How to Select Library Furniture
Designing your home library with the appropriate library furniture is fairly a simple task. Unlike the furniture pieces of the other rooms, the furniture for the library is highly functional. You need to decide the mood that you wish to impart your library and accordingly buy the furniture pieces. You may create a perfect reading retreat with mahogany desk and leather chairs, or a luxurious haven with tufted ottoman and chaise lounge.
1) First of all, you need to measure the free space you have in your library. By taking measurements before the final purchases, you shall be sure that the purchased furniture shall properly fit in the available space.
2) The second thing you need to work on is the shelves. You can choose among hanging, recessed and free standing according to your preferences, needs and installation abilities. Assure that the shelves you choose is tall enough to hold your largest books. Built in bookcases with sturdy hardwood frames are not only versatile but also timeless.
3) The third thing you need to decide upon is desks, tables, couches and chairs. It is recommended to select desks and tables that have a lot of surface space so that you can decorate your library. For the selection of couches and chairs, you need to consider your preferred reading posture. If you prefer to stretch out and doze with a book then you should go for a big sofa in sumptuousness fabric. A pair of club chairs would be perfect if you prefer to sit up and read.
4) The next thing is to add lighting fixtures. Assure that the fixtures you select provide enough light and match well with the décor of the library. You may also select a floor lamp to illuminate your reading area.
5) Now you need to decorate the area. For the walls that are not covered with bookshelves may be decorated with a fine painting with a simple frame. Antique maps and old black and white photographs, are also good options for decoration of walls. White pillar candles or a globe can also be placed on a table. Select an area rug for the floor. Choosing Persian and plush rugs will give accents to your library and also impart a comfy feel. However, assure that you do not overdo the area and keep it simple and sophisticated.