Bean bags are a hip piece of furniture and while they may not find their way into just any type of décor, they are often the choice for contemporary-style homes. Today, we’re going to talk about bean bag beds and discover more about it means to choose the right kind, take a walk through the list of features, and look at some of the best bean bag beds that money can buy right now.
Bean Bag Cover Materials
The first thing that you come in contact with when it comes to bean bags is the cover material. Knowing about the different types of cover will give you an idea of what to expect when you look into the specifications of a certain product, so here are the main types of bean bag chair covers that you can expect to find.
Cotton bean bags aren’t the most common type of all, which is a shame considering the fact that cotton fibers have some excellent properties that a bean bag owner could benefit from. Cotton is a very soft fabric that feels really pleasant against the skin. It is also quite durable and most covers come with concealed zippers that allow you to remove them and clean them in the washing machine.
Synthetic covers are made from materials such as polyester or microsuede. Some of these covers can be cleaned in the washing machine, while others require spot cleaning/wiping with a clean cloth. Polyester covers are very common in bean bag beds and chairs, and they are more cost-effective alternatives to bag covered in materials such as genuine leather.
And speaking of genuine leather, you can expect to find bean bags that are covered in this material. They are extremely durable and very easy to clean, but they tend to be very expensive, as most products that are made with real leather are.
Faux leather bean bag beds and chairs are a great alternative for those of you that are on a budget but would like a leather bean bag even so. Naturally, they won’t be as durable as bean bags made with actual leather, but they are just as easy to clean and if you care for them properly, they can look good for long periods of time.
Faux fur bean bags have become very popular over the recent years. They look fluffy and adorable, and they are also very pleasant to sit on. They are an excellent choice for people who are interested in how fur feels but want an animal cruelty-free product.
Benefits of Bean Bag Beds
If you’re not sure why on Earth you could possibly want a bean bag bed, let’s look over some of the uncontested benefits of these products:
- Bean bags in the proper sizing can easily turn from a bean bag chair to a bed, with a minimal effort on your behalf. Most models literally require you to flip them from an upright position to a flat one. Some models have another mechanism for turning them into beds, and you’ll have to tuck the edges into the bag’s body so that you can unfold it. There are no additional tools required to turn a bean bag chair into a bed, no complicated steps to follow, and you won’t need any people to help you do it.
- We have to consider the portability of these products, as bean bags are typically lightweight and pretty easy to carry from one room to another. Unlike a sofa or an armchair, a bean bag doesn’t always have to sit in a single place in the house, as you can move them around with ease wherever you feel the need to sit down and lounge on them. That means that if you want to lounge on the balcony and read your favorite book and the later lie down in the living room and watch your favorite TV series, you can pick up or drag your bean bag across the entire house to do so.
- They are an affordable alternative to armchairs, some portable bed models, or sofa. A lot of people have given up other forms of living room sitting furniture in favor of placing multiple bean bags and comfortably lounging on them.
- If you have sleep overs and need an extra spot for your guests to sleep on, bean bag beds can serve as a temporary sleeping solution for anyone who needs an extra spot to crash in for the night.
What to Look for In a Bean Bag Bed
When you’re ready to invest in a bean bag bed, there are certain features that will make it easier for you to enjoy all the benefits that this type of product can provide. So, when you’re on the market looking for a bean bag bed, here are some features you can expect to encounter (and it’s important to understand what they do) and a list of stuff to look out for when you buy:
- The size of the bean bag is the first thing to look out for because these things range from child-sized products to regular lounging beds and sofas. First of all, a bean bag bed should fit into a certain area without you having to move stuff around. There should be plenty of space for you to unfold it and use it as a bed whenever you need to lie down. You also want to make sure that the bean bag is large enough to accommodate a certain number of people. It’s fine if you’re the only one that’s going to sit on the bean bag, but if you want multiple people to use it at the same time, size is going to be super important.
- The shape of the bean bag is another feature you want to pay attention to. The shape of the bean bag bed is important when used as a chair and when used as a bed, as both of these positions need to be comfortable for you or whoever is using the bag. Round bean bags are the most common ones of all, and some of them have cover edges tucked into the body of the bean bag to let you easily turn it into a bed. Some bean bag models can be placed on the side when you want to use them as chair and, when you want to use them as a bed, simply lay them flat on the floor.
- Some bean bag beds have removable covers that can be cleaned in the washing machine and this is really important for those of you that prioritize ease of maintenance above other features that a bean bag might have. Naturally, not all materials that are used to make the cover can be cleaned inside the washing machine. Counter intuitively, the cover material that’s easy to clean isn’t even washing machine-compatible. Leather is a material that you can simply wipe with a clean cloth and it doesn’t stain. However, leather bean bags are expensive, which is why a lot of people opt for bean bags with microsuede or polyester covers.
Is it OK to sleep on a bean bag?
It might be tempting to spend your night sleeping on a bean bag and, while they do provide short-term sleeping solutions, they can never provide the same level of comfort and support that a mattress can. A bean bag bed is good for the occasional nap or for an overnight guest, but it is not a viable permanent sleeping solution.
Are bean bag beds good for your back?
The answer to this question is a little more complicated, so bear with us while we explain everything. Normally, sleeping on a bean bag for a short period of time shouldn’t put too much strain on your spine, but this depends on what the bean bag is filled with, of course. Some of them are curved to provide lumbar and neck support, and they are filled with foam to make them more contouring and supportive. However, as we mentioned before, bean bag beds are not designed to permanently replace a bed and, with most models, you spine will likely end up resting in an unnatural position and that might cause you back pain in the long-term.
Do you have to refill bean bags?
In time, all types of refill that are usually found in a bean bag will end up losing their flexibility and won’t return to their original shape once you take the pressure of your body off them. That means that you will have to occasionally invest in refill material. Thankfully, it isn’t that expensive and it quite easy to find conveniently=priced bags of refill on the market.
Top Bean Bag Beds
If you a fan of faux fur, you are going to love this gigantic bean bag chair. It’s a medium-size bean bag that can hold children and adults alike, while also focusing on saving a little bit of space. Don’t be worried about the chair being too small, as it still measures 48″ x 48″ x 36″. It comes with either brown or gray faux fur so that you can choose the one that best matches your existing room décor. The chair is filled with multi-density polyurethane foam micro-cushions which are designed to balance the amount of support and cushioning you can get from such a product. The micro-cushions have been compressed in the liner to make sure that the shipping dimensions of the product are reasonable.
Wanting a bean bag chair is perfectly normal considering how comfortable these things can be. This one, for instance, is made with the same type of high-density polyurethane foam micro-cushions that are used to make the Saxx bean bag as well (no surprise here, considering the fact that we’re dealing with the same manufacturer. This is a multi-functional bean bag chair that can double as a bed. The filling is surrounded by a microvelvet cover that feels really soft to the touch but also easy to clean, since it’s removable and machine washable. If you’re worried about dimensions, know that this bean bag measures 58″D x 48″W x 40″H when placed on the side, and 72″Diameter x 22″H when used as a bed.
Can you imagine watching a movie while lying comfortably on a bean bag sofa? If that’s something you want to experience, we recommend taking a look into this product. Available in a bunch of different colors to match several room chromatic schemes, this modern seating option is an alternative to couches that tend to occupy a lot of space and that make it difficult to find a comfortable position for Netflix binging. The microsuede cover has a velvety feel to it, while the seating is filled with foam and polystyrene beads. It can support a total weight of 300 pounds and measures 33” H x 44.75” W x 68.75” L. It can seat up to two people and maintenance implies wiping the cover with a clean cloth.
The Latitude Run® is the kind of product that you spend money on when you want to create a comfortable spot for yourself to lounge in. The cylinder-shaped bag can support a total weight of 500 pounds, and can seat two people or a single person lounging. It is designed with the same type of microsuede cover as the sofa we’ve previously shown you, and comes prefilled with contouring and supportive shredded foam. It measures 34” H x 72” W and has a 150.8” circumference. Since the cover is made from microsuede, you are going to have to wipe it clean with a wet cloth.
You can be selfish when it comes to bean bag beds, or you can invest in product that you can share with your friends. If you fit in the latter category, let us show you a bean bag sofa that’s perfect for spending time with friends. This baby measures 32” H x 60” W x 40” D and has a total weight capacity of 600 pounds, which is more than expected for a product fitting to this category. It is filled with foam and comes with multiple color and cover fabric options (for instance, the grey union color version has a denim cover, while the black version comes with a polyester cover).
Our next suggestion for an epic bean bag chair is this model that comes from Big Joe, one of the most well-known brands of bean bag chair and fillings on the market. This 36” H x 72” W x 48” D chair comes with a weight capacity of 250 pounds and can comfortably fit two adults or a single person lying down. This Big Joe bag comes with multiple cover color and material options, so you expect the fabric to vary depending on the color you opt for. Most bags are available with a polyester cover that requires spot cleaning. For additional comfort, this bean bag bed doesn’t come with your traditional beads, but is filled with comfortable shredded foam.
We’re ending our list with a stylish product that comes, once again, from Latitude Run®. The epitome of comfort, this single-person bean bag bed is designed with a curved surface to provide support for key body parts, such as the neck or the lumbar region. It measures 21” H x 24” W x 72” D and can support a total weight of 500 pounds, which is more than enough for a single person. The chenille cover can be removed and cleaned in the washing machine, while the filling is made from contouring foam that takes the shape of your body and delivers a reasonable amount of cushioning for whoever uses it.
There are some things that you need to know before buying a bean bag bed, such as the fact that this a product that was never meant to replace the permanent need for an actual bed with a supportive mattress. However, if you enjoy your afternoon naps in front of the TV or reading your favorite book, you will find that bean bag beds are comfortable enough to prevent waking up with back pain from a mere power nap. Looking into the different types of cover fabric and fillings will put you on the right path towards making a good purchase.