Is your home prone to having water leaks? If so, it may be time to invest in a water leak detector. This nifty appliance will help in detecting water and can help with preventing excessive moisture or flooding that can result from a faulty pipe or other appliances. After all, major water damage can incur a hefty cost and cause unnecessary safety concerns, so you’d want to prevent that from occurring in your home.
How Do They Work?
How a water leak detector works is simple, when there’s water, the sensors will either set off a physical alarm or trigger an alert that’ll be sent via WiFi to your phone or computer. Some water leak detectors can even hep to automatically shut off valves and prevent major damage.
If you’re looking for a water leak detector, you could be overwhelmed by the sheer number of them there are on the market. To help, we’ve curated a list of 10 of some of the best water leak detectors to get you started. Before we delve into the details of these water leak detectors however, here are a few tips when it comes to choosing the best water leak detector for you.
When shopping for a water leak detector, the first thing you’d need to consider is whether or not you’d like it to be integrated with other applications in your home such as Amazon Alexa or other smart home products. If you don’t want to get an entire home system, then you’ll need to get a water leak detector with multiple sensors. For example, you may want one near a dishwasher or near a window that constantly leaks – the number of sensors you purchase should be determined by what your home needs.
Then, you’ll need to consider whether or not you want an automatic water shut-off feature in your water leak detector. With this feature, the system will automatically shut off the water source when a leak is detected. This is a great feature to have as a continuous flow of water can cause substantial damage to your home.
Temperature monitoring is also crucial – especially if you live somewhere with extremely cold weather. With this feature, you’ll be alerted to freezing pipes. Some features can also detect high humidity and minimize mold in your home. Finally, you’ll have to consider the battery life. If you plan on having this water leak detector around for a while, it’s wise to invest in one that can last for at least three to four years. Some sensors will also send you an alert if the battery needs replacing – an incredibly helpful feature.
How to Choose a Water Leak Detector
Choosing a water leak detector isn’t all that complicated if you know a few of the basic features that this type of product should have. Some of the following ones are recommended because they make your life easier, but some are mandatory if you want a product that truly does a good job:
- The power source of a water leak detector is important because you want it to work around the clock. Choosing a battery-powered detector is better because it doesn’t need any wiring modifications and it will work in case of a power outage too. Keep in mind that some sensors will still require wiring in order to be connected to your home’s water system, or else you won’t get to benefit from features such as automatic shutdown. If you decide to opt for a battery-powered water leak detector, you need to choose one with a good battery life. There are models out there that can last up to a decade. Another feature to look out for is low battery warning, so you don’t have to constantly have to check the battery levels yourself.
- The water detection feature is another factor to consider. There are models that emit a leak notification when the water touches the sensor, while others will detect leaks at less than ⅓ inch away. Prior to purchasing a detector, you need to know how much water it takes to trigger the alarm. The best models on the market are equipped with adjustable sensitivity sensors so you can have more control over what it takes to trigger the alarm. Some sensors have features that emit alerts even in case of floods, should the sensor be submerged in water.
- Temperature monitoring is something that you want to have on your water leak detector in case you live in really cold areas. This feature will notify you in case of freezing pipes, which can lead to burst and immense repair costs.
- Automatic shutdown is a feature that turns off your home’s water in case the sensor detects any leaks. These detectors will typically sound the alarm, send you an alert, and then turn off the water supply. Take note that detectors with this feature are generally more expensive.
- Mobile app connectivity is a very handy feature, especially if you’re away from home a lot. This feature comes in handy when you’re not at home and won’t be able to hear the detectors sound the alarm. Instead, you will receive a phone alert that will notify you of the problem.
Top 10 Best Water Leak Detectors
This is one of the best water leak detectors there is in the market and it’s not hard to see why. First up this detector will automatically shut off the water supply in your home if they’ve detected any leaks. There’s also an app that’ll send real-time alerts to your home if a leak is detected, and as a bonus, you’ll get to see and set your water consumption goals as well as monitor daily water usage and more.
This detector also comes with a Microleak technology that’ll monitor your home’s entire water system – even tiny drops of water, so you’ll be able to get these minor leaks fixed before they turn into a bigger problem. Finally, the detector is compatible with a range of Smart Home devices from Alexa to Google Assistant.
- Will automatically shut off the water supply
- An app that sends real-time alerts
- You can set water consumption goals and monitor daily water usage
- Comes with a unique microleak technology
- You have to get it professionally installed
Another great water leak detector on the market, it’ll help with detecting water leaks and also has temperature and humidity measurement features. It’s battery-operated and is said to last for about three years and can connect to your home’s Wi-Fi directly. Other great features of this detector include having LED lights and a buzzer to notify a leak detection and being able to install this within minutes on your own – no professional assistance required.
The app that this detector comes with is also user-friendly, and easy to set up. From the app, you can also monitor all your devices as well as control your thermostat to prevent any possible freezing.
- Measures temperature and humidity
- Can connect directly to your home’s Wi-Fi
- You can install this on your own without DIY help
- User-friendly control panel
- Cannot be connected to your Smart Home devices
This small water leak detector can easily fit in a multitude of locations from under the sink to your washing machine and more. It’ll automatically detect excess water or moisture and send alerts to your phone. It also comes with a temperature monitoring feature, and you can pick from either siren or light-up alerts when there’s abnormal moisture or temperatures detected.
Other great features that this water leak detector comes with include being able to connect to your smart device and help with shutting down electronics in case of a leak. It’s also compatible with Amazon Alexa so you can easily integrate both devices.
- Fits in various spaces
- Detects excess water or moisture
- Has a temperature monitoring feature
- Can shut down electronics in case of a leak
- Some have mentioned that it’s got a low battery life
Protect your home with this intelligent water leak detector. Once you’ve installed your detector, you’ll get updates through the app whenever it’s detected a leak or if you’ve got unusually high-water use. The app will also help you both control your water usage and conserve water. If you’re trying to tighten your finances, you can also set water budgets on the app, and it’ll let you know when you’re approaching the limit.
You can easily install everything in minutes, and it can be paired with smart devices along with Amazon Alexa. Upon your purchase, you’ll also get everything you need from your detector to a Wi-Fi bridge along with a meter lid tool.
- Get updates 24/7
- Helps with controlling water usage and conserving water
- You can set water budgets on the app
- Easily install everything in minutes
- Some have mentioned that the initial measurements aren’t accurate
This detector comes with numerous features that make it a great addition to your home. It doesn’t just have back sensitive sensor probes but there are also sensor probes at the front of the device. If there’s a water leak, there’s also a loud audible alarm that’ll sound if there’s no Wi-Fi in your home.
It’s also completely waterproof so you don’t have to worry about your device being damaged and has both a strong and stable signal transmission to provide you with all the data you need. The app itself is easy to use and allows you to monitor the water leakage remotely. You also never have to worry about your detector running out of battery as the app will let you know when its battery is running low.
- Comes with numerous sensitive sensor probes
- Has a loud audible alarm
- Completely waterproof
- Strong and stable signal transmission
- Some have mentioned that it’s hard to get the gateway to connect
This detector has everything you need to prevent leaks in your home. It’s able to measure tiny changes in water pressure and will let you know if there’s a leak that has been detected. It’s also got an automatic shutoff feature to prevent the plumbing problem from becoming a bigger issue
If there’s a leak, the app will even send you all details you need to know to help diagnose the issue and fix it with your plumber. You can also turn off your water supply with the help of the handy app. While many water detectors require you to place them around your home, you’ll only need this single device to protect your entire home’s water system and it can also connect to existing Wi-Fi. On top of that, you can also monitor your water usage, connect to Amazon Alexa, and be used both indoors and outdoors.
- Has an automatic shutoff feature
- Will send you with all details about the leak to diagnose the issue and fix it
- You’ll only need this single device to protect your home
- Can be used indoors and outdoors
- Some have mentioned that the system can forget what it has already learned
Know of all the leaks that are happening in your home with this water leak detector. The system will automatically notify you of any leaks and will respond to them by either turning off the water supply or activating an alarm. The telescopic feet will also always make contact with both even and uneven surfaces and won’t corrode.
What’s great about this detector is that it’s able to alert you if there’s a sudden rise or fall in temperature – which can help with minimizing damage due to frozen pipes. It’s also compatible with Apple Home and does not require any extensive electrical installation.
- Automatically notifies you of any leaks
- Responds to leaks accordingly
- Feet of the device won’t corrode
- Will let you know of changes in temperature
- Some have mentioned that the instructions are difficult to understand
Whilst it may be small, this water leak detector will still get the job done effectively. It can be placed in any leak-prone area and can also help with monitoring rise and falls in temperatures. If there’s a leak or a temperature variant, the detector will activate an audible alarm if your smartphone isn’t with you.
Whenever there’s a leak, you’ll immediately be notified via email or push notifications through your smartphone. This detector also has a two-year battery life, so you don’t have to worry about it not working after a short period. It’s also easy to set up, and there’s no limit to the number of contacts you can add to your notification list.
- Can be placed anywhere
- Helps with monitoring temperatures
- Has a two-year battery life
- No limit to the number of contacts you can add
- Some have mentioned that the alarm isn’t very audible
For simple installation, this is your detector of choice. There’s no complicated installation process, and the instructions are incredibly easy to follow. If you’ve got a pet, you’ll also be happy to know that it’s pet-friendly, so the alarm won’t be triggered by your friendly furry family. The app is user-friendly and there’s also customer support to help you in case you run into any issues.
Other great features of this detector include unlimited user invitations and push notification alerts. You can also add text and voice notifications if you’d like, and it’s also compatible with Alexa. This is the perfect simple device to help you keep tabs on your stuff.
- Simple installation
- User-friendly app
- Comes with customer support
- Some said that the battery doesn’t last
You no longer have to worry about water leakage in your home with this detector. It’ll automatically detect water leakage within your home which will trigger a powerful alarm. It’s also got a solid construction and structure to ensure both long-term operation and durability. If need be, you can also easily clean and remove your device and attach it somewhere else.
Feel free to place this device anywhere from your water heater to an AC unit and more. You can choose to mount it on a flat surface with its built-in suction cup or with the double-sided adhesive foam tape that comes with your purchase.
- Comes with a powerful alarm
- Easy to install
- Easy to remove and attach somewhere else
- Comes with a built-in suction cup and double-sided adhesive foam tape
- Doesn’t have any technological capabilities
The Bottom Line
There you have it, some of the best water leak detectors that we’ve found. There are plenty of options to choose from, and you’re sure to find a water leak detector that meets your needs. The great thing about these options is that they come in various price points and come with their own unique features. You’re sure to be able to find something that suits your needs from all the options listed above.
What is the best water leak detector?
The best water leak detector is one that gets the job done, has a sensitive sensor that will help you track leaks in due time, but also packs the features that you might find convenient, such as mobile app connectivity or automatic shutdown. Some of the best names include iHome Wi-Fi Dual Leak Sensor, Flo by Moen, or Honeywell Lyric Wi-Fi Water Leak & Freeze Detector.
Is there a tool to detect water leak?
Water leak detectors are the best tools to help you with such a problem. They have sensors that will trigger alarms once water leaks are detected, and some models will even cut off your home’s water supply to avoid flooding.
How much does water leak detection cost?
If you want to hire professionals to help detect leaks, this service can cost anything in between $99 and $700. These experts use acoustic tools and electronic location equipment to discover the original leak point.
How does a water leak detector work?
It depends on the type of water leak detector we’re talking about. For instance, a spot leak detector will monitor conditions in a certain location. Flow leak sensors are installed on the home’s main water supply and detect information related to the water’s pressure or flow rate. These systems work through sensors that detect the excess flow of water that goes beyond the pre-set threshold.