How to select the right ceiling fan?
Ceiling fans are an integral part of the home décor. More and more people are now giving preference to install ceiling fans in lieu of central air conditioners. It is doubtless that this is a good decision. Ceiling fans are very much affordable and are also energy efficient. However, the benefits of ceiling fans can only be enjoyed when the right selection is done. Selection of the right ceiling fan is just not limited to the right style and color. There are several other factors that need to be considered.
1) First of all, you need to consider the size of the room so that the fan provides maximum efficiency. For rooms with area of 75 square feet or less, select 30 inch to 36 inch fan. 36 inches to 42 inches fans are ideal for rooms with area up to 144 square feet, and for larger rooms featuring area space above 144 square feet, select 50 inch to 54 inch fan.
2) The next factor to be considered is the height of the room. The optimal placement of ceiling fans is between 8 to 9 feet from the floor level. If the height of the room is less, then ceiling hugging fans should be selected and if the height is more, then ceiling fans with extended rod should be preferred.
3) The most vital factor of a ceiling fan is the motor. The motor is responsible for operation and air circulation. Prefer high quality motors with the sealed bearings and heavy duty windings. Ceiling fans with less and powerful and small motors are known to make a lot of noise and produce heat also.
4) Ceiling fans are available with different finishes. Enamel, wood and metal finishes are some common options. When choosing a finish, assure that it is resistant to fading and scratching. Brass finishes are the best selection as they are durable and thick.
5) Assure to check the warranty of the ceiling fan you choose to buy as different fans feature different warranty. Some of the fans even feature life time warranty and in home service.
Conclusively, try and purchase the ceiling fan from well known manufacturers and home stores only and avoid buying from local discount stores to prevent buying cheaply manufactured and over priced ceiling fans.