top and bottom of the board with a paper towel. Board conditioner helps prepare the board for being wiped down (prevents drying and cracking), as well as helps conceal knife marks.
5. Mark with a pen or pencil the location you’d like your hardware placed.
6. Drill marked locations from Step 4 with an electric drill bit. Take care not to drill all the way through the board.
7. Position hardware over drill marks from Step 6, and screw in place.
8. Use to serve summer fruit or pair with a ripe pineapple for a killer house warming gift!