Tossing and turning, trying to sleep: That’s how nearly one-third of the population spends the night, according to the National Institutes of Health. While medical conditions account for a certain percentage as do stress-related issues, oftentimes the ticket to a restful night can be finding the best mattress topper for side sleepers, in particular.
Why do side sleepers need to pay special attention to the firmness of their mattress? First of all, this is the most common sleep position according to researchers, with a little more than half of all adults in sleep studies choosing to sleep on their sides. In fact, scientists say that this preference increases with age as well as body mass index. The Sleep Doctor notes that “In general, sleep position matters more with age. Older adults face more health challenges, including challenges to sleep. Older bodies are less flexible and more prone to stiffness and pain.”
Despite the fact that this sleep position becomes more common as people grow older, it can also put more stress on those aging bones and joints. The parts of the body that have the most contact with the sleep surface – called the pressure points – are the hips and shoulders for side sleepers. If the mattress is too hard, it can cause pain in those areas and contribute to general back pain. If the mattress is too soft, you might be able to sleep but may wake up with aches and pains.
When lying on a properly supportive mattress, your spine should be aligned in a straight line, called a neutral position. This is a good position because it cuts down on snoring and occurrences of sleep apnea, says WebMD. Side sleepers generally fall into two categories: The most common is the fetal opposition, where the body is curled up on its side. The other style of side sleeping is called the log, where the body is stretched out and the arms are down along the body.
If it’s time to shop for a new mattress, University of Utah sleep expert Dr. Milton Chua recommends lying on the mattress just as you would when you go to sleep. Even better, try to purchase one from a store or vendor that gives you a 30-day trial period – and don’t feel bad if you have to return it.
There’s no need to fret if a new mattress is not in the budget. The right mattress topper can make a world of difference when it comes to improving sleep. A wide range of options is available, from different topper thicknesses and types of materials to memory foam mattress toppers. So which kind to choose? Here is a list of the best mattress toppers for side sleepers.
Stop Losing and Turning with These 7 Best Mattress Toppers for Side Sleepers
Side sleepers will love the ISOLUS Ventilated Gel Memory Foam Mattress Topper from Malouf for its comfort and support. The open-cell memory foam in this 2.5-inch topper is gel-infused, which means it sleeps cooler than plain memory foam toppers, which notoriously retain heat. In fact, some reviewers raved about the comfort of this particular topper. This one is also ventilated to help airflow and heat distribution.
An added bonus to this ISOLUS topper is that it comes with a soft bamboo rayon cover that is breathable, hypoallergenic and mildew proof. While the topper itself can only be spot cleaned, the protective cover is easily removed and washable. The products are also CertiPUR Certified safe and environmentally responsible. Malouf also covers the topper with a three-year warranty against manufacturer’s defects.
- Happy reviewers found the 2.5-inch thickness to be just right for comfort and support.
- The breathable bamboo rayon cover is a big bonus.
- Some buyers found that they still slept too hot with this gel-infused topper.
- A number of buyers reported that the sizing was off and the topper was too short and narrow for the mattress size indicated.
2. eLuxurySupply Rayon from Bamboo Extra Thick Mattress Pad with Fitted Skirt – Extra Plush Cooling Topper
Of course, not everyone is a fan of thick memory-foam toppers. Those who don’t like the feeling of sinking into the foam can get relief with the eLuxurySupply Rayon from Bamboo Extra Thick Mattress Pad. The extra thick pad is filled with innovative Revoloft fiber that has the same feel as authentic down from geese or ducks but without the allergy-inducing feathers. The company says that this topper is good for any type of mattress, including memory foam, latex or traditional spring-based models. With more than 80 percent of reviews at four or five stars, happy side sleepers say that this pad delivered just the right amount of comfort and space between the body a firm mattress.
The cover of this mattress pad boasts a 160-thread count that is sewn with a double-needle baffle box stitch to keep the fiberfill in place and secure. The company advertises that it has sold more than 1 million mattress pads and values its satisfied customers, so it offers a money-back guarantee if you are not 100% satisfied.
This extra thick pad is the same as our famous rayon from bamboo mattress pad but with extra fillingView Deal
- Happy reviewers say using this mattress pad has been a transformative sleep experience.
- Those who tend to sleep hot found relief with this breathable mattress pad.
- The money-back guarantee is a big plus.
- Some buyers had issues with durability after washing.
- A few side sleepers did not get pressure point relief with this mattress.
The Best Price Mattress 4″ Memory Foam Mattress Topper is actually a hybrid model that includes both memory foam and regular high-density foam, making it one of the best mattress toppers for side sleepers. The top layer of the product consists of 1.5-inches of memory foam and the remaining 2.5-inches are a high-density foam that makes up the base.
That said, this is an Amazon Choice for “best mattress topper queen” and it offers the general same benefits as most memory foam toppers, such as reduced disturbance from sleep partners when they move around. The description also notes that the top layer of memory foam is infused with Green Tea Extract, to help reduce stress and promote restful sleep. Best Price Mattress says that the topper is CertiPUR-US certified and includes a 5-year manufacturer warranty. It also comes with a zippered, polyester mesh cover that is hand-washable.
The memory foam portion is not infused with gel, so this may not be the best option for those who tend to sleep hot.View Deal
- Happy side sleepers noted that this topper relieved most of the aches and pains they were experiencing from sleep.
- Buyers say the topper offers great value and quality and the majority are very pleased.
- Some reviewers found this more supportive thanks to the high-density foam base.
- Because this is made with regular memory foam, some reviewers found that it was too hot at night.
- A percentage of buyers noted that the cover is of poor quality and does not protect the topper.
As Amazon’s choice for “memory foam mattress topper king size” LUCID’s 3-Inch Ventilated Gel Memory Foam Mattress Topper is ideal for side sleepers. It’s deep enough to offer great comfort and ease the pressure on those aching hips and shoulders without being too thick. For those who also sleep hot, the gel-infused memory foam is more comfortable because it offers the cooling properties that a plain memory foam topper does not.
Made from 100% memory foam, the topper conforms to the shape of your body to align the spine and ensure a better night’s sleep. The foam is infused with a gel material that captures and redistributes heat. The foam is high density but that does not mean that it is super firm. Even better, this topper is ventilated for greater airflow and temperature regulation to help keep you more comfortable. This added breathability means you can rest more comfortably.
As with most all memory foam mattress toppers, this one also has an initial new foam scent. This odor will, however, dissipate over the first 24 to 48 hours after you open it. The website notes that the topper comes with a three-year warranty.
Special memory foam formula is extremely soft, airy and responsiveView Deal
- Reviewers who rated this topper highly on Amazon loved walking up pain-free after a night on this toper.
- Many sleepers said this toper added great comfort to too-firm mattresses and made older ones more supportive.
- Some reviewers noted that this is not good for stomach sleepers and is too soft.
- A number of one-star reviews noted poor durability with the foam soon breaking apart.
It may be Amazon’s Choice for “best mattress topper for back pain” but the ViscoSoft 3-Inch Memory Foam Mattress Topper is also one of the best mattress toppers for side sleepers. The high-density memory foam is gel-infused for comfort and aligns the spine to relieve pressure points and help prevent body aches. Added ventilation enhances the heat distribution of the gel foam which also promotes deeper sleep. The ViscoSoft topper was Designed with a “medium firmness” and can be used to make a too-hard mattress more comfortable or revive an older one that is not supportive enough.
This topper also comes with a machine washable cover that is made from bamboo-rayon and has a slip-resistant mesh. It also features adjustable elastic straps to keep the topper in place. The best bonus is a money-back guarantee the provides for a full refund within the first 60 days after you purchase it, as well as a three-year warranty for manufacturing defects.
- With 80% four- and five-star reviews, this topper gets high praise from side sleepers for pain relief.
- Happy buyers love the value for the money because this topper is so comfortable.
- Some reviewers had issues with durability.
- A number of reviewers who did not like the topper had problems with it being too soft.
Slide sleepers love this SleepJoy 2-inch ViscO2 Memory Foam Mattress Topper with Breathable Design for its relief of shoulder and hip pain without being too plush. The topper is made from open-cell memory foam that improves breathability, however, it is not gel-infused. The company says that its ViscO2 memory foam is odor-neutral and does not require the “airing out” that most other toppers require for the chemical smell to dissipate. The mattress topper is manufactured in the USA and meets all quality standards, with the foam certified by CertiPUR-US. It’s also “enhanced with plant-based materials derived from castor beans, which have a lower carbon footprint than traditional memory foam or soy-based foams.”
This is one of the best mattress toppers for side sleepers who do not like the feeling of being deeply enveloped in a thicker foam topper but still want to relieve pressure points and sleep better.
Imagine feeling like you’re sleeping on a plush pillow top mattress, without the new mattress price.View Deal
- 80 percent of the nearly 3,000 reviews of this topper gave it four and five stars for comfort and better sleep.
- Many users say this made an older mattress far more comfortable at a great price.
- The majority of users noted no chemical fumes.
- Reviewers who were not happy noted some issues with durability.
- Even with the thinner two-inch thickness, a proportion of buyers said this topper sleeps hot.
Another topper loved by side sleepers is this Linenspa 3 Inch Gel Swirl Memory Foam Topper. The plush, open-cell memory foam is infused with gel to help regulate temperature so this topper sleeps cooler than one made with regular memory foam. This topper can be added to new or older mattresses for more relief of pressure points, resulting in a better night’s sleep.
The foam is is CertiPUR US certified for quality and meets all safety standards. Like most gel-infused toppers, this one will have an initial odor which can take up to 48 hours to dissipate. This product is backed by a three-year warranty against manufacturer defects.
- Amazon reviewers who are side sleepers love how this topper makes any mattress more comfortable.
- Many happy buyers also noted that they did indeed sleep more comfortably because of the cooling effects.
- A proportion of buyers still had issues with being too hot while sleeping.
- Some reviewers said the topper was too stiff, while others called it too soft.
If side-sleeping is your position of choice, you don’t have to suffer through endless nights of poor sleep and morning aches and pains. Plenty of options exist that can help you improve your quality of life both night and day. Any of these best mattress toppers for side sleepers can be a life-changing addition to your bedroom, so give one a try!