Window Cleaning Costs 2023: How Much to Get Windows Cleaned?
Window cleaning can be a challenging task to complete, especially exterior window washing when you live in a multi-story house. To save yourself the hassle, you can hire a window cleaning company to wash the interior and exterior of your windows.
If you’re wondering how much to clean windows inside and out, expect to pay about $13 per standard-sized window. Here’s what else to consider before hiring professional window cleaners.
How Much Does Window Cleaning Cost?
The price to hire professional window cleaners depends on the number of windows in your home, whether you want the interior and exterior washed, the number of stories in your house, and how dirty the windows are.
Residential Window Cleaning Prices
Residential window cleaning costs average about $250 but can be more or less depending on the situation.
- The average price for residential exterior window cleaning is $10 per window but ranges from $4-$11
- Companies that offer interior window cleaning may add about $3 per window in addition to the exterior price.
- Some window cleaning companies include screen cleaning in their quotes, while others charge an additional $0.50 to $5 per screen.
- More oversized windows, like picture or bay windows, cost more to clean, averaging about $15
- Some companies clean sills and tracks, while others charge extra
- While most window washers charge by the pane or window, the average hourly rate ranges from $40 – $75
- If your house has more than 2-stories, expect to pay a surcharge for 3rd and 4th-story windows
- If you need to remove mineral deposits or hard water stains, you’ll pay $20 per window
To estimate your window cleaning costs, count the number of standard-size windows in your home and multiply by $10 for exterior-only cleaning and $13 for exterior and interior cleaning. If you have 20 windows, you can expect to pay around $200 to $260. You can also add $15 for each sliding door or sizable decorative window.
Commercial Window Cleaning Prices
Commercial window cleaning is often a little higher priced than residential, with costs ranging from $5 to $15 per window. Some commercial cleaners charge by the hour with rates in the $40-$60 range. Cleaning costs for high-rise windows are an average of $170 per hour.
What to Consider Before Hiring Professional Window Cleaners
Because no two window cleaning companies offer the same services, it’s essential to set clear expectations before hiring.
If you need the interior and exterior of your windows cleaned, ensure the company you choose offers this service – some only clean exterior windows. Likewise, if you’re expecting a company to clean your screens, sills, shutters, or tracks, you need to ask beforehand. Some professional window cleaners only perform these tasks as add-on services.
Most window cleaning companies offer a free consultation, book one to develop clear expectations.
What Does Window Cleaning Service Include?
A basic window cleaning service includes cleaning the exterior windows, costing $5-$11 per window. Some companies include screen cleaning for this price, while others charge extra.
Window cleaning add-on packages can include interior cleaning, sills, tracks, and shutters.
Hiring Professional Window Washers vs. Doing it Yourself
Most window washers use simple water and soap mixtures and a window scrubber and squeegee. While this is a job you can likely do yourself, there are benefits to hiring professional window washers:
- Hire professionals if you have a multiple-story house and aren’t comfortable standing on a ladder to clean
- It’s wise to hire professionals if you never get around to cleaning your windows or don’t want to do it yourself
- Window washers have experience in cleaning without damage, which can prolong the life of your windows
How Often to Have Your Windows Cleaned
The frequency of cleaning your windows depends on the climate and location. In general, having your exterior windows cleaned once to twice per year will keep your frames and screens in ideal condition. But, if you live near the ocean or in the middle of the woods and your windows get dirty quickly, a quarterly service is the best option.