Kohler and American Standard are popular walk-in tub brands. Both company’s products are made differently to meet customers’ needs and remain ahead of the competition.
American Standard Walk-In Tubs: Our Take
American Standard walk-in tubs improve the bathing experience for people of all ages. The company offers four walk-in tubs models. Each design has unique features and are available at different prices. The four types of tubs include whirlpool tubs, air tubs, combo massage tubs, and soaking tubs.
Pros & Cons
- Choose between inward opening doors (for limited bathroom space) and outward opening doors (wheelchair accessible)
- ADA compliant seats make bathing relaxing and easier
- Seven in-built lights for chromotherapy (optional)
- Scented aromatherapy system (optional)
- 44 air and water jets for whole body hydromassage (optional)
- A Quick Drain system empties the tub within two minutes
- Slip-resistant floors and grab bars for safety
- Acrylic; durable, and sanitary
- Free estimates and in-home evaluations
- One-touch button control allows you to adjust hydromassage jets, lights, and other features
- Quick drain and other features cost extra
- Acrylic coating tubs cost more than other walk-in tubs
Kohler Walk-In Tubs: Our Take
Other than their essential features, Kohler tubs offer maximum comfort and convenience to bathers. Its seat is 21.5 inches wide, wider than most walk-in tubs. Let’s look at more features that make the Kohler walk-in tub one of the best.
Pros & Cons
- Kohler walk-in tubs have an extra-wide door for left and right-handed people
- Kohler walk-in tubs have a 3-inch step-in threshold for easy access
- The tub’s extra-wide seat has grooves on the sides to prevent pooling
- Kohler tubs have ten adjustable whirlpool jets and BubbleMassage air jets to massage your body
- The tub has a heated backrest with adjustable temperatures
- The heated backrest and jets can be easily adjusted using a button control panel
- Kohler installs LuxStone wall surround with the purchase of every Kohler bathtub
- Ergonomic handheld shower with three different intensities
- Kohler tubs fill and drain fast to reduce waiting time
- The company offers custom-made tubs from 52-60 inches long and 28-32 inches wide
- The Kohler walk-in tub is not wheelchair accessible. They include this feature only in the Specialty walk-in bath.
- No ozone self-cleaning feature like the American Standard walk-in tubs
American Standard vs. Kohler: Comparison
Warranty & Installation
You won’t pay additional installation costs if you opt for Kohler or the American Standard tub. Both companies also offer discounts on purchases and various financing options. Both brands assure the quality of their products and offer a lifetime warranty on the tub parts and labor.
Kohler and American Standard tubs have a low step-in height of 3 inches and 2 inches, respectively. To ensure the safety of bathers, they also include grab bars and handheld showers as an optional feature.
These walk-in tubs offer various features for a luxurious spa experience when bathing. They both have hydrotherapy jets to massage your back, arms, and legs, which you can adjust to target a specific part of your body. Also, you can use any of these tubs for chromotherapy and aromatherapy.
Kohler offers only one walk-in tub model, unlike American Standard. The latter offers four models with various features like air jets, whirlpool jets, combo massage, and soaking depth. Nevertheless, the Kohler walk-in tub includes similar features in their tub.
American Standard tubs have up to 44 hydrotherapy jets, while Kohler walk-in tubs have 27 jets. A standard tub from both companies does not include these features. You can request the manufacturer to include them in your tub for an extra fee.
American Standard tubs have a self-cleaning ozone system. The cleaning system prevents germ accumulation, reducing the chance of bacterial infections.
Kohler includes estimates of their tubs’ prices on their website. Depending on accessories and features, you can spend $2,000 to $20,000 on a Kohler walk-in tub. In some cases, the installation cost is not factored into the final price of your tub. You must schedule an in-home visit to get a price estimate for an American Standard walk-in tub.
How to Pick the Right Walk-In Tub
Walk-in tubs are pricey. You must set a budget for the most suitable model when shopping around. Walk-in tubs can cost thousands of dollars without factoring in the installation cost.
Both Kohler and American Standard offer financing options to their potential customers. While financing could help you pay for a new walk-in tub in flexible installments, you should have a good credit score.
Ease of Installation
You need to buy a walk-in tub that fits the dimensions of your bathroom. Pick a walk-in tub that would suit your plumbing, electrical work, and the bathroom’s layout.
Apart from their lifetime warranty, American Standard helps you with installation at no extra cost. On the other hand, Kohler has Authorized Dealers who will do an in-home evaluation and install your walk-in tub in one day.
Number of Safety Features
Safety features are a must-have if you’re an older person or homeowner with mobility issues. If you risk falling or slipping in the bathroom, features like anti-slip flooring, grab bars, and a wider seating area are indispensable.
Walk-in tubs aren’t cheap. You need value for money and a guarantee that your new walk-in tub is free from defects. Both American Standard and Kohler offer a lifetime warranty on their walk-in tubs. The warranty will be valid so long as you own the home and the defects occur during regular residential use.
Potential Therapeutic Benefits
Modern walk-in tubs come with features that support therapeutic forms of treatment. Pick a walk-in tub with air and water jets for aromatherapy and hydrotherapy benefits.
You can also choose a walk-in tub with built-in lights if you want to practice chromotherapy. Both Kohler and American Standard have these features as luxury options.
American Standard or Kohler Conclusion
Kohler and American Standard both offer quality products. You can pick American Standard if you’re looking for a walk-in tub with ADA-compliant features at a bargain price.
If you’re experiencing mobility issues a walk-in tub would help you become independent while taking a bath. While Kohler is a bit pricier, it offers excellent luxury options such as a walk-in shower, heated seats, massage features, and more.
Kohler walk-in tubs are ideal for homeowners who don’t need a wheelchair-accessible walk-in tub. While the American Standard has multiple models to choose from, Kohler combines all the features in their walk-in tubs.