Creating A Coastal Themed Decor With A Rattan Coffee Table
Rattan is a material that’s often associated with outside furniture, especially since its synthetic version possesses so many qualities and properties that make it weather-resistant. But natural rattan is a great option for indoor furniture as well, especially if you’re looking to decorate a beach/coastal-themed room.
For more info on choosing the best rattan coffee table, but also a short maintenance guide, keep reading this article!
Top 3 Picks
Best for outdoor use: Almyra Block Coffee Table
If you ever wanted to make an outdoor sitting area for enjoying your coffee, this table is made from weather-resistant rattan and built upon a rust-proof aluminum frame, so it’s definitely up for the challenge.
Most interesting design: Vernie Coffee Table with Storage
With its trunk-inspired shape and leather and antique brass accents, you have to love how much effort was put into creating the design of the Vernie coffee table.
Customer’s choice: Anglesey Abstract Coffee Table
“Love, love, love this table! Very modern, fits into almost any living space, and is family friendly. We get many compliments on this table.” (Customer review)
How to Choose a Coffee Table
Rattan or not, choosing a coffee table takes a little bit more than just seeing a nice-looking model and buying it. Aside from bringing a room together from an aesthetic point of view, a coffee table also needs to be practical, so here’s what you should take a look into before buying one:
- Consider what you’ll be using the table for. If you want one for your living room, you might want to go with a more formal model (in case that matches your existing decor, of course). If you want a coffee table for the family room, you want to go with a sturdier model, maybe even one with some storage space.
- If you have kids, your coffee table should be able to take a beating. Avoid glass tops because they are likely to break, but also prone to scratches and fingerprint attraction.
- There are lots of people that want their coffee table to be the centerpiece of a room but, in order to make that happen, you are going to have to consider the style, material, size, and the color/surface finish. Chances are that a drum round coffee table made from pinewood with zero ornaments and details won’t stand out very much.
- The materials that are used to make a coffee table will have a say in determining the advantages and drawbacks of the table. Before choosing a table made from a certain material, you also need to take a look around the room and see what fits. Glass tables are great from making small rooms appear bigger. Darker woods or metal are great for traditional-style rooms. Tables made with leather and faux leather are easier to clean. Whatever you choose, keep in mind that households with children need to have safe pieces of furniture.
- You might be wondering about the size and shape of the table, so here are some tips that might help. Oval and rectangular tables are best for small rooms, while round and square coffee tables work best in setups where you have large seating configurations (for instance, placed in front of a large sectional). You definitely want to go for oval and round tables if you have kids because they lack corners, which pose a risk of injury. As far as height is concerned, the consensus is that a coffee table should be of the same height as the armchair/sofa seat (can be lower, but never higher).
- Consider the fact that some coffee tables come with certain extras that might actually be of use to you. Storage compartments are awesome if there are certain things that you often want to get out of the way, but still want them to have nearby (remote controls are the best example here). Lift-top coffee tables have tabletop that can be lifted to a height that makes it comfortable for you to eat or work at your coffee table. Caster wheels are excellent if you find yourself in situations where you often have to move the table back and forth.
Related: What is the difference between wicker and rattan furniture?
How to Clean a Rattan Coffee Table
Known for being one of the most flexible tropical palms, rattan is pretty easy to shape into furniture once its outer skin has been peeled, thus making it more flexible. Eco-friendly and suitable for making both indoor and outdoor furniture, rattan has definitely become one of the most common choices of today’s furniture industry.
Since rattan coffee tables and other pieces of furniture made with this material use weaving techniques, the nooks and crannies make it a little more difficult to get rattan surfaces clean, so here are some tips on cleaning your rattan coffee table:
- You are going to have to remove dust once a week using either a disposable duster or a microfiber. If you don’t, it’s very easy for dirt to build up in the weaving.
- If you have to clean a food or drink spill, you should do so immediately. Avoid rubbing in the stain because it will only push them deeper into the surface of the material.
- For solid stains, you want to use a dull knife or a spoon to lift them. Then, using a microfiber cloth, just wipe the surface down.
- A toothbrush can go a long way in helping you remove stains from your rattan coffee table if they’ve managed to dry out. Then, rub the surface clean using a drop of dishwashing solution and a damp microfiber cloth.
- Your rattan coffee table should receive a more thorough cleaning once a month. You can make your own cleaning solution by dropping one spoon of dishwashing solution into a bowl/bucket filled with four cups of warm water. Grab a second bowl/bucket and fill it with fresh water for rinsing. With a microfiber cloth dipped in the suds of the first bowl, wipe down your rattan coffee table. If you notice there is any build-up in the weaving, use a toothbrush to remove it. Whatever you do, avoid over-soaking your rattan coffee table.
Note: Once a year, you should inspect your rattan coffee table for problems, such as broken areas, mildew, or mold. These are problems likely to appear if the humidity inside the room is too high. You can also condition your rattan using linseed oil.
Preserving Your Rattan Coffee Table
If you really like how your brand new rattan coffee table looks, then you definitely want to preserve it for as long as possible, so here are some tips that will help:
- Avoid dragging your rattan coffee table across the floor. Instead, lift it evenly from both sides to avoid putting too much strain on the fibers.
- The legs of your rattan coffee table are bound to last longer if you use felt pads or rubber caps under each of them. This helps prevent splitting and excessive wear.
- Rattan is a material that will underperform in environments that are too dry or too humid.
- Should any sunlight fall directly on your rattan coffee table, try to rotate it or move it around. If you don’t, the part that always stays in the sun is bound to fade.
Best Rattan Coffee Tables
Anglesey Abstract Round Rattan Coffee Table
A round rattan coffee table is always a good choice whenever you want a discreet piece of furniture to complement the decor of your room. This one right here is made from rattan, providing a simple construction with a tight weave that’s bound to offer enough room for placing a tray with coffee and beverages, holding some magazines, your remote control, phone and, with the right cushion, could even be turned into an ottoman for your legs.
- Four color options.
- Lightweight and easy to move.
- Great for coastal-themed rooms.
- Surface not stable (could use a glass tabletop).
Northside Rectangular Coffee Table
From a distance, the weaving on this rattan coffee table almost makes it look like it’s covered in wool fibers. That’s one of the qualities that rattan possesses: the flexibility that makes it easy to weave it in many different styles. For those of you looking for a rectangular rattan coffee table, the Northside might be just the thing. It’s available in a bunch of bold colors and comes with solid wood legs that are easy to screw at the bottom.
- Beautiful natural color options.
- Easy to assemble.
- Child-friendly construction.
- Can’t support too much weight.
Vernie Coffee Table with Storage
We fell in love with this trunk-shaped rattan coffee table the second we saw it, as the details are just exquisite and pleasant to look at! Inspired by vintage trunk designs, this coffee table is designed with two drawers that provide concealed storage for magazines, remote controls, DVDs, or whatever you feel belongs in here. It has a rustic appeal to it and arrives fully assembled, so you get to enjoy it the minute you unbox it. Plus, the leather and antique brass accents are just the cherry on top of the cake. This coffee table measures 40 x 18 x 23.5 inches.
- Gorgeous vintage-style design.
- 2 drawers useful for storage.
- Arrives fully assembled.
- Complaints about pieces arriving with a loose bottom.
Nobles Lift Top Round Rattan Coffee Table with Storage
Another round rattan coffee table that you’re bound to love if you’re looking for models that offer additional storage space. The noble, for example, comes with a wood tabletop lid that can be lifted in order to reveal a generous storage compartment. What we like about this round rattan coffee table isn’t even the extra storage, but the smooth surface of the top that makes it easy to hold your cups and glasses without the need to use a tray. The coffee table has 33 inches in diameter and a little under 16 inches in height.
- Smooth tabletop surface.
- Lid enclosure for storage compartment.
- Easy to assemble.
- Price considered too high for the quality.
Brasfield Solid Coffee Table with Storage
Handcrafted in Indonesia, this is a rattan coffee table that could easily find its way into a coastal or a Boho-themed room. Made from Kubu rattan, this coffee table is pretty interesting considering it’s made from material that develops a natural gray color due to being buried underground for some time. It is constructed with a solid mahogany frame that makes it so sturdy, it can support up to 400 pounds in weight. With its trunk shape, the top can be lifted to reveal a generous storage compartment.
- Plenty of weight support.
- Concealed storage.
- Made with quality materials.
- Surface not smooth, requires using a food tray for drinks.
Rainey Coffee Table
One of the biggest problems with rattan coffee tables, as you might have guessed already, is the weave that makes the top uneven and often unsuitable for holding recipients filled with drinks. The Rainey coffee table solves that problem using a glass table top that perfectly compliments the rest of its rattan construction. It comes with an interesting weave that makes the table rich in detail, plus an open storage shelf located on the bottom side of the table. The table measures 42.5 x 19 x 24 inches and the storage shelf is 12-inch high.
- Solid tempered glass top.
- Additional open storage at the bottom.
- Excellent quality.
- Glass surface is a fingerprint magnet.
Brisa Coffee Table With Glasstop
The Brisa coffee table found its way into today’s list because of its solid construction and beautiful design. Much like the previous model, this one also features a tempered glass top which provides a smooth surface that offers stability for your drinks, but might be a hassle to clean since it will easily attract oil from your fingerprints. It measures 18” H x 42” L x 22” W and combines materials such as twisted water hyacinth fibers and rustic skin-on rattan poles.
- Smooth tempered glass top.
- Quality materials.
- 2 color options.
- Low weight capacity (80 pounds).
Dortch Coffee Table
As far as rectangular rattan coffee tables are concerned, this has to be one of our favorites. It has a nostalgic vibe to it, created with weather-resistant materials that make it suitable for both indoor and outdoor use. It comes with a full-length lower shelf to help you store whatever you feel should be here. It measures 17” H x 28.5” L x 17” W and can support a total weight of 200 pounds, which should be enough considering this is a coffee table, after all.
- Weather-resistant construction.
- Full-length open storage shelf.
- High weight capacity.
- Questionable long-term durability.
Almyra Block Coffee Table
The Almyra coffee table sports a rather simple design, yet its construction makes it one of the best outdoor rattan coffee tables for its prices. It’s made with weather-resistant wicker, so there’s no need to worry about rain or sun exposure. It is built upon a rust-proof aluminum frame, so durability is definitely not a problem. The top is made with tempered glass, offering an even surface for placing drinks and snacks without having to use a tray. It measures 18” H x 33” L x 22” W and weighs 20 pounds, so it’s pretty easy to move around if needed.
- Weather-resistant construction.
- Even tempered glass tabletop.
- Rust-proof aluminum frame.
- Darker than pictured, only 1 color option.
Rectangular Exuma Coffee Table
The Exuma coffee table is another sight for sore eyes, one that’s designed exclusive for indoor use. Made in Indonesia, this table measures 18” H x 43” L x 24” W and comes with a full-length shelf at the bottom so that you can place your books, magazines, remote control, other devices, and even some small plant pots. It comes with a glass table top that makes it easy for the table to hold your drink without the need for a food tray.
- Glass tabletop.
- Full-length storage shelf.
- Eco-friendly rattan construction.
- Glass top is a fingerprint magnet.
Sephina Frame Coffee Table
With a stunning hourglass-shape silhouette, the Sephina is another round rattan coffee table that’s bound to impress you and pretty much everyone else that walks into the room. It measured 15.74” H x 31.49” L x 31.49” W and weighs a mere 9.3 pounds, so it’s pretty easy to move around if there is ever a need for it. We aren’t given any info on how much weight it can support, which is a real bummer, but we do love the black finish that’s pretty easy to match with different room colors.
- Child-friendly design.
- Lightweight and easy to move.
- No assembly required.
- Feels pretty fragile.
Mar Vista Block Coffee Table
The Mar Vista rattan coffee table is yet another viable option for those of you with a coastal decor. The tapered square silhouette and the different finish options are two of the aesthetic reasons why so many people choose to buy this product. With its textured water hyacinth braid, this table measures 15.75” H x 32” L x 32” W and can support a total weight of 75 pounds.
- 3 color options.
- Arrives fully assembled.
- Low weight capacity.
As you can see, there are so many options to choose from if you’re looking to buy a rattan coffee table. The most important thing to remember here is that natural rattan furniture is suitable for indoor use, so if you want a coffee table to place outdoors, you’re going to have to opt for synthetic rattan, which is weather-resistant. Other than that, you have to keep in mind that rattan requires periodic care, as all the nooks and crannies are bound to attract dirt, dust, and debris.