Over the years, it maybe a little too easy to collect a menagerie of paint samples leftover from home renovations and DIY projects passed. Instead of tossing that file folder of colorful goodness, why not put those swatches to work as graphic art? Colorful paint swatches when placed side-by-side make such the striking and playful statement. Just three materials are all you’ll need to create a custom art piece for your home in under a 1/2 hour. I mean, what’s not to love?
- Blank fabric-wrapped canvas. Here we’ve used a 24″ x 24″ square canvas. (Available at most art and craft stores.)
- Paint swatches in a variety of colors. To create a consistent grid pattern, it’s best if they’re all the same brand with a uniform size and shape. You may need to make a run to the paint or home improvement store for multiples of the same color.
- Glue dots or any kind of clear adhesive
1. Lay out paint swatches on your canvas: one horizontal row along the top + one vertical column along the left edge, leaving am empty border along the edges of the canvas.
2. Decide how you’d like to layout the colors: random, color gradation, row by row, etc. Then fill in the paint swatches in the rows and columns outlined in step 1. You’re striving for a consistent grid pattern, with uniform margins in between swatches. Here we’ve used a 1/8″ – 1/4″ margin between swatches.
3. Once you’re satisfied with how the paint swatches are laid out and the color distribution, apply a glue dot to each swatch and adhere to the canvas. If swatches are warped, you might need glue dots in each of the four corners to keep them lying flat on the canvas.
4. Find a blank wall in your home that needs some love, and hang your completed art!