How to transform garage into living space
Are you in need of extra living space as the kids are growing or new members have been added to the household? Are you tight on budget and cannot afford to buy a new house? You wish to create a living space within the available area only? Well, if this is so, then the best way to add living space is to transform your garage into living space. Resorting to this solution shall not only help you create a nice living space but shall also cost you much less.
Follow the below mentioned instructions to transform a garage space into a living space –
1) First of all, you need to find out whether you are allowed to do construction in a garage space or not. If yes, you need to get the building or construction permit.
2) Secondly, you need to remove everything from the garage to start the process.
3) Once the garage space is empty, evaluate the available space and ascertain how the place is to be designed. Determine where the bed is going to be kept, where the wardrobe will be, etc.
4) Hire a professional and get the wiring done and electrical outlets installed. You would require lighting fixtures to be installed near the bed, a fan on the ceiling, main source lighting and more.
5) Most of the garage floors slop downwards. So you need to level the floor. This implies using floor underlayment or placing a new slab. In addition, garage floors are mostly made of cement. So once the floor is leveled, impart good flooring to the area. The best option would be to employ tiles.
6) Most of the garages do not feature a window and instead boast a huge door. Consider making the entry small by erecting a wall and also provision a window.
7) Remove a part of the interior wall paneling to determine whether the walls are insulated or not. If the walls are not insulated, you would have to insulate them.
8) Once the preparation work for creating a living space is completed, paint the walls of the garage in a bright color.
9) Now you need to introduce furniture pieces to the room. As the area has been a garage space, space is definitely going to be limited, and the ceiling height would also be low.
10) Select, compact and easy to move furniture pieces.