Cooking outdoors is highly underrated, so investing in a grill seems like a wonderful idea, especially in a reality where we’re forced by circumstances to spend as much time inside as possible. If you are the proud owner of a little yard, investing in a grill can push you to spend more time outdoors, preparing meals that have quite the exquisite flavor.
Today, we’re going to be reviewing Blackstone’s line of flat top grills, but not before we understand a little more about these products in general.
Best Value: Blackstone 2 Burner Flat Top Grill
Simple, lightweight, and portable. This grill is perfect for those on the go and have a modest budget in mind.
Best for Large Gatherings: Blackstone Outdoor Griddle Station
This flat top grill is the best choice for large parties, events, or family barbecues.
Best for workspace: Blackstone 4 Burner Flat Top Grill
This Blackstone grill offers two side shelves for your ingredients and dishes, but also a shelf underneath for extra storage.
Best Small Design: Blackstone 2 Burner Flat Top Propane Grill
This option is great for those with limited space. However, you still need a table or surface to rest it on.
Bargain Buy: Blackstone 1 Burner Flat Top Grill
This Blackstone grill is one of their smallest models and most affordable.
Safest Option: Blackstone 1814 Tabletop Griddle
This model may be small, but it’s mighty and can cook for a large gathering or family. The additional lid makes this grill super safe as you can cover the burner when in use.
Pros & Cons of a Blackstone Flat Top Grill
- Blackstone flat grills are fairly easy to assemble, taking up a maximum of one hour of your time. Most of them need a mere screwdriver to put all the parts together. Smaller models can easily be assembled by a single person.
- Even if we’re talking just about flat grills, their product pool is quite varied. They offer grills with one, two, even four burners, in all sizes, depending on what your cooking needs are.
- They offer portable models that are lightweight and occupy little space. When paired with a propane tank, smaller Blackstone flat top grills can make excellent camping companions, but are also suitable for people with limited backyard space. Larger models are perfect for people who want to make generous and varied meals faster.
- Even models that have multiple burners allow for individual control of each. That means that you have full control over the heat output of each particular burner, which is super important when you want to use just one of them, or when you’re cooking multiple foods at once with each having different temperature requirements.
- Blackstone’s line of flat top grills is designed to be durable, as their products are made from quality stainless steel.
- If parts of your grill should fail, Blackstone sells replacement parts so you won’t have to invest in a completely new grill.
- Probably the biggest drawback of Blackstone’s grill line is that they are all powered by gas. If you were interested in something along the lines of a charcoal grill, then Blackstone is not the brand to turn to.
How to Choose a Blackstone Grill
Choosing a Blackstone grill is a process very similar to choosing a grill made by any other manufacturer, and it needs to take into account the different types of grills, how they are fueled, what their size is, and what additional accessories it may or may not have:
- The different types of grill available are often classified by their fuel source. Charcoal-fueled grills require you to leave the flames to reduce for about half an hour max before you can actually cook food. Gas grills are either connected to your home’s gas pipeline or use propane tanks to fuel them up. They are easy to start because of their quick ignition system, and they take little time to heat up.
- Another two factors that go hand-in-hand and must be considered before buying a grill are its size and power. These two are directly linked to the amount of food that you normally cook/how many people you’re trying to feed at once. People usually opt for grills with two burners, but keep in mind that grills with more than burner are usually bulkier in size and will occupy more space. Also, if you purchase a grill with multiple burners, make sure that you opt for models that have individual controls for each burner so you can have control over their power.
- Keep in mind that grill power is measured in British Thermal Units (or BTUs), which is a measurement of how much heat it produces. A common pitfall for people who have never bought grills is to think that more BTUs results in a better grilling experience, which is false. Larger grills give out more BTUs but they are not necessary if you don’t use the grill to cook full meals or don’t plan on making a lot of food at once.
- The placement of the grill is also something to take into account because it may impact the size of the grill that’s right for your outdoor space. Unless you have room to place grilling tables or stations next to grill, you’ll probably want to have it as close to the kitchen as possible. Do you have the extra space for it? If not, maybe it’s best if you opt for a grill that does fit in the free space that’s closest to the kitchen.
- Accessories are often left last in the list of things to pay attention to, but they can be just as important as the other shopping aspects. Leaving aside the cooking accessories that you probably own or have to buy separately, consider the accessories that are part of the grill, such as wind stoppers, foldable side tables, or extra racks and shelves for storing food before and after cooking it.
Blackstone is a company founded back in 2005, when they released their first product: the Blackstone griddle. Ever since, they have been focused on expanding their line of products to offer an outdoor cooking experience that’s pleasant, stress-free, and reassuring because you know you’ve spent money on quality products.
Today, the company has partnerships with chefs to give you an amazing buying experience, tips, tricks, and recipes created by the people who thrive in the art of cooking. Their products are available at grand retailers, including Amazon, Lowe’s, The Home Depot, Target, and others.
What’s even more important is that Blackstone sells everything you need for a complete outdoor cooking experience: from their famous grills and griddles to covers, carrying bags, spices, apparel, accessories, and even replacement parts.
How to Clean a Blackstone Flat Top Grill
Cleaning a Blackstone flat top grill isn’t really complicated, but there are a few cleaning tools and supplies that you want to invest in for proper long term maintenance. Cleaning a flat top grill requires a scraper, a scrub pad, a grill brush, grill screen, a grill pad holder, a flat top grill cleaner, and a grill brick. In order to clean your grill, you will have to do the following:
- Contrary to what people think, you don’t want to wait for the grill to cool down before you actually clean it. Experts recommend heating up the surface of the grill to a temperature of around 350 degrees.
- Grab your grill scraper and remove any food residue that might be left on the surface of the grill.
- When you’re done scraping off the food bits, you can start pouring warm water on the surface of the grill in order to clean the grease particles. Make sure that you pour the water carefully, otherwise it will splash everything and might even cause burns if it lands on your skin after splooshing.
- Allow the cooking surface to cool down for a bit, and then place the grill pad and the screen on top of each other. You will use this combo to scrub the surface of the grill meticulously.
- When you’re done scrubbing, it’s time to wash the surface of the grill using water and wipe it.
- Use stainless steel cleanser which is typically a spray-on product.
The Best Blackstone Flat Top Grill
The first item on today’s list is a Blackstone 2-burner grill that comes with the power and design to help you make the best out of your cooking experiences every time. This 28.5” gas griddle is made from cast iron and aluminum, and can operate at 500 degrees Fahrenheit with a BTU output of 34,000. It offers even heat distribution, an optimized grease management system, a thick rolled steel griddle cooking surface, and a side table for extra storage purposes. Each of the two burners is controlled independently with a power dial that helps increase or decrease the heat output for each.
If you’re looking for a larger and more powerful version of the 2-burner grill we showed you earlier, this is the right product to look into. It’s a 36” griddle that’s equipped with two side shelves for extra storage and is created using the same quality materials that you’ll come to see in all of Blackstone’s grills. The 4 burners each have their own individual controls, so you can adjust the temperature depending on what you’re looking at the time. The stainless steel burners go hand-in-hand with the thick rolled steel surface to provide a longer life and a more even heat distribution.
When you first look at this Blackstone grill, it might seem identical to the one mentioned earlier, but taking a closer look at the specification will reveal the differences between the two. This option comes with its own propane tank for those of you that don’t have a natural gas pipeline at home. It offers an amazing heat output of 60,000 BTUs thanks to its 4 burners that have individual ignition and heat control. The stainless steel construction ensures long term durability, while the two side shelves will come in handy when you’re cooking meals outdoors.
Let’s welcome yet another quality Blackstone flat top grill, only this time, it’s a countertop product that could be used both indoors and outside. The 22” cooking surface is powered by two individual burners with independent heat control for each of them. Made from stainless steel, this grill is designed to provide a heat output of 24,000 BTU. The H-style burners will make sure that the cooking surface of the grill is evenly heated, so that you can successfully use the entire surface to prepare delicious meals.
If you want a smaller version of the grill we talked about earlier, let us introduce you to this baby right here. Powered by liquid propane, this grill requires a regulator and an adapter in order to attach a 20 lb. propane tank and fuel it. Unlike other models, this Blackstone grill doesn’t come with a hood, but it does offer a cooking surface of 278 square inches. It offers the same quality stainless steel construction that we’ve seen in all models, and a heat output of 12,000 BTUs.
Sometimes, all you’re looking for is a portable grill, and Blackstone has you covered in this chapter as well. This 17” griddle equipped with a single burner has all the qualities and features needed to be the best portable grill yet. It measures 17.5″L x 8.5″H x 18″W and is used as a countertop grill that can easily fit enough food for one or two people to be cooked at once. It features an integrated grease tray that ensures an easier cleaning process.
Accessories & Covers
Part of prolonging the lifespan of your Blackstone grill is choosing products that can protect it when it’s not in use. Even the most high-quality grills are prone to getting damages over time, so proper covers are a must-have purchase. Blackstone offers a versatile line of grill covers to choose from, so make sure that you choose one that’s compatible with the size of your grill so it can have a snug fight and offer protection to the best of its possibilities.
Of course, it is important to have the right grilling accessories if you want to give yourself the opportunity for a seamless cooking experience. Blackstone has you covered in that aspect as well, offering a wide range of grilling accessories that are made from high-quality materials and available at really good prices. That being said, you can choose from cutting boards to natural gas conversion kits.
Can you use Blackstone griddle in the garage?
This really depends on a few details related to the construction of your garage. The space needs to be properly ventilated, have a spot where you can place your grill away from any flammable materials and substances.
Is a Blackstone griddle worth it?
Yes, it is, because their products are constructed using high-quality and durable steel and are available for a fraction of the cost of what you’d end up paying for other outdoor grills. Even more, the company sells replacement parts, which means that if something gets damaged and there’s a replacement part available for it, you won’t have to spend money buying an entirely new grill.
Which is better Blackstone or Blue Rhino?
The truth of the matter is, both of these brands offer quality grills for outdoor cooking. So, you can’t go wrong no matter which one you choose.
When you’re on the market looking to purchase a Blackstone flat top grill, keep in mind where and when you’re going to use this product. This will determine the number of burners that your future grill needs to have, how much extra storage space is needed to avoid too many trips back and forth to and from the kitchen, but also whether or not you’re going to have to invest in a propane tank or can connect the grill to your natural gas pipe.