Looking for a fun way to dress up that plain old toss pillow? Using scraps of fabric, sew these simple flowers to create a lush embellished toss pillow that will quickly spruce up any space! Perfect to dress up your plain old sofa or a lovely outdoor space like a front porch. Get creative with the placement of the florals and make a few!
Fabric Flower Pillow Supplies:
- pillow (use a plan pillow, can be handmade or store bought)
- fabric scraps
- thick thread or pearl cotton
- needle with a large eye for the thick cotton
1. Cut a piece of scrap fabric in a strip and accordion fold the entire strip
2. Keeping the fabric folded by pinching at the bottom, cut the top of the fold into a petal. Make sure to keep the pieces of fabric attached at the bottom by not cutting the petal too deep and leaving a line across the bottom. Unfold the piece of fabric and ensure that all of the petals were cut out separate from one another but still attached to the bottom line.
3. Using a needle and long piece of thread knotted at the end, sew a line along the bottom of the petals. Continue to sew until you reach the end of the petals.
4. Push all of the fabric towards the threaded knot and pull the thread tight. Make one last stitch at the start of the petals to close the circle and create a flower. Tie off the thread there but leave excess string to later attach to the pillow. Repeat steps 1-4 for more flowers to create a lush pillow!
5. Using the leftover thread off the flower and your needle, sew each flower to the pillow. Add as many flowers as desired in any type of grouping you like!
Have fun with a monochromatic or ombre floral theme. Or create multicolored florals or a brighter pop on the pillow. Use various fabrics with different textures and patterns (like we did here- a combination of lace, sheer fabrics, and cottons) to really customize the pillow! After you’re done making some for you, make a few for family and friends!