Turquoise is a precious gemstone with a vibrant blue-green color. The turquoise color holds several meanings and is believed to promote physical well-being. Many cultures use it as a protective amulet against negative energy and evil spirits.
Turquoise is often associated with serenity, calmness, and inner peace. Its soothing color helps reduce stress and anxiety. The balance between blue and green links the stone with emotional stability, clarity, and spirituality.
Properties of Turquoise Stone
Composition and Physical Characteristics
The turquoise stone is a hydrous phosphate of copper and aluminum. Its chemical formula is CuAl₆(PO₄)₄(OH)₈·4H₂O. The rare mineral occurs in Iran, Afghanistan, China, Chile, the United States, and Mexico.
The turquoise crystal’s distinctive blue-green color results from copper ions within the structure. Its texture is waxy to subvitreous, giving a smooth and somewhat glossy appearance.
Color Variations and Gemological Classifications
The mineral occurs in unique shades of whitish blue, sky blue, bluish-green, green, and yellowish green. Rich, dark shades of turquoise stone are the rarest and most valuable types.
Whitish blue stones are also unique collectibles. Here are the standard color variations and gemological classifications of turquoise:
- Robin’s Egg Blue: This is a light blue color reminiscent of the eggs of the American robin bird. It’s a highly sought-after turquoise and is considered a top-quality hue.
- Sky Blue: Sky blue turquoise has a brighter and deeper blue color than Robin’s egg blue. It’s a popular choice for turquoise jewelry.
- Greenish-Blue: Raw turquoise with a greener hue. The intensity of the green component varies, resulting in different shades and tones.
- Apple Green: Some turquoise exhibits a predominantly green color with a minimal blue component.
- Yellowish-Green: This turquoise has a yellowish tinge comparable to serpentine or jasper.
Durability and Hardness
Turquoise is a relatively soft gemstone with a Mohs hardness rating of 5 to 6. The Mohs scale measures a mineral’s scratch resistance and abrasion. The relative hardness of minerals ranges from 1 to 10, with 10 being the hardest (diamond).
Turquoise falls in the mid-range and is softer than sapphires, rubies, and diamonds. It’s easily scratched or damaged by harder materials, such as quartz or metal. Turquoise is sensitive to chemicals, acids, and sweat, which causes discoloration or damage to the stone.
Avoid exposing turquoise to harsh chemicals or prolonged exposure to sunlight for better longevity. It’s best to remove turquoise jewelry when engaging in sports or activities that subject it to rough contact.
Psychological and Emotional Effects of Turquoise
The turquoise color is calm, friendly, and cheerful. It’s often associated with serenity, wisdom, and positivity. Turquoise helps reduce stress, anxiety, and depression while promoting tranquility and emotional stability.
Mental Clarity and Communication
As a Throat chakra stone, turquoise influences communication, self-expression, and creativity. It assists in organizing thoughts and ideas, which yields more effective communication.
Wearing turquoise as jewelry and including it in meditation unblocks the throat chakra. These practices clear mental fog, stimulate clarity of thought, and improve focus.
Connection to Inner Calm and Serenity
Turquoise offers a similar calmness as the sky or deep ocean waters. Being around the color protects you from negative energy and evokes a sense of inner peace. Turquoise’s yellow undertone is a mood booster, while blue and green promote healing.
Benefits of Turquoise Stone
Physical Health Benefits
- Healing properties and metaphysical effects: The turquoise stone, known as “The Great Protector,” protects against physical harm.
- Promotes well-being and vitality: Turquoise crystals block negative energies. They help ease physical discomfort and reduce inflammation.
- Supports the immune system and detoxification: Turquoise helps eliminate toxins from the body. It supports the detoxification organs, such as the liver and kidneys. It also reduces acidity and digestion problems.
Emotional and Spiritual Benefits
- Enhances communication and self-expression: Wearing or working with turquoise activates the throat chakra, facilitating clear and authentic expression.
- Alleviates stress and promotes emotional balance: Turquoise symbolizes friendship and love. It promotes forgiveness and brings peace to the home.
- Stimulates intuition and spiritual growth: Turquoise is used in color meditation to balance the physical and spiritual chakras.
Protective and Purifying Properties
- Believed to protect against negative energies: Turquoise rings and bracelets are worn as protection when traveling, healing, or starting something new.
- Acts as a talisman of luck and prosperity: Placing turquoise stones in your home or office attracts wealth and good fortune.
- Purifies and strengthens the aura: Turquoise balances and aligns all chakras, which promotes a healthy aura.
Turquoise in Alternative Healing Modalities
Turquoise is often utilized in alternative healing modalities due to its energetic properties and associations.
Crystal Healing and Chakra Balancing
Turquoise is a cleansing stone that helps clear negativity and energy blockages. Practitioners use turquoise stones during healing sessions to remove energetic stagnation.
Turquoise gemstones are placed on or around the body along the energy centers (chakras). Placing turquoise on the throat chakra, in combination with other stones, activates the seven chakras.
The stone’s soothing properties create a peaceful and focused state of mind. Chakra balancing allows for deeper introspection, self-reflection, and the setting of clear intentions.
Feng Shui Practices
Feng Shui practices center around five elements: wood, fire, earth, metal, and water. The wood element symbolizes growth, vitality, and new beginnings. Feng Shui practitioners use earthy colors like brown, blue, and green to represent the wood element.
Adding green or blue crystals, such as turquoise, activates the wood element in your home. Strategic placement of the crystals is necessary for them to be effective.
Uses of Turquoise Stone in Feng Shui
The turquoise stone is essential to your home’s health, wealth, and prosperity.
Turquoise Placement and Arrangement
- Enhancing energy flow: Displaying turquoise stones in a bowl or tray in the living room or entryway impacts the room’s energy.
- Activating the Bagua areas: Place turquoise stones in the health area (center of the space) for physical and emotional well-being. Place the stones on the front left (North East) side when pursuing career growth and new opportunities.
Specific Feng Shui Applications of Turquoise
- Talismans and amulets for protection and luck: Carrying turquoise beads in your pocket or bag keeps the protective and lucky energies close to your body.
- Jewelry and decor for balancing and harmonizing spaces: Choose a necklace, pendant, bracelet, ring, or any jewelry that incorporates turquoise. You can also position turquoise talismans or amulets in specific areas of your home or workplace.
- Use in Feng Shui cures and remedies: Hold or place the turquoise in your meditation room to enhance your connection to its energies. It can help set intentions, invite protection, and attract luck.