Pallets have been popping up for many years in DIY furniture projects due to their low cost, versatility, and ease of use. One of the best ways to repurpose them is to use them for extra storage (because really who doesn’t need more storage?). Using the pallet vertically creates excellent storage that is perfect for any small space! This project requires only a few modifications to the original pallet so don’t be daunted by the size, this one won’t take nearly as long as you think.
- tape measure
- spare piece of wood
- white paint
- sticker letters if desired
1. Start by cleaning off the pallet (clear cobwebs or dirt if you sourced your pallet from outdoors).
2. Plan where you would like shelving in the pallet. Here we used all of the horizontal cross pieces for shelving and left the top open for large paper rolls. Measure the space between the top of the pallet and the parallel wood slat by length of the slat from the center and distance from the parallel piece to the top of the pallet.
3. Use the measurements from above to cut enough pieces of wood to fill in each gap between the parallel wood slats and the top of the pallet.
4. Nail these wood pieces into place. Once you have done this you have created your nice pocket shelves.
For an additional pop here we added some paint to each of the wood slats which now form the front of the shelves. Once the paint dried we added wording to a few of the rows to label what is being stored (we used simple sticker letters for this but you could handwrite your labels or get creative with this).
Another additional extra not pictured here would be to add extra nails or hooks from the shelving racks. You could hang items for storage from here if needed. We went without this extra for this piece as it is being used for craft room storage- particularly crepe paper, wrapping paper, and oilcloth rolls. This is the best vertical storage and absolutely perfect for small space living!
Once you have decided where to use your new storage shelf, it is best to screw the entire shelving system into the wall to prevent it from falling or moving!