A feng shui consultant is a person who uses the ancient Chinese practices of feng shui to help you create a more harmonious energy flow in your space. Each feng shui expert will bring their own unique way of approaching a space. This depends on their particular expertise, the school where they learned their practice, and their preferences and taste. It is a good idea to hire a feng shui consultant whose opinion you value because one of the most important aspects of this relationship is trust.
A feng shui consultant will visit your home to assess your space, taking into account the orientation of your home, the layout of the rooms, and your personal needs and desires for your home. They will use feng shui tools like a bagua map to chart the energy flow of the home and make recommendations that will enhance the energy flow of your home. Some of these recommendations might include a particular arrangement of furniture, removing clutter, and adding particular colors and symbols to create a space that is welcoming and supportive of your well-being.
When to Use a Feng Shui Consultant
A feng shui consultant may not be the first solution that you would consider when contemplating new interior design, but it is a good idea to think about this option under certain circumstances.
- Moving to a New Space – When you are beginning again in a new environment, this is an ideal opportunity to create a solid foundation for interior and exterior design. Using a feng shui consultant can help you create an environment that supports your goals and well-being.
- Challenges in Your Current Space – You might notice that your home environment feels destructive and unsupportive. People may experience this in a variety of ways, from not sleeping well to waking stress and conflict. A feng shui practitioner can help you identify underlying imbalances and correct these to create greater harmony.
- New Goals – A feng shui consultant can help you create an environment that is supportive of new goals and challenges that you want to pursue in your life, such as a new career, more romance, or creating opportunities for attracting more wealth and abundance in your life.
Feng Shui Consultant Cost
The cost of a feng shui consultant will differ according to the area and according to different pricing structures. Some consultants charge a flat rate according to the rooms or square footage in the house, while others charge you by the hour.
- Cost per Hour – Most feng shui consultants charge between $100-$400 dollars per hour. An average feng shui consultation will take around 2 hours.
- Cost per Room – Feng shui consultants charge around $200-$500 dollars per room for a consultation. For most home situations, you will be paying around $500-$1500 for a whole home consultation.
- Cost per Square Footage – Some feng shui experts will charge by square footage. Expect to pay between $.0.50-$2 per square foot.
Factors That Influence the Cost of a Feng Shui Consultant
Feng shui consultants range in cost because of a range of factors.
- Experience – Feng shui practitioners range in experience. Some may have years of experience and high-profile clients. Expect to pay more for this consultation than a feng shui designer who is just starting out.
- Location – Feng shui is more popular and trendy in certain environments. A feng shui expert in Los Angeles will charge more than one in a smaller city or rural environment.
- Size and Scope of the Project – The size of the space where you want a consultation, as well as the complexity of the project, will have an impact on the cost of the consultation.
- Digital or In-Person Consultation – Some feng shui consultants will offer digital consultations rather than in-person. In general, digital consultations cost less than in-person ones, but they may require more leg work on the client’s part.
Steps When Hiring a Feng Shui Consultant
Making the most of hiring a feng shui expert will require some initial work on the part of the homeowner.
- Do Your Research – Research feng shui consultants in your area before you settle on one. Read any available reviews and check their credentials, qualifications, and experiences. Look at any project they have completed to see if their style aligns with yours.
- Set Up a Consultation – Once you have narrowed down a list of a few consultants, schedule a first consultation to discuss goals, strategies, and style. Some feng shui practitioners have a free initial consultation which may help you know if they are a good fit for you.
- Discuss Fees and Services – A vital part of the consultation will be discussing fees and services that are included. This will help you understand how this consultant charges and what those charges include. Some consultants’ charging methods will benefit you more than others. For a small project, it might be more cost-effective to hire a consultant that charges by the hour rather than the room.
- Provide Information – The more information a feng shui consultant has, the better they will be able to complete the job to your satisfaction. Pertinent information might include your home’s layout, orientation, challenges you are experiencing, and future goals for your space.
- Review Recommendations – After the consultation and the information you provide, the consultant will provide you with recommendations for your space. Review these and note any questions or concerns you have about their recommendations.
- Implement the Recommendations – Once you have reviewed the recommendations so that you understand and agree with them, it is time to implement them. Work with your feng shui advisor to get rid of clutter, rearrange furniture, and incorporate symbols and colors to balance your space.
- Follow Up – Implement the suggestions of your feng shui consultant. Live with the recommendations for a period of time. Follow up with the consultant to make adjustments to your space. Some consultants will offer a follow-up session to make sure that you are happy with the result.
Questionnaire for a Feng Shui Consultant
When you are interviewing feng shui experts, it is essential to ask questions that will help you understand their process, methods, fees, and style. This will help ensure that your needs and budget align with their process.
- What are your credentials? Feng shui is not a regulated field, so practitioners vary according to credentials. Some feng shui designers will have studied under a feng shui master. This will help you to establish the credibility of the consultant and determine which school of feng shui they subscribe to.
- What is your experience? Feng shui consultants should be able to provide you with a portfolio of their work and experience. This will also help you gauge their particular style to see if it works with yours.
- Can you provide me with client testimonials? A feng shui consultant who has experience in their field should be able to provide you with client recommendations and testimonials that you can verify.
- What are the fees, and what does this include? You should be clear after interviewing the feng shui expert about how they charge and the services that this fee includes.
- What can I expect from the consultation? The feng shui expert you choose should be able to provide you with a step-by-step plan for the consultation and give you any steps you need to complete before the home consultation.