Store-bought cleaning products can be harsh on your skin and they’re not as natural as they want to seem. So why not make your own cleaners? It’s actually very easy. You can either use vinegar, baking soda, lemon or a combination of these and you get killer universal cleaners to use around the house.
10 BEST USES FOR VINEGAR
1. Did you know vinegar makes a great hardwood floor cleaner? Just mix half a cup of white vinegar with a gallon of warm water and wash the floors with the mix. However, don’t use it on floors with a waxed finish.
2. Vinegar is also a great kitchen degreaser. You can use it to clean the oven and also daily whenever you’re having trouble with a splatter. You can use a brush or a sponge and distilled vinegar.
3. Another great use for vinegar is as a window cleaner. Use a simple solution made with vinegar and water and it should work just fine, if you want, you can also add lemon juice. Use crumpled newspapers to wipe off the solution.
4. Maybe you’ve noticed that if you leave water in a glass, after a while it leaves rings and a residue known as scale. This can’t be simply removed with regular cleaning solutions so you need something stronger. Lucky for you, vinegar does the trick. It dissolves the minerals and leaves the glass perfectly clean.
5. A very popular and old use for vinegar is against mold, germs and bacteria. All you have to do is keep a spray bottle filled with vinegar in your kitchen and bathroom and use it for cleaning. Spray vinegar on the cutting board to kill the germs and let it set overnight.
6. You can also use vinegar to clean brass. It’s good for cleaning candlesticks or brass fixtures. Simply rub or soak the brass piece in vinegar and it will sparkle clean in no time.
7. Vinegar also serves as a great furniture polish. Use ¼ cup of vinegar and a few drops of oil. Dip a soft recycled cloth in the mixture and use it to wipe the furniture clean. It will be shiny and beautiful for a long time after that.
8. If, for any reason, there’s an unpleasant smell in your house, simply put a bowl of vinegar in the room for a couple of hours and the smell will disappear. It’ a great trick.
9. If you have an ant problem, the best solution is vinegar. All you have to do is put vinegar in a spray bottle and spray the ants’ trail. They leave a scent behind and that’s how they all know where to go so if you use vinegar on the trail, they get lost. It’s actually quite funny.
10. Another great use for vinegar is in the kitchen if you want to unclog the drain. Make a solution of vinegar and baking soda. You basically have to pout one cup of baking soda down the drain and then one cup of hot distilled vinegar. After 30 minutes flush it with hot water.
10 BEST USES FOR BACKING SODA.
1. One of the most popular uses for baking soda is as silver polish. All you basically have to do is made a paste of baking soda and water, scoop some onto a clean rag and polish the silver.
2. You can also use baking soda to clean the oven. Sprinkle some onto the bottom of the oven, squirt some water to make it damp and let it set overnight. In the morning, clean the oven with a sponge.
3. Use baking soda as deodorizer for the cutting board. Just sprinkle the cutting board with baking soda, scrub and rinse. It will be clean and it will also smell good. Just like new again.
4. Get rid of the ugly smells in the refrigerator. Place a box of baking soda in the back of the fridge. It will absorb the odors and your refrigerator will smell delicious.
5. Baking soda is also good for cleaning the drains. Pour one cup of baking soda down the drain followed by three cups of boiling water.
6. You can also use it to scrub the bathtub or the tiles. Mix half a cup of baking soda with liquid soap or detergent in a bowl until you get a texture like frosting. Use a sponge to clean the tiles or the tub.
7. You can clean the bristles of the toothbrushes with baking soda if you soak them in a mixture of baking soda and warm water. Then let them sit overnight and clean them in the morning.
8. Use baking soda to keep the ants away. Lay down a barrier of baking soda under the sink pipe openings or along the basement windows. It also works against roaches. They basically eat the baking soda and die.
9. If you have a puppy or a cat and they haven’t mastered the art of using the bathroom yet, you can remove cat or dog urine with baking soda. Sprinkle the area with baking soda and let it sit for a few hours. It neutralizes acid odors.
10. Keep your front steps ice-free during winter. Just sprinkle baking soda and this will provide traction and it will also melt the ice. It doesn’t damage the surfaces or shoes and it’s a better option than rock salt.
10 BEST USES FOR LEMONS.
1. Out of the three options presented here, lemons have the most uses. Used lemons can be recycled too. Just toss them into the garbage disposal to keep it clean and to make it smell fresh.
2. One of the best uses for lemon juice is on furniture. It’s great for removing scratches. Just mix equal parts lemon juice and salad oil. Rub it on the scratches with a soft cloth.
3. Lemon juice is also great as furniture polish. Mix one part lemon juice and two parts olive oil. Your furniture will be shiny and will look healthy and like new again.
4. Remove the spots from the kitchen and bathroom faucets with lemon peel. Rub it onto the faucets, wash them and dry them with a soft cloth. It makes them shiny and clean.
5. After you’re finishes painting the walls in your home, you’ll eventually have to remove the dried paint from the glass. To do that, just apply hot lemon juice with a soft cloth. Leave until nearly dry and then simply wipe off.
6. If you have marble in your home, you can use lemon to remove the stains on these surfaces. Simply cut a lemon in half and dip the exposed flesh into some table salt. Then rub it on the stain. However, don’t repeat the process too often because the acid can damage the marble.
7. Eliminate fireplace odor with lemon. Simply throw a few lemon peels into the flames or burn them along with your firewood. You’ll be able to sit cozily in front of the fireplace without worrying about the bad smell.
8. Don’t allow the litter box to give out an unpleasant smell. Maybe you can get used to it but your guests will definitely notice it. Cut a couple of lemons in half and place them cut side up in a dish in the room.
9. You can also use lemon juice to remove the refrigerator odors. All you have to do is dab lemon juice on a cotton ball or on a sponge and leave it in the fridge for a few hours.
10. If you have copper pots, you can easily clean them by cutting a lemon in half and rubbing the cut side with salt. Then rub the lemon onto the metal and rinse with hot water.