Paper star lanterns can be spotted shining bright in Scandinavian home windows come December as a way to welcome family and friends on dark winter nights. Originally a Nordic tradition, star lanterns are finding their way into homes across the globe, and for good reason–they’re beautiful and budget friendly!
- 1 Sheet of poster board
- 1 Ikea cord light set
- Low temperature light bulb
- 1/8″ hole punch
- X-acto knife
- Cutting mat
- Pen or pencil
- Clear tape
- Star Lantern Template: Download HERE.
1. Print the template. Cut out the star and octagon using a combination of scissors, X-acto knife, and hole punch.
2. Trace two stars and one octagon on the backside of the poster board.
3. Cut out the stars and octagon, including the slits on the center of the octagon (the slits will hold the light bulb/cord kit).
4. Place the octagon face down on your work surface so the short ends point to the top and bottom of your work surface. Fold the top and bottom edges back 1/4″.
5. Tape the octagon’s flap to the backside of the top point of the star, positioned above the 4-pointed star and below the 3 circles.
6. Tape the gold side of the octagon to the star as well. Repeat Steps 5 & 6 with the other star, so the octagon is suspended between the two stars.
7. Feed the light bulb/cord set through the opening created by the slits at the center of the octagon. Plug in the light and hang at the window.