Garment Rack Ideas That Show Off Your Stylish Wardrobe
A garment rack is a great way to organize the clothing pieces that you have just ironed or those that are meant to stay in a vertical position (like coats or dresses). It can fit into a walk-in closet or can act as a free-standing structure somewhere in the bedroom, so it’s mostly a matter of personal taste and whether or not you want your clothes to stay in plain sight. But what do you have to look out for when you buy such a product and what are some of the best garment racks that money can buy right now?
Features to Look Out For
It’s important to know what you’re going to use a garment rack for because some of them come with extendable rods that allow you to place more large clothing pieces, while others are smaller and are best-suited for stuff like shirts of dresses. As you’re scouting the market for a new garment rack, here are some of the features that might make or break the deal:
- The weight capacity of a garment rack is a super-important and decisive shopping factor. If you want to store your winter coats, then the rack needs to be able to support more weight, while lighter-weight clothes don’t demand racks with a large weight capacity. Some rack some with shelves and if you plan to use those shelves for multiple shoes or accessories, you’re going to have to consider the combined weight for whatever you’re going to store on those shelves.
- The construction material plays an important part in the durability of the product, but it can also determine other factors, such as the size of the rack or whether or not it’s foldable and easy to store. Metal racks, for instance, are available in folding version, but wooden racks require that you take them apart completely if you want to store them away. The most common materials that are used to make clothing racks include wood, metal, heavy-duty plastic, canvas fabrics, and others.
- It’s very likely for a metal garment rack to include caster wheels, but not all of them do and it’s not just metal racks that have them. Having wheels is important for those of you that plan to move the racks around the house and, no matter how heavy they are, they’re just easy to push/pull across the floor. Just make sure that the wheels can be locked so the rack doesn’t just randomly move around when it isn’t supposed to.
- Depending on the model chosen, some garment racks come with adjustable clothing rods, so if you want to customize your rack, this is a feature you want to consider. Adjustability of a garment rack comes in many different forms: you can adjust the bars to make it higher or lower, you can adjust the clothing rod to make it shorter or longer, while some even allow you to adjust the height of the shelves.
Related: 12 Best Closet Kits That’ll Make Your Space Feel So Much Bigger
Types of Garment Racks
Now that you know what are the features to look out for, let’s considered some of the most common garment rack categories on the market so that you can determine which of them meet your needs:
- Metal racks are extremely common and most of them are made with heavy-duty metal for more stability and durability. Those of you looking for lighter-weight metal can look into powder-coated finishes. In the end, keep in mind that the weight capacity is super important, regardless of whether you choose a strong steel rack or not.
- Wooden racks are a more traditional option, but they fit so well in traditional, rustic, coastal, boho, or other types of specific decors. Most of them are equipped with shelves and, once installed, aren’t easy to take apart or move around (unless they are equipped with wheels, of course). Wooden garment racks make it easier to add shelves if needed, as all it takes is drilling some holes into the frame and adding custom-made shelves that fit.
- Plastic garment racks are for people who are on a budget. They are lighter in weight compared to the other two types, but they are less durable than either of the two as well. It’s common to witness rods on plastic racks starting to sag, so if you’re interested in more durability, look for PVC racks.
- Single-bar garment racks are pretty much the industry standard. They can be recognized by having a single bar that runs across the top of the rack, with a rod diameter that’s suitable for your standard hanger. They are pretty simple in terms of design and almost all models have wheels.
- Double-rail garment rack is for those of you that plan to hang a lot of clothes. There are different ways in which those two rods can be placed, such as two bars angled at the top or one at the top and another one halfway down.
- Z-racks are pretty stable and that’s one of the reasons why they gained so much popularity. They are designed with an asymmetric base that’s literally shaped like the letter Z, which creates a sturdier base for garment racks.
- Tripod garment racks have three legs with typically one pole with multiple arms. These racks are pretty stable and there are plenty of foldable options that you can collapse and store away when not in use.
The Best Garment Rack Ideas
Commercial Grade Double Rail Garment
Our first suggestion is a chrome-finish garment rack that carries 60 pounds in weight and measures 50 x 60 x 22 inches. It comes with an extensible rod that goes all the way from 51 to 75 inches, giving you more than enough storage space for plenty of hangers. This commercial-grade product is made from heavy-duty steel and can support 250 pounds in weight. It’s also equipped with caster wheels for easier movement.
Next up, we have a stylish garment rack that’s also made from steel and features a chrome-finish. It measures 64 x 24 x 70 inches and comes with a Z base for better rack nesting, giving you more storage freedom. It’s pretty easy to assemble, and the three-part Z-shaped base can be snapped together in minutes. There are caster wheels that allow you to push and pull the rack as needed.
Collapsible Clothing Rack-Commercial Grade
Having a folding garment rack is useful for a variety of different situations, especially when you’re interested in portability or when you don’t plan on using it all the time and want to get it out of the way. This particular model is an aluminum-made rack that measures 50 x 22 x 60 inches and has a total weight of 23.4 pounds. It can fold down to a mere 5 inches, can support a total weight of 250 pounds, and comes with wheels for easier movement.
Musser Clothes Racks and Garment Racks
Searching for a garment rack with shelves? How about this brilliant Rebrilliant product that comes with a lower shelf for storing shoes or bags? It is designed with an A-shaped frame, made from metal and in a beautiful black finish. It comes with an extensible rod to store more hangers on top of it, and it has a foldable design so you can store it when you’re not using it.
Mcmath 36” W Garment Rack
Once again from Rebrilliant, we bring you the Mcmath garment rack. It is made entirely out of metal and has a beautiful gray finish that looks elegant and chic. It is a double-rack product, with one rod at the top of the pack and the other one positioned at the middle. There are two bottom rods that act as a shelf where you can store shoes, bag, or boxes. It can support a total weight of 50 pounds and measures 73 x 36 x 19.5 inches.
Chromed Garment Rack
Having a garment rack is essential when you have a bunch of closet storage space, when you want to transport clothes in pristine condition, or when your bedroom setup demands having you wardrobe exposed for the color diversity and contemporary décor style. This one with here can hold up to 74 hangers thanks to the extensible rod it’s equipped with. It’s made entirely out of metal and comes with a beautiful chrome finish. There are caster wheels to move it around with ease, but also comes with a collapsible design so you can store it easier.
Derek 25.19 Garment Rack
For those of you looking for a garment rack with shelves, we have added Derek to this list. It is a stylish rack made with a shelf from manufactured wood, with a beautiful A-shaped silhouette that easily blends into multiple closet and bedroom decors. The angled frame keeps your clothes away from walls. You can find it in a black/dark brown finish or a white/brown finish. It can store about 25 standard hangers and 10 suit coat hangers.
Wayfair Basics 36″ W Garment Rack
This Wayfair Basics garment rack with shelves is another convenient way of keeping your shirts, suits, dresses, and coats nice and tidy. This 73.5” H x 36” W x 18” D garment rack is made with a heavy-duty steel frame and sits on top of four wheels for easier manipulation. You have a top and a bottom shelf for storing shoes, boxes, or other accessories. The chrome finish is impeccable and the weight capacity of the garment rack is 100 pounds.
Kovac 49.21″ W Wardrobe Storage Closet
If you find that a garment rack isn’t enough, how about investing in a storage closet? These are pretty much the same price as a quality rack, but they offer more versatility in terms of storage, as you get hanging rods and different shelves for organizing your clothes and accessories. This one right here is made from canvas and comes with beautiful paw prints that you’re going to love. You get zipper access to the interior part of the closet, and there are fabric ties located on the sides to keep it open while you look for your outfit for the day.
Diego 12.6″ W Garment Rack
Some garment racks are made from metal, while others have a beautiful wooden construction, and such is the case of the Diego. This is a garment rack with shelves and a fixed wooden rack that can hold up to 24 standard hangers and 9 suit and coat hangers. Designed from manufactured wood, this beautiful garment rack comes with three storage shelves, two of them located on the bottom side and one located at the top. It measures 47.2” H x 23.62” W x 12.6” D and can support a total weight of 61 pounds.
Bevill 48″ W 3 Tier Rolling Garment Rack
We bring you yet another cool metal garment rack, this time with adjustable shelves and plenty of storage space for you to work with. Aside from the traditional design of a garment rack, this one also comes with four hooks on the side, from hanging hats, scarfs, bags, belt, and whatever other accessories you see fit. Each one of the three shelves can support a total weight of 150 pounds, which is nothing short of impressive.
Bowman 27″ W Clothes Rack
This garment rack sports a design that’s a little bit different compared to what we’ve shown you so far. It’s made from metal and comes with plenty of storage space. It features plenty of hooks for hanging your coats and accessories, bottom shelves for your shoes, and one additional shelf for boxes and the likes. It measures 75” x 27” x 14” and has a total weight capacity of 50 pounds.
36″ W Garment Rack Cover
Made from canvas, this garment rack cover is for those of you that want to keep the clothes on their existing garment rack protected. Made from 65 percent polyester and 35 percent cotton, this cover doesn’t include the rack itself, so you will have to purchase that separately. It’s basically a solution for those of you that already own a compatible garment rack and could make use of this 65.5” x 36” x 18” cover.
Southmead 17.72″ W Portable Closet Storage
Our last suggestion for today is a garment rack and cover combo. We’re talking about a portable storage solution that’s covered in fabric and comes with sturdy steel pipes that are put together to create a variety of storage solutions with various-sized shelves and a rod for your hangers. The cover is waterproof so it will keep moisture away from your garments. Overall, this baby measures 68.9” x 17.72” x 50” and weighs a total of 7.72 pounds.
As you might have already notice, the market isn’t shy of different types of garment racks, so finding something suitable to your tastes shouldn’t be too complicated as long as you have the patience to look into some product and not just buy the first one you see. From metal to wood, from foldable to shelf-packed, garment racks are a great way to store or even transport your clothes, and they could make a wonderful addition to your closet or bedroom.