Yes, there is such a thing as fire pit chairs. First of all, outdoor chairs need to have a different construction compared to indoor models. Furthermore, chairs designed to be used around a fire pit also have different specifications compared to those designed for patio use.
If you own or plan to install a fire pit, having special chairs is mandatory if you want to be able to make the best out of this setup and spend time outdoors, close to the fire. Today, we’re going to tackle the subject of what makes fire pit chairs different and show you some of the products we really loved.
Top 3 Picks
Customer’s Choice: Burgan Solid Wood Adirondack Chair
“Love, love, love these chairs! They were easy to put together and they have a beautiful rustic look, sturdy, and they’re comfy.” (Customer review)
With the perfect height that allows you to comfortably sit by the fire with a blanket covering your legs, the Bethune set of two plastic chairs is a winner in terms of price-to-quality ratio.
Most Comfortable: Maisy Patio Chair with Cushions
Since there’s no point in having a beautiful chair if it’s not comfortable to sit in, the Maisy is a clear winner in terms of comfort, with cushioning for both the seat and the backrest.
What to Look For
When you’re on the market looking to purchase some fire pit chairs, here are the features to look out for to ensure a proper and frustration-free purchase:
- How you’re going to use the chair is the first thing to keep in mind. While some people purchase chairs exclusively for fire pit use, others would like to be able to use them in other situations as well, such as placing them on the patio or taking them camping. If so, consider what features the chair should have to fulfill the other purposes. For example, if you want a chair that can be taken camping, foldable models are compact and occupy less space during transportation.
- Comfort is another thing to keep in mind. Even if fire pit chairs aren’t usually designed for everyday use, you want you, your family, and your guests to sit around the fire as comfortable as possible. You might find chairs with interesting models and cute patterns, but they aren’t of much value to you if you can’t sit on them for more than 30 minutes without pain somewhere in your body. Cushioned chairs are excellent for this situation or, if the chairs you want have a solid seating area, considering purchasing some separate cushions.
- Keep in mind that these chairs will sit relatively close to the fire, so be very wary of flammable materials. Foldable camping chairs that are mostly made from fabric sitting on a metal frame are comfortable, but they are also the first ones to catch fire if the wind blows sparks on them. You want chairs made from materials that won’t light up in flames with every chance they get. Certain wooden and metal chairs are much more suitable for fire pit use.
- Fire pit chairs are usually shorter compared to patio chairs, which are designed with longer feet and seating farther away from the ground, so that you can comfortably sit behind a normal-height table.
Fire Pit Safety Tips
Before starting a fire in a fire pit, you need to consider a few basic safety rules that can ensure you and everyone around you has the best experience with minimal risk exposure:
- Wind conditions are important before starting an outdoor fire. You don’t want to use your fire pit on windy days because sparks could easily be blown away and can land on something flammable. It also makes it more difficult to light the kindling. Make sure you’re seated on the upwind side of the pit, otherwise you’ll likely be bothered by the smoke.
- You need to avoid lighting the fire underneath… well, anything. You don’t want any tree branches hanging above the fire pit or any building overhangs above the fire. Keep in mind that it’s not difficult for wind to blow sparks out the fire pit and start a fire when landing on debris, dry wood, structures, etc.
- Avoid burning construction lumber. The best way to start a fire in your outdoor fire pit is to use sawed-off branches or by special logs and hardwood kindling. Note that certain softwoods also work, but they will not burn as efficiently as hardwoods (in a sense that they make more smoke and give off more sparks). Whatever you do, avoid woods such as MDF, plywood, posts, wooden pallets that have been treated with chemicals, and other such similar wood pieces. Construction lumber is usually covered in adhesives, chemical substances, resins, and other stuff that emits toxic fumes when set on fire.
- Always have something nearby that can help you extinguish flames that might get out of control. If you follow all the necessary safety rules, it’s likely that you can contain the fire with ease, but in case something does go out of hand, you want to be prepared. Shovels and water are good items to keep nearby, as water can quench the fire in case of an emergency and the shovel can be used to throw some dirt on the flames. Fire blankets are another good item to have because they can smother a blaze.
- If you plan on roasting marshmallows above the fire, make sure that there aren’t any flammable objects that could catch fire. Chairs should be kept at a distance, long hair should be tied up, and sleeves should be rolled, just for safety.
- Whatever you do, don’t leave the fire unattended, not even when the fire has died down and you only notice a few glowing embers. Always delegate someone to supervise the fire if you need to go to the bathroom or put out the fire completely if you are alone and there is no one left to supervise it. It’s not unusual for tiny flames to spark into a large fire.
Best Fire Pit Chairs For A Cool Backyard Setup
The first suggestion of the day is a set of two chairs that have a cottage-style appeal to them. They are available in multiple color options, including blue, black, red, white, and even a weathered wood option. Both of the chairs are made with plastic resin and feature quality metal hardware pieces. The construction makes the chairs weather-resistant and easy to clean (by wiping them using a damp cloth and mild soap). They can support 250 pounds in weight each and measure 34.65” H x 29.53” W x 34.25” D. The chairs are both foldable and measure 45.67″ L x 29.92 W” x 10.04″ H when in a compact state.
- Foldable and easy to store.
- Easy to clean.
- Some screws don’t stay in place too well.
Another great Adirondack chair is this single piece that has a natural wood finish and would complement a lot of outdoor fire pit setups. This is basically the wooden version of the chairs we saw in the earlier set, having a similar design, but with noticeable differences. This non-foldable chair is made from solid wood and can support up to 250 pounds in weight. It is water and rust-resistant, and has a beautiful appeal due to the wood knots that are naturally present in the material. The chair measures 36” H x 35” W x 26.25” D and is available in other colors as well.
- Made from quality cedarwood.
- Can be painted easily.
- Rust and water-resistant.
- Not UV resistant.
Cushioned seating is always optimal in terms of comfort, and it sure beats sitting directly on a piece of wood, metal, or plastic. The Maisy chairs are great for sitting for long hours in front of the fire because they come with cushions and they have a beautiful and pretty durable construction. This set consists of two chairs that are built on a steel frame, combining exposed metal legs with a rattan seating and backrest. The cushions are waterproof and can be removed for easy cleaning. Each of the two chairs in the set measures 30.71” H x 24.41” W x 25.59” D.
- Comfortable cushioning.
- Removable cushion covers.
- Powder-coated steel frame.
- Still require water protection when not in use.
The minute you lay eyes on the Tapscott set of two chairs, you know you’re going to be comfortable seated in these. Measuring 37.25” H x 28” W x 31.5” D per piece, the construction of these chairs also combines an exposed metal frame and a rattan seating and backrest, offering superior comfort. Unlike the previous model, the cushions don’t have ties, so you can’t attach them to the chair. The cushions are covered and filled with polyester and the covers can be removed and cleaned with ease. Note that each of the chairs can support up to 300 pounds in weight, which is quite a lot in comparison with other models.
- Removable and washable covers.
- Cushions included with set.
- Sturdy metal frame.
- Backrest cushion should be bigger.
You are going to fall in love with the Stinchcomb patio chairs that can easily be dragged in front of the fire pit so that you can enjoy quality relaxation time spent outdoors. These chairs have a smooth slat panel design and come with seating and backrest cushions that are water-resistant. They are made from acacia wood and the polyester-covered cushions are filled with comfortable foam. Each of the chairs can support up to 300 pounds in weight and measures 28” H x 31” W x 30” D per piece.
- Support up to 300 pounds in weight.
- Comfortable foam-filled cushions.
- Water-resistant cushion covers.
- Advertised as patio chairs, but are too low for table use.
The Yoshida set of two chairs is definitely giving us something to talk about today. Made from sturdy iron, each of these two chairs has a shell-like backrest and a construction that’s bound to last for years to come. These water-resistant chairs have a mesh-like design that makes them highly breathable due to the many holes found in the construction. Each chair measures 33.75” H x 28.75” W x 28.75” D and is available in four different color options.
- Highly-durable metal construction.
- Breathable mesh-style design.
- 300 pounds weight capacity.
- Armless and not the most comfortable choice.
Choosing a good fire pit chair isn’t complicated, but it’s really important that you follow all the safety rules that are listed in the first half of this article. There’s no joking around with fire and what initially seems like a controlled situation could easily escalate due to factors such as strong wind or leaving the fire unsupervised. Keep in mind that even the best fire pit chairs need to be kept at a distance from the fire.